• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gen 2 coolant reservoir and W shape windshield trim.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to replace my coolant tank last year. It became brittle and cracked. I was able to patch it with "Seal All" and fibreglas until the replacement arrived. You may be able to do the same if yours cracked or you are welcome to my repaired one until you get one. Wouldn't trust it for long.

34957655273_f75c05e263_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that's what mine is doing now, the mounting tabs are cracked as well. Thanks for the offer but I am going to order a new one.

Just recently found my tank cracked and deteriorating. wtf? Ordered a new one from the dealership. $27. Cheap enough. But why are they rotting?
Polyethylene (or Polypropylene) which is used in parts like this is subject to deterioration. Yours is 13 years old and has been exposed to high temperatures, chemicals (ethylene glycol) and hundreds (thousands?) of heat cycles. For some reason, sometimes they last and sometimes they don't - it may have something to do with the polymer manufacture (contaminants, polymer chain length, crosslinking etc.). I have had the same happen to windshield washer tanks in cars and PE bottles in the laboratory where I work. On the other hand, the plastic overflow tank on my 2004 Accord is still just fine!

The tank in my 2008 did it too. Bought a new one. My bike was missing the "W" when I bought it. Bought one of those new also.

Last edited by a moderator: