News Bias

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Kind of how we are seen, or not, tragic accident here in shoreline Wa., two fatalities both26 year old males, words out of the newscasters mouth, a vehicle was attempting to make a turn at an intersection when it was struck by two motorcycles.

I just looked that up. There may be some reporting bias but they also say that speed was a factor. I think it is too early to say for sure.

https://q13fox.com/2018/07/11/2-people-on-motorcycle-killed-in-collision-with-car-on-sr-104-in-shoreline-state-patrol-says/

Maybe squids on sportbikes at whatever speed? I don't know if that is the case or not but a high speed on-coming motorcycle may not be seen in time. Or even if the driver saw the approaching bikes, it may be difficult to judge the rate of approach.

I'm not defending either the driver or the possible news reporting bias. I will be watching this one to see what details come out of the investigation.

The vehicle was indeed attempting to make a left turn, when it was struck by the motorcycles. Those are facts, not bias. Who is at fault has yet to be determined of course...

This is... 'My worst nightmare... realized'.
upset.gif

I try to see ahead whenever the 'left turn nightmare' approaches, but just today someone did it (bad left turn right in front of me) in my BUICK!

That's quite a bit of damage to the back of that car also. I would venture to guess the car was also traveling at a high rate of speed.

JMO,

Dave

Another in Auburn Wa. that makes 3 in 36 hours be alert and be defensive this is a sad thing.

https://www.shorelineareanews.com/2018/07/excessive-speed-cited-as-cause-of.html?m=1 Who knows?
Fairly cogent.
Just saying - while there may be reporting bias, it would appear that the riders were at least partially responsible for their their own demise. Without proof, it is difficult to say for sure. Eyewitness accounts can be unreliable and reporters can pick the ones they want. Some science in the accident investigation but not likely to be finished yet.