Which Bike would you Buy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOTIGER

Reaction score
Long time motorcyclist new to this forum. Have owned mostly Hondas over the years, including the ST1300 and GL1800, and most recently a CB1100. Also owned a Tiger 800XC.

Excited to get a FJR1300 and prefer the most recent generation and colors offered in '16 and '18. Leaning strongly toward '16 for lower price.

I found a brand new 2016 FJR A at a dealer about a 1,000 miles away, for about $13,000 otd. Would then pay tax and registration in my home state.

Also found a used 2016 FJR ES about the same distance away that I think will sell for between $11-11,500. It has about 12,000 miles on it.

Either way I will probably also need to ship it.

If you were in my shoes which would you choose, and why? Thanks!

I always prefer to buy new. Although you can save a lot of cash with a used vehicle, you simply do not know what the previous owner had done to it unless you know the person. I also tend to keep my vehicles for a long time.

FWIW, I would prefer to go get a new bike rather than have it shipped. There is the risk of an unscrupulous dealer not admitting issues with the bike. A new bike that has been sitting on the showroom floor for a while can have minor damage that you won't see until it arrives in NJ and it is a hassle to deal with problems remotely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont forget that the new bike is an A model, so it wont have all of the same features. No electrically adjustable suspension and no adaptive cornering headlights. There may be some other differences too. I would not worry about a bike with only 12k miles on it. But I would want it to have the YES warranty. Does the ES have YES?

I didnt think you could even buy a 2016 A model...

Answer: ES.

Why?: Despite what you may think, the electronically adjustable suspension is quite useful.

Now .... why on EARTH would you ship it?

You can do 1,000 miles in 24 hours, although your butt will take days to recover if those miles are on the stock seat. (BTDT) Better idea is to tour leisurely and do two 500-mile days. Not kidding or attempting to disrespect you, but this bike was created for riding long miles one day, and ripping through Southeast Ohio the next. And THAT'S why the ES is the better choice: one day freeways; the next day curves, dips, no bags, and lots of hootin' and hollerin'. That scene involves changes in your suspension, and the ES will do that in 15 seconds while you're sitting on the (uncomfortable, if stock) saddle.

Buy a bus ticket and ask the seller to pick you up. (They should have no issues with that if you're a serious buyer.) Book a room at a Motel 6 or Super 8 halfway back, and keep your debit card handy for gas, hot dogs, and bottled water. FAR cheaper than shipping. Keep your receipts and file for an IBA number.

See here and here for inspiration.

Welcome to the madness. We are glad to have ya.

If the used bike does not come with the YES extended warranty, then you can figure no less than $400.00 for it. A dealership in Culman Alabama will sell it to you for that price. I believe it retails for $600.00.

Other things to consider are maintenance items for the used bike. What shape of the used bike's tires? If worn down to nothing, then figure $350.00 there. The used bike is about 1/2 way to it's first valve check. If you are hiring someone to do that work for you, then you might figure a few hundred dollars of wear and tear there.

All of these things considered, both bikes are about the same value, IMO.

So I'd base the choice on this:

- If I'm big on the electronic suspension, I'd ask the dealer to take $11,000 OTD and throw in the YES warranty. Then when (if) they pitch a fit, I'd fall back on $11,500 OTD with the YES warranty and take it. If necessary, you might negotiate a deal on new tires.

- If I'm not that amped up on the electronic suspension, and I'm paying someone else to do all of my maintenance, then I'd probably buy the new bike. In the long run, you'll get most of that difference back and as others have said, one owner is always better than more than one owner.

EITHER WAY, there is NO WAY I'd ship that bike home. I call a favor and get somebody to drive me to the dealer, and then ride that puppy home. Based on your past bike experiences, you know how to get home. But you can bet your ass I wouldn't take the slab home. Take the day off Friday. Leave home Thursday after work and be at the dealer for noon Friday. About 1500 miles later, you'll be home Sunday evening with a shit eating grin from ear to ear. You can thank me then, if you'd like....

Hope you enjoy your new (or new to you) FJR. Cheers!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="chazglenn3" data-cid="1400620" data-time="1531159349"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Fred W" data-cid="1400606" data-time="1531150723"><p>I didnt think you could even buy a 2016 A model...</p></blockquote>

<br />

It was the 2017 model year that didn't have the "A" model available.</p></blockquote>

Thanks. With my old timers disease I couldnt recall when they dropped the A model here.

And Im agreeing with the prior post. Get the ES and do a fly and ride. Youll be happier in the long run

I definitely agree on the ES regardless of the model year. I once bought a 2007 FJR from a seller in ND on FleaBay in 2008 and had it shipped to me in CA. The bike only had 3100 miles on the clock and the pics looked pristine. The seller said it was in mint condition. I even got the name of the dealer in WY where the bike was purchased. The dealer confirmed the bike had been given all the scheduled service and when it was last serviced it was in excellent condition. Bottom line, when I got the bike it was not what I ordered. The wind screen was full of scratches. The side cases had some scratches and the trim piece on the gas tank was broken. Carrier Allied (Federal Motorcycle Transport) copy of the origin inspection report showed all the damage.

Go out there and look the bike(s) over in person.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RossKean" data-cid="1400643" data-time="1531176206"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Fred W" data-cid="1400642"><p>Thanks. With my old timers disease I couldnt recall when they dropped the A model here.<br />

<br /></p></blockquote>

The "A" is back for 2018...<br />

<br />

<a href='https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring'>https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring</a></p></blockquote>

Damn. I need to start taking notes

For me, the difference would be if the ES comes with a YES warranty and how much do you enjoy fiddling with suspension settings. If you're a set it and forget it rider, then the new A [even for a couple more $$$] with a $400 YES will last a long time.

With either bike you probably can't go wrong. Good luck!

~G

Guys I am more grateful than I can say for the warm welcome to the world of FJR's, and these excellent insights! Including the one to ride the bike home instead of ship it! Makes a lot of sense . . . and would be a blast.

As much as I always love to get the latest and greatest and most well-equipped model . . . the band spanking new 2016 A fresh from the crate is the one that is most calling my name. And I probably am a set it and forget it kind of person when it comes to suspensions.

With all the bikes I mentioned I have owned in the past, including 2 Honda Gold Wings, and the ST1300, I don't recall ever fiddling with the suspension. It always felt great just as it was! So as much as I'd love to have the ES for the more sophisticated suspension set-up, and the corning lights, not sure how much I would take advantage of it.

Will keep you all posted on next steps and when I make a decision. Thanks again!

Guys I am more grateful than I can say for the warm welcome to the world of FJR's, and these excellent insights! Including the one to ride the bike home instead of ship it! Makes a lot of sense . . . and would be a blast.
As much as I always love to get the latest and greatest and most well-equipped model . . . the band spanking new 2016 A fresh from the crate is the one that is most calling my name. And I probably am a set it and forget it kind of person when it comes to suspensions.

With all the bikes I mentioned I have owned in the past, including 2 Honda Gold Wings, and the ST1300, I don't recall ever fiddling with the suspension. It always felt great just as it was! So as much as I'd love to have the ES for the more sophisticated suspension set-up, and the corning lights, not sure how much I would take advantage of it.

Will keep you all posted on next steps and when I make a decision. Thanks again!
I would go for the brand new A model as well, because it's an A and you will know the history from day one. Good luck!!

I really like my '16 ES that I picked up in March. The cornering lights actually work enough to make a difference, and the electronic suspense is worth it, in my case. I tried to pick up a YES warranty for it. One dealer said can't be done, bike is too old. Another was willing to write me a two-year policy for $700. I said 'no thanks, I'll take my chances'. And that's a pretty good deal on the ES.

I really like my '16 ES that I picked up in March. The cornering lights actually work enough to make a difference, and the electronic suspense is worth it, in my case. I tried to pick up a YES warranty for it. One dealer said can't be done, bike is too old. Another was willing to write me a two-year policy for $700. I said 'no thanks, I'll take my chances'. And that's a pretty good deal on the ES.
Picked up in March like brand new from the dealer? If yes, you should be able to get Y.E.S. for it. Besides it isn't like it came with no warranty because it was in a create for over a year. A lot of people on this forum have purchased their Y.E.S. from D&H Cycle in AL at a very good cost, (FJRs as well), give them a call. https://www.dandhcycle.com/index.html As long as you purchase Y.E.S. before the one year manufacture warranty runs out you should be eligible to buy it.

I believe you have 12 months from the date of purchase to buy a YES, and D&H in Cullman, AL, will sell it to you for $400 over the phone -- just like they did for me and two dozen older members of this Forum.

And ... enjoy your FJR, GO TIGER! (As a Georgia Tech fan, I cannot tell you how painful it is to type that name, especially in ALL CAPS.
no2.gif
)

In my experience, I would go for the used ES. If it is listed for $11,000, I'm sure you could get it for a little less. At 12,000 miles the bike is just broke in. I would definitely use YES warranty, tire wear, scratches, etc., as bargaining tools. In my opinion, my ES is so much better than my 2006. And my bike doesn't have the 6th gear or the assist/slipper clutch.

My thoughts and experience on the YES warranty. If it cost too much, I personally would choose not to buy it. I didn't buy the warranty on my 2006 and nothing broke until 116K miles when the stator failed in year 6, out of the warranty period. The first extended warranty I ever purchased was on my 2014 ES, it didn't cost too much and the bike had all the electronic stuff, seemed like a good idea. I'm more than halfway into my 5th year and nothing has gone wrong with my bike and I have more than 80K on it.

Welcome and good luck.