Givi V47 case Key issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-
Reaction score
Is anyone having issues with their Givi Key trying to open the case. I spent 5 minutes a couple of days ago trying to open the case and the Key wouldn't turn. Yesterday I tried again and it snapped a little bit but turned and I could open the case. This seems to be an on and off again problem. I put lubrication in the key hole but it didn't seem to make a difference. I am curious to see if I am the only one with this issue. I was almost to the point of calling them up for a new key.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be basic advice but I've seen some pretty miraculous results from letting a good spray of WD40 soak into old locks.

Dave,

Since you have the case open you can easily pull the lock mechanism out of the bag and see what’s hanging up. There are a couple of screws from inside the bag that hold the lock in place. I took one apart once and was able to clean and grease everything and get it to work smoothly, then put it all back together. I’m sure there is a YouTube video or web site that will show you more. It’s the same procedure you use to change the lock cylinders. Hope that helps.

I will try that Fred, There seems to be no resistance when I put the key in the hole. It's like the tumblers don't even make contact.

Another chore to do,

Dave

I have a spent a lot of miles with an E55 and V47. I currently have a V56. I have had no key issues with any of them. I normally leave the key in 24/7 unless Im stopping at a store or something similar, rain or shine. I use regular silicon spray on sticky bike locks but my cases have been good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred's right, I had to do it with my V4x. Key goes in easily but a bear to turn. I got 3 pics of my repair, PM your email.

Givi uses at least two different lock holders(the cylinder around the lock) that may not be interchangeable. I have about five assorted locks with keys if you need one and John’s isn’t the same as yours.

I have had 2 Givi (V46) cases. For both of them, the locks move without any significant resistance. I usually keep the key in the lock since it is captive when unlocked - removing, of course, when parked anywhere public.

You mention that there is no resistance when the key goes in. Lock innards are almost certainly gummed up. You will have to pull the cylinder and give it a good soak with some solvent. Maybe even dismantle to clean the wafers. Lube lightly with some silicone or other suitable lubricant.

If you can't get it open to dismantle, flood it with some WD-40 or Seafoam "Deep Creep" and let it sit.

What was it lubed with before? Beef tallow? (Maybe Krazy Glue)

I had this same issue with my V47. I disassembled the lock assembly and found that the nut which holds the latching mechanism to the lock cylinder had come loose and that the loose piece was jamming when I was trying to turn the key. I believe you will find the same thing. My lock cylinder is available if you need it but I'm betting that when you tighten the nut the problem will go away.

I had this same issue with my V47. I disassembled the lock assembly and found that the nut which holds the latching mechanism to the lock cylinder had come loose and that the loose piece was jamming when I was trying to turn the key. I believe you will find the same thing. My lock cylinder is available if you need it but I'm betting that when you tighten the nut the problem will go away.
Same thing on my V46. Email with pics sent.