2018 Star Venture TC

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndivita

Reaction score
Test rode one recently solo and with passenger. (Envisioning yet again giving up the FJR for the full on touring bike experience).

The good: Storage space. Electronics. Low speed stability and handling. Handles surprisingly well at speed for its girth. Rider and passenger comfort. Lighting. Overall pleasing appearance. Good GUI for electronics package.

The bad: Underpowered. Lack of meaningful roll on capability. Must always short shift to use the bike meaningfully. No top end. Undue vibration. Crappy horn. Questionable wind protection. Questionable value proposition given the price.

I really wanted to like this like bike a lot more than I did.

I felt like a mahout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me that this is not for you. That FJR sets a standard for handling and performance and just plain fun that is not to be equaled.

I have to wonder if they are selling any of these. Who would have thought the world needed yet another V-twin luxury tourer. An upgraded V-four like the previous Venture incarnation might have been interesting. More power, quieter, smoother and a proven platform.

Id have strongly considered one, but Im damn sure not buying a bike that isnt liquid cooled. Been there. Done that. Paid the repair bill.

I was actually surprised by how weak yet rumbly it felt in a roll on situation. (It has a pleasing engine note). But there is just no top end rush. None. Unfortunate that it does not have about 25 more horses and a little higher redline. I'm all for relaxed riding but this is not what I have in mind. I suppose it did not help that I had just tested the turbine like 2018 Gold Wing.

Sure would be nice with a V-max motor in it.
That's what I had in mind with the upgraded V-4 from the previous Venture. I think actually had a lot in common with the V-max of the same vintage I owned a Venture (2002 model) for a couple of years. Not a bad bike but in many ways, it lagged way behind it's Honda GL-1800 competition. Motor only made 100 HP but very well behaved.

Thanks for your review. I read all the reviews in the mags and wanted to like this bike. I was also disappointed with the choice of an air-cooled and approx. 80 hp engine. Then I ran into a guy in a parking lot that had one a month ago. He talked about it like it was heaven on wheels, so I started to re-think my opinion a bit but still can't get past that price tag nor the potential lack of power.

What did you think of the new Goldwing?

The new Goldwing feels more compact, unified and tight than the "old" Gold Wing. I like it a lot. The DCT is very interesting to ride but I have to say, I like the feeling of control associated with the six speed manual transmission. I am used to having clutch, brake and throttle to negotiate low speed handling but with the DCT it is just foot brake and throttle. You get used to it. It shifts seamlessly and intelligently, supernaturally so. The machine is very comfortable and stable at speed. My wife liked it very much. Felt very smooth to her. The front end is devoid of shakes or bumps. It has tons of grunt and feels very quick and eager to accelerate at highway speeds. It has what I would call a very spare and neat layout. It feels much more lean than the previous design, but make no mistake, it is a lot of bike. I am really torn about getting one versus a late model Goldwing. I just don't know that I like the 2018 version so much that it is worth the extra cash. I don't have to make that decision until I sell my FJR.

But it has a few of what I would call design "flaws" (choices, really). No touch screen. Limited ability to use NAV system while moving. Less storage space. Anything you might expect to come with it (even the top of the line model) is "optional" and adds to the already high price (running lights, bag liners, trunk luggage rack, etc.). The electronics package is a bit limited. For example, if you have an iPhone, there is Apple Car Play built into the bike's interface. If you are an Android phone user, it will connect but with far more limited features. Rider to passenger communications integrated into the bike itself are not possible in the stock formulation, so plan on using BT intercom radios, although they will of course connect to the bike and thus to your smartphone. (On the Star Venture, there is a corded set up that allowed rider to passenger communications with higher fidelity and clarity, I am told, than BT). I read on the Internet that some people think there is a design weakness in the front suspension of the new Goldwing due to a part made of material that might wear out or down faster than some think it should. I don't know much about that.

The FJR is still the yardstick among motorcycles for solo riding, IMHO, but for a two up mount for folks my and my wife's age, not so much. Wish it weren't so.

Overall, the new Goldwing feels more integrated and "together" than the Star Venture. But there is nothing about the Star Venture I could not readily live with if it did not feel so underpowered for such a large machine. Yamaha can croon about the "emotional" V-twin all they want, but it does not do it for me. It has plenty of low end torque, and if your only goal on a ride is to get up to 75 or 80 mph and just go, then it may be for you. But there is an awful lot of noise and commotion to do much more than that, and even then, it runs out of steam pretty quickly. I have little doubt that Yamaha's market research lead them to believe there is a customer base waiting for this bike; but for the power problem, I might be one of them because I am a Yamaha owner going way back. For $27,000, I want something that does not feel like a tractor at 70 mph.

Was holding out on my comments, because they apply to a Star Eluder, the Venture's slightly-less-than-full-dress cousin.

Didn't like it from the first 50 feet, since I scraped a peg turning out of the parking lot. Couldn't corner for shit, but after a few minutes of reflection I realized it wasn't supposed to. These bikes are built for long miles on highways and freeways; not zipping through urban streets or banging out a Hooterville 400.

After that first 50 feet, I rode another 20 minutes just to avoid disappointing my sales agent. Told her immediately, "Not my style. When are you getting a 2018 Gold Wing?"

JSNS.

<edit, 2 mins later> Have to agree with ndivita: the FJR is the bomb for solo cruising. If there is ever a Gold Wing in my garage, it will be there for the deluxe passenger comfort and accommodations.

Latest posts