Fairbanks--By Boat. Suggestions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
Not ALL the way by boat, that is, unless the polar ice caps all finish melting right away and Alaska gets a new shoreline, but this isn't going to be a motorcycle trip. We're doing a cruise up the inland passage this fall, then a train to Denali, finally back to Fairbanks. Never been there so we'll stay a couple extra days and see what there is to see.

So what do folks recommend as the must-sees around Fairbanks? (The part before that is all part of the tour package--looking for the best stuff to see and do locally in a couple of free days before we head home.) I know Chena Hot Springs is a big destination--it's about 50 miles out of town. Think that's worth a trip? Know if there's a good way to get back and forth from Fairbanks other than renting a car? Shuttle or something?

Finally, anybody have any free maps of Alaska you'd like to send me?
wink.png

Appreciate some thought if you have them. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived in Fairbanks for many years up until six years ago.

Visit the Museum of the North on the U of AK Fairbanks campus. They used to have one of the two first motorcycles that were ridden between AK and the states. Slim Williams and his brother rode two BSAs in the early 1920s, before there was a road. At times they made a four wheeler by lashing the bikes together with tree trunks. Slim later mushed a dog team from Fairbanks to D.C.

I believe Chena Hot Springs had a shuttle when I lived there.

The River Boat Discovery runs up and down the Chena River and is worth an afternoon.

There is a surprisingly large and well done display of old cars at the Wedgewood Hotel on College Road. It includes a car built in Fairbanks in the early 1900s. A teenager who had never seen a car built it to pick-up girls.

Gold Dredge #8 is out near Fox for Gold Panning. There is a brewery/restaurant (Silver Gulch) in Fox that we liked as well as the Howling Dog Saloon.

The Chatanika Lodge is about 30 miles from Fairbanks on the Steese Hwy. It is worth a drive for lunch if you have transportation. There is an abandoned gold dredge there that you can explore.

You can go see a Gold Panners baseball game at Growden Field. Their games are mostly at night and there are no lights on the field.

It will be hard to se much without transportation.

There are several links to get maps...
Here's one...just pay $1.99 for shipping/handling

https://gumroad.com/l/the-alaska-map

...or if you know someone with AAA, they can get you one for free.
$1.99? Mike will never pay that kind of money for a map. Someone (Tyler?) has a picture of him with his "free" map at CFR.

Let's see the nickel, Ray. But Joe, just kidding about the map. Those who were at CFR would know. Oh that's right. YOU backed out or something, eh?

Appreciate the thoughts on local sights though, Pterodactyl. Or can I just call you Pter? Sounds like a car rental will be a good way to go. We'll be up there before winter gets serious.

I feel kind of unknowlegeable after Pterodactyl post up. I did the flight up to Anchorage, train to Denali, bus back to Anchorage, cruise to Vancouver.

Every port has excursions, these are not limited to those on the cruises. Highly recommend the Glacier walk in Juneau. Also there are bike rentals

available out of a couple of the ports.

Enjoy the cruise.

But be warned:

My bride did an Alaska cruise several years ago (with her mother and some friends - I stayed home with the dogs) and contracted a virus.

I dont remember what the virus is called, but the symptoms include euphoric sense of wonder, a curiosity about new places, and an increased appreciation of food cooked by other people.

The following year she invited me. And infected me.

When we got home from Alaska she began looking at other destinations.

Oh, alright. Well try the 7-day Western Mediterranean one.

I tell ya, its not a virus - its a gateway drug.

The cruise exposes you to things you never knew.

At first its fun. Like that first sip of champagne at a friends wedding.

Then youre home, remembering all the things you saw, people you met, tastes & smells you experienced. And wondering what might have been down that street you didnt walk. So you just take a peek at a travel page....

Next thing you know, youre eating beans & rice (and loving it) and saving your pennies for the next destination. You cant watch TV or films without exclaiming hey, weve been there or ohh, remember when.... You see a weather report and say Ha! Remember sailing through that Cat. 2 hurricane on the way to Iceland? Wasnt that awesome?! The clock strikes noon and youre waiting for the Captain to come on the P.A. and say something memorable like Were crossing the Bay of Biscay and I have to say that Ive NEVER seen it this calm or We crossed the Arctic Circle just now. The sun wont go below the horizon for the next five days.

Or youre standing on deck at 0400, staring up in wonder at the stars, and hearing the music in your head: When you see the Southern Cross for the first time, you understand then why you came this way..., realizing that Crossing the Line (equator) is in your rear view mirror and rounding Cape Horn is just a few days ahead.

You might not think it will happen to you now, but do you really want to take the chance?

Enjoy!

The member from Silver City gave you some good points of interest. I've flown to Squarebanks and taken the train from there to Denali Nat'l Park and then on to Anchorage. Most of the venues he cited in the Squarebanks area I have seen. There are some interesting dog sled demos to see as well.

Latest posts