Which ADV Tourer? BMW GSA vs Super Tenere?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Made it to Hyder, AK after CFR last week. Awesome ride. Got bit by the bug to do more exploring of Alaska and Yukon. While I could take an FJR up the Dempster and Dalton highways, and still may, I am thinking it may be time for me to finally add a big Adventure Tourer to the stable of four freaking FJRs.

I have had the hots for the BMW R1200 GSA for quite some time. That is what I have been looking at for a while. I've been looking for a used 2014+ model with the latest engine upgrade. But on my travels to Hyder and back I met two Super T riders. Both have had lots of bikes including BMW Gs's, but preferred the Super T. Only a sample of two, but it really has me considering staying within the Yamaha family and looking for a used 2014+ Super T ES.

So for those of you with more experience in this genre of moto, what sayeth you?

This probably isn't worth squat since I haven't actually ridden it, but by the seat of my pants and ergo-wise I think the Honda Africa Twin feels the best. Chain drive though if that's a deal breaker...

This probably isn't worth squat since I haven't actually ridden it, but by the seat of my pants and ergo-wise I think the Honda Africa Twin feels the best. Chain drive though if that's a deal breaker...

I don't know much about it other than a lot of hullaboo about it. But yes, no chain for me. If I was willing to go chain I would consider a mid-weight ADV bike.

Which you should do. The AT is a midweight.

Midweight ADV bikes are much more manageable off road than either a GS or Tenere. Shaft drive is not such a great advantage in the unpaved world that it is in the paved one. Chain maintenance is easy these days. The ability to fine tune gearing is huge.

If I had the funds, I would upgrade my old 04 ManStrom to an Africa Twin or maybe just a new Vee2. And Im a whole lot bigger than you, Greg, so the extra bike weight is not as big of a deal for me. But its still important.

Last edited by a moderator:
No personal ownership of either but plenty of friends owning one or the other. Stick with the Yammie. Far lower cost of ownership.

I'd go with a GSA, every time, over a Tenere. The Tenere is valid attempt to take customers from the GS. However, The GS-A is an entirely different animal that outclasses the Tenere and standard GS in just about every way.

Do it right the first time and get a GS-A. You're definately on the right track. Get it used, cuz new ones are stupid expensive. A used one will get you free upgrades that you may not know you need or want, until it comes time to use them.

I had a S10. I have a 2017 R1200GSA. I prefer the GSA. The engine is smoother with lots of torque and basic maintenance (including valve check & adjustment) is very simple. The S10 engine seems much more agricultural to me and has all the expected traits of a parallel twin which includes buzziness. Adjusting the valves was like building a ship in a bottle. I find the GSA less tiring to ride. It is at home at 80MPH on an interstate, while the S10 seemed very busy at that speed. They are about the same weight and are both okay on dirt/gravel roads. I lived in AK for 16 years and think either is okay for riding the roads such as the Dalton and Denali Hwy. Either will serve you well in Alaska, the GSA will make the ride there and back much more enjoyable. Spousal Unit and I have done the ride several times. The S10 is a great value and has a rock solid reputation for reliability. Ive had the GSA for a year and 16,000 miles with no issues; it is much more expensive. The GSA is my 11th BMW and they have been reliable for me.

I'd go with a GSA, every time, over a Tenere. The Tenere is valid attempt to take customers from the GS. However, The GS-A is an entirely different animal that outclasses the Tenere and standard GS in just about every way.
Do it right the first time and get a GS-A. You're definately on the right track. Get it used, cuz new ones are stupid expensive. A used one will get you free upgrades that you may not know you need or want, until it comes time to use them.
Except in the Yukon and Alaska, I don't recall seeing too many BMW dealers, but several Yamaha dealers incase you need something.

That being said, probably every third bike we saw was a BMA GS series headed North. But, I would be thinking final drive and possibly carry one in my trailer with the extra tires if I rode one.

Adjusting the valves was like building a ship in a bottle.
rofl.gif
:rofl: :rofl:

I was just talking to one of our members who owns both an FJR and ST about this. He just did his first valve adjustment on the ST and didn't have nice things to say. And the STs I am looking at have 18-20k miles on them so well on their way to that first episode of me swearing off Yamahas for the rest of my life.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Gbjbany" data-cid="1400442" data-time="1530924843"><p>

What about the new tiger 1200, it's shaft drive. <a href='https://m.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes/adventure-and-touring/tiger/2018/1200/variants/tiger-1200-xrt'>https://m.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes/adventure-and-touring/tiger/2018/1200/variants/tiger-1200-xrt</a></p></blockquote>

Triumph dealers and support few and far between. Yamaha best, BMW second, then...........Triumph a distant also ran third place

I Jjust bought a 2010 ES super ten and rode it two up to CFR And the SD meets on our first trip with the bike. Bike rocked for touring crappy roads and did some dirt in the parks in SD. It’ll also cruise 85 with no drama all day long. A better seat and taller screen is all it really needs at this point, I think it’s a keeper, way more fun than the Goldwing we sold.

Skoot, if money were no object, I'd have a GSA to satisfy my long-time lust. But, for some of us...money doesn't grow on trees and it's the Tenere for the win!

I've got mine set up pretty damn nice for touring and it'll run down the road as fast as needed without any drama. Yup, valve checks are a PITA but I'll trade that inconvenience for reliability any day.

~G

I just bought a new BMW GSA. I absolutely love the bike. Ride quality is amazing. Bike makes amazing torque. Power at any rpm. The handling is great. Very happy with the bike. As far are maintenance cost I can do most all maintenance on the bike. Also it has a 3 year 36k mile warranty unlike most bikes 12 month 12k miles warranty. Go to a BMW dealer and test ride one. Pretty sure you will be convinced.

ed

Fun thread.

BMW's still suck.

With the money you save buying a Yamaha you can pay someone to do the S10 valves.

You already have a few FJR's. Just pick one and turn it into a ADV ride. It seems I remember one getting some dirt time and air miles on the Black Rock desert. What could go wrong???