Wiring Auxiliary Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I want to redo the wiring on my Clearwater lights. They (and and a bunch of other stuff) are hanging off the battery. I want to put everything back to a Fuzeblock FZ-1. This stuff was set up by the previous owner and if it was working 100%, I would just leave it alone. I am having a couple of issues and thought I would use the opportunity to simplify the overall wiring scheme.

There is a set of Ericas and a set of Glendas and both sets of lights are powered by a single Clearwater "relay box". The Ericas draw 5 amps each and the Glendas draw 1 amp each for a total of 12 amperes. Although the FZ-1 is rated for a total of 30 amps, each individual circuit is only rated for 10 amps. Clearly, the combined draw of the two set of lights would exceed this leading to blown fuses or the escape of the magic smoke.

Since the Clearwater relay box only has a single power inlet, it would seem that the FZ-1 would not be suitable for this application. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to split the line powering the relay box and feed it from two circuits on the FZ-1? Would the power draw from each of the two circuits be sufficiently balanced to ensure it wasn't overloaded? I suppose if the draw was sufficiently lopsided for some reason, the high current side would pop its fuse followed immediately by the other side assuming that each side was fused at no more than 10 amps (perhaps even 8 amps). (This is beginning to sound like a bad idea.)

This is the Clearwater schematic:

KES_FJR_2002-2015.jpg

The other (probably better) option is to set up a simple barrier strip in the front of the bike and run that a short distance to the battery. I could run the Clearwater relay off this as well as the FZ-1, voltmeter display and battery tender/Slime pump outlet as well. I would use the FZ-1 (switched side) for Zumo, heated gear, trailer lighting harness and anything else I wanted to hook up. This still maintains my primary objective of minimizing the number of wires going back to the battery. Once set up for the lights, voltmeter and FZ-1 (and maybe SAE plug), there would be no need to have ready access to the barrier strip. Any "switched" circuits and any new add-ons or changes would go to the Fuzeblock.

For anyone who has used a barrier strip for power distribution, any suggestions on location for a Gen II? I think I would like to keep it near the front of the bike to minimize the length of high current wire runs and have the FZ-1 under the seat. It would get its trigger signal from the taillight. (Keeps the higher current stuff out of the hot engine compartment as well)

Any simple barrier strips out there with covers to help keep out the elements and errant opportunities to short circuit stuff? I would probably fuse the barrier strip at 40 amps which is more than will ever be running on this bike. One channel for input and three or four for output. Any downside in doing it this way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ross, are you in LOVE with the Fuzeblock? I had similar problems when trying to run a fancy schmanchy electronic box, Rowe... I felt I had to run the Rowe with it's programmable current to trip for each channel.

Then... Reality. Simple is better. Back to the BlueSeas Fuse block. Wonderful power/ground distribution, fits well under seat fuses are cheap and plentiful everywhere... No chance of programming 'glitch' to kill vital power buses..

2.jpg

Naomi's wiring..

IF you're in love THEN... plan B...

Barrier strips.. I looked and didn't find anything I liked. It needs be protected electrically (shorts) and environmentally (corrosion). I'm sure something is out there... but I gave up and went simple...

OR - get another CW 'Relay Box'. Then run each off the FZ1.

-d

Not in LOVE with the Fuzeblock but it is simple and pretty idiot proof. (Similar to but I think a little more compact than the Bluesea) It also uses readily available blade fuses and any circuit can be switched or not switched based on the placement of the fuse. The relay (triggered by front marker light or taillight) is completely built in and there are NO electronics other than the relay. Besides, I already have one - actually two of them. While they have a number of available circuits (six, I think), the total current limit is 30 amps with a maximum of 10 A for any individual circuit. The idea of the simple barrier strip in the nose feeding the lights and SAE plug keeps the higher current runs shorter and out of the hot engine bay. The barrier strip would feed the Fuzeblock (under the seat) for lower current items. Fuzeblock keeps the addition of new stuff (or making changes) simple.

Will talk to my electronics tech friend to see if he has some ideas on what could be used for a weather protected connector strip.

Nice tidy installation on your system.

Ross

Check out the Eastern Beaver PC8 fuse box. It has 8 circuits, 2 of which are on one buss, the other 6 on another buss. Typically the 6 circuit buss gets put on an external relay to make it switched. It is a lot more robust, as each circuit is rated for much higher amperage than the FuzeBlock, so you wont have to double up on them like you described. It also has a back to it so no exposed circuit board.

Ive had both on my bike at one time, the PC8 is the one that best served my requirements. You will have to provide your own relay however. I put a 70 amp relay on mine and its doing just fine. I have the older Krista/Glenda set up, with another pair of rear facing red LED Glendas for aux tail/brake lighting. I run a dual HeatTroller, and also have a 15amp powerlet circuit for my slow cooker. Those are my high draw farkles, the rest of the circuits are set up with the electronics and other low draw items. I have a Datel on my right dash below the hand grip which is wired directly across the battery terminals, and also have the direct bypass harness from the battery to voltage regulator with 8 gage positive and negative wires. Just above idle the Datel indicates a strong 14.2 volts. With everything on, after dark on a cold and lonely highway with high beams blazing, and chicken with rice slow cooking on top of the seat bag behind me, I have drawn the Datel down to a steady 13.6 volts without any electrical issues.

Give it a look...

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/PC-8/pc-8.html

Brodie

🙂

Eastern Beaver claims up to 15 amp continuous on individual circuits so it would work nicely for the Erica/Glenda combo. I have used the Fuzeblock for a number of years and I am comfortable with its application for the lower power farkles. The more I think about it, the more I like the thought of some sort of connector strip up front for the tap off the battery and feeding the Clearwater relay box and a FZ-1 from that. As I mentioned, it minimizes the length of higher current runs and keeps these wires away from the engine compartment. Absolutely nothing against the PC-8, its just that I already have two of the FZ-1 blocks. My biggest challenge is doing the wiring and keeping everything tidy (and labelled).

The only circuits I have added to my battery terminals are the Fuzebox and my Clearwater Krista lights. It only takes one ring terminal, and the terminal wires are soldered and shrink-wrapped out of sight. I think you're going through a lot here to accomplish relatively little advantage. The Clearwater relay and wiring all lives up front, so you already have horn, light and high beam bypass wired up there. The main power for the Clearwater relay seems to logically belong going directly to the battery with an inline fuse, and that presents the most reliable connection. I don't see the advantage to your proposal.

The only circuits I have added to my battery terminals are the Fuzebox and my Clearwater Krista lights. It only takes one ring terminal, and the terminal wires are soldered and shrink-wrapped out of sight. I think you're going through a lot here to accomplish relatively little advantage. The Clearwater relay and wiring all lives up front, so you already have horn, light and high beam bypass wired up there. The main power for the Clearwater relay seems to logically belong going directly to the battery with an inline fuse, and that presents the most reliable connection. I don't see the advantage to your proposal.
He had the Ericas hooked to the battery via the Clearwater relay box. He had the Glendas wired direct rather than through the relay box so he could dim them independently from the Ericas. Also SAE plug and Fuzeblock all back to the battery - a real rats nest. Fuzeblock was just used for heated gear and trailer wiring. I could do as you suggest and just run the Clearwater relay box and the Fuzeblock off the battery and run everything else off the Fuzeblock. (Hook the Glendas back to the CW relay box and lose the independent dimmer control.) Probably not going to keep the horn option hooked up - a full power flash from Ericas can be a bit startling in the dark. A barrier strip type of block provides a pretty robust connection and is more suitable than the battery terminals if multiple wires need to be connected. It would live quite close to the battery compartment if I can find a suitable place. Still undecided...

RossCheck out the Eastern Beaver PC8 fuse box. It has 8 circuits, 2 of which are on one buss, the other 6 on another buss. Typically the 6 circuit buss gets put on an external relay to make it switched. It is a lot more robust, as each circuit is rated for much higher amperage than the FuzeBlock, so you wont have to double up on them like you described. It also has a back to it so no exposed circuit board.

Ive had both on my bike at one time, the PC8 is the one that best served my requirements. You will have to provide your own relay however. I put a 70 amp relay on mine and its doing just fine. I have the older Krista/Glenda set up, with another pair of rear facing red LED Glendas for aux tail/brake lighting. I run a dual HeatTroller, and also have a 15amp powerlet circuit for my slow cooker. Those are my high draw farkles, the rest of the circuits are set up with the electronics and other low draw items. I have a Datel on my right dash below the hand grip which is wired directly across the battery terminals, and also have the direct bypass harness from the battery to voltage regulator with 8 gage positive and negative wires. Just above idle the Datel indicates a strong 14.2 volts. With everything on, after dark on a cold and lonely highway with high beams blazing, and chicken with rice slow cooking on top of the seat bag behind me, I have drawn the Datel down to a steady 13.6 volts without any electrical issues.

Give it a look...

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/PC-8/pc-8.html

Brodie
Brodie,

Glad to hear you like the PC8. I just picked one up for my '16 ES. I have the direct bypass harness on my '06 and was wondering if I needed it on the '16.

Latest posts