Bargain 2018 ES ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DezzertRider

Reaction score
I was in a dealer today sitting on a new 2018 FJR A and the salesman said, we have a used one out front but it has some scratches. Went out and looked at the used one and discovered it was the ES model. Apparently the guy that bought it, dropped it and came back to the dealer and traded it in for a Spyder. I could tell the "Scratches" were from a zero speed drop. Mirror took the brunt of the tip over, left bag had some scratches and stator cover scratched up a little. Asking price is $12,999.00 I'm pretty tempted to trade my 2004 in for it. Mileage is 84 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'll be the first
smile.png
. Is the mirror solid? i.e. does the stalk feel loose if you grab it? If so it might indicate a broken mount beneath the fairing, common issue it seems, and could be fairly costly both in time and parts to repair.

Sounds like a steal to me if you can tolerate that color
rolleyes.gif
big question is what will they give you for yours? Happy shopping...the ES is a great bike.......ff

Do you trust the dealer?

Ask the salesman to call the 'trade in guy' while you are there and confirm the story and that the mirror stay was not broken.

You dont know that they havnt fixed it with a zip tie and bubble gum.

And are they selling it with the remainder of the one yr warranty, or no warranty? Does it still qualify for YES, if that is of interest.

-Steve

If you're interested in a '18, that's an epic score. Regarding the mirror stay, pay the dealer an hour labor to take off the front trim piece for an inspection. If broken, bargain hard and have them replace it, or better yet, knock another $500 - $700 off the price and fix yourself.

BTW, which dealer has the bike? Asking for a friend!
rolleyes.gif

~G

No, they got the mileage wrong. When I looked at it on Monday, they gave me the keys to start it. It had 84 miles on it. Probably still sitting on the lot with 84 miles.

No, they got the mileage wrong. When I looked at it on Monday, they gave me the keys to start it. It had 84 miles on it. Probably still sitting on the lot with 84 miles.
Sure you were looking at the odometer, not a trip? Mind you, at that mileage, who cares?

Really good deal, I would take it; especially if the mirror is solid.

The scratch damaged could be lived with or touch up when the paint code finally gets revealed.

New Stator cover could be had easily.

Check the bag mounts and the sliding locking bar for the bag as well.

Warranty should be solid too. $5k off retail, oh yea!

If the mirror survived the drop... it's better than mine.

If you (can stand) like the color, maybe the scratches won't even show.

If you like your 2004, you'll love the 2018... new 6 spd, new clutch, drive modes, cc, but a little heavier too. YMMV

"If it seems to good to be true, it probably is" TINSTAAFL "If someone gives you a free lunch today, they'll eat your breakfast tomorrow"

At the very least, do a title check and a dealer check, on your dime, as part of the terms of sale (seller holds sale price, with receipt (not bill of sale), for cash received to you - pray the seller doesn't vanish with your cash). Having the seller present at the DMV or "EZ Tags" office is a big plus. If the seller is legitimate (or a master con artist), none of this should be taken as an offense. If the seller balks at any of this, consider yourself $12K to the good.

Finally, in this hard cruel world, occasionally a very good thing happens. With hopes this deal is such, I give you joy of your purchase.
smile.png

EDIT: The above is mostly irrelevant. I totally missed this is a dealer, and they're keeping the Yammy warranty on the bike. If they put a 90 day (even 30 day) warranty on what they sell, you're golden. If you like matte blue, hell, yeah, buy it! At least I got the "[/i]n this hard cruel world, occasionally a very good thing happens." part right. Ride safe!

And, yeah, the first line is true, too.