Which shim kit for 2015 FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pongetti

Reaction score
I can find all kind of information and opinions that state not to get the Hotcams kit. I live in the boonies and would like to order a selection to have on hand before disassembly. The website is unclear and I have not heard back from their technical assistance department. There are kits listed for the 2003-2005 years. Are they the same?

Yes. But just like most shim kits they are a waste. If this is your first check then more likely than not you wont need to reshim. If you find that you do, measure again.

If you do need to reshim you may find that all of the intakes need to be loosened up, which means that youll probably need 6 or 8 of the same size shims. Most kits give you only 3 of each size, which means the kit is useless

^^^

What Fred said...

I have never bought shims. 220 grit wet carbide paper (and 400 to finish) and a good set of digital calipers and you are good to go if shims need adjustment - very unlikely to be too large a gap. These are not surface hardened and while it takes a little patience and technique, it isn't difficult.

Cover here before. Most common shims 170 190 sizes are used. Kit will have many that you will never need. Sanding is a good option. Sometimes you can just switch a shim to another valve though. Maybe a dealer will swap a few even trade for old ones.??? Down time sucks if they must be ordered.

You might not need any adjustment. BUT won't know till there. Kit will give some options but still might need a shim after all that. Shim kits How much $70-80. Its been awhile.

Don't know what to tell you. Buy a good set of BENT feeler gauges. Bend makes it easy to get in there.

Yes. Thanks. I have lots of feeler gauges. I have been an auto mechanic for over 40 years. I was looking for the kit part number. Which shim kit for 2015 FJR1300

Yes. Thanks. I have lots of feeler gauges. I have been an auto mechanic for over 40 years. I was looking for the kit part number. Which shim kit for 2015 FJR1300
If you don't want to sand shims and want to have them on hand, I would suggest getting a half dozen of each size in the range of 165 to 185 - most fall in this range. . The majority of bikes do not need any clearance adjustments on the first check. Shims are the same for all model years.

9.48 mm . I have the hot cams kit. They are correct, if you need shims you'll probably use all 3 of each size. Not a biggie, just go up or down one size as needed for the rest of the valves and you'll still be in spec.

My 2003 needed one valve adjusted at 97,000 miles, and that was only .001 tight. I was able to swap shims with another valve to get it in spec, keeping the other one in spec as well.

As stated, this motor rarely needs a significant change in valve clearance, and while it's a pain, you can check it and button it back up while you shop for shims, all you'll need is o-rings for the coolant pipes, and it may be that nothing needs to be done and you're all set!

No adjustments on my gen 2 until 97,000 miles, then I had to change a whole heap. I was able to swap some and ordered OEM for the rest, 2 days wait/downtime.

Yeah forgot about pipe O rings. There will be a lot of dirt around those tubes use a blow gun to remove it. You don't want that in cooling system.

I replaced valve cover gasket also but old one was still good. Valve cover is very tight not much room. I used a small mirror and flash light to make sure it was still seated all the around.

Wrenching for a long time myself getting harder with age.

Note: Removing the throttle cables at the handlebar allows them to be moved out of the way. Makes it much easier to maneuver the valve cover back in. Never had to replace that gasket in five checks. Used a bit of sensor-safe RTV silicone in the channel on the cover to "glue" the seal in (make sure seal and channel are thoroughly de-oiled or it won't stick).

I can find all kind of information and opinions that state not to get the Hotcams kit. I live in the boonies and would like to order a selection to have on hand before disassembly. The website is unclear and I have not heard back from their technical assistance department. There are kits listed for the 2003-2005 years. Are they the same?
There's nuth'in wrong w/ Hot Cams, butt, as other have mentioned, some of the "kits" are lame. (Went through this recently where I bought a kit for my FZ6, 'n needed to loosen up 7 exhaust. Could only use one frum kit, ran to MC store, 'n they had four, and got the mechanic to kick down the other two I needed.)

Best thang to do would be bust her open, measure 'em, then order 'em. Got mine on fleabay, and they came purdie quick. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Hot+Cams+5PK948180+9.48mm+Valve+Shim+-+1.70&_sacat=0

(Funny, they're saying the 9.48mm don't work w/ genII/IV, are we sure they're the same as the gen I/II?)

What I did:

bought the Hot Cams kit to be sure I had what I needed on hand. When I finally used some I ordered individual ones to replace them using the Pro-X brand. See, Hot Cams come in .05 mm increments. Pro-X come in .025 mm increments. To me, it makes a difference.

What I did:
bought the Hot Cams kit to be sure I had what I needed on hand. When I finally used some I ordered individual ones to replace them using the Pro-X brand. See, Hot Cams come in .05 mm increments. Pro-X come in .025 mm increments. To me, it makes a difference.
Good ta know.
thumbsup.gif

Here in the San Jose Bay Area the dealer service department does enough valve reshimmg that they have a boxed assortment of factory take-outs on hand. I do my measuring, mix and match for best clearances, then go directly to the service department with my micrometer and go through their assortment for the exact sizes my calculations call for. I dont mind paying full price for previously run shims, because they are the ideal size.

Brodie

😁