Painting a V-Stream screen - WTF?!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
I tried painting the inside of my shopped V-Stream screen the other day and the paint wouldn't stick at all. I thoroughly cleaned the screen with IPA and wiped it dry, so I know there was no grease, fingerprints, etc. left on the screen. Does V-Stream put some sort of coating on their screens, possibly like a Rain-X type stuff, to help move water? I thought about taking the section I cut off and scuffing it with some 220 grip and spraying it with some paint to see who that works.

Obviously with my chopped screen I'm not worried about seeing through the screen since it's so low. (It's even chopped more than when I posted pics previously)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I think it just needs to be scuffed to take the glaze off. Ive coated the inside of the lower portion of a couple of screens with truck bed liner (not a V-Stream). I always scuffed the coated area and cleaned it with alcohol; it worked well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can's say a brand name, but there are products that you can use to etch glass or acrylic plastic that I'm sure you could find in a hobby store that might be easier to use than sanding. Or try some solvents that you might already have in your garage. I'm thinking MEK, paint thinner, even paint remover. Bet anything that would cloud up the plastic would allow paint to stick.

The question I'd ask is what paint are you using?

I would not use some kind of solvent to "etch" the plastic as it can weaken the plastic.

The Krylon Plastic paint does work well, I've used it on clear lucite without "scuffing".

The question I'd ask is what paint are you using? I would not use some kind of solvent to "etch" the plastic as it can weaken the plastic. The Krylon Plastic paint does work well, I've used it on clear lucite without "scuffing".
True that!

My experience .. and shield was good for probably 7 riding seasons with only a few minor scratches to the paint.

Clean shield then wipe down with alcohol.

Lightly scuff inside with 600 grit wet/dry paper.

Wipe down with alcohol again.

I used matte black Krylon for Plastic - spray can

I painted a scuffed a piece of scrap and a non-scuffed piece. I used some paint from a hobby store made for poly RC car bodies. No such luck on either piece.

After doing a little reading, National Cycles does indeed use a coating on their screens. Ive also seen posts in which others has issues trying to paint a National Cycles screen.

Ive painted dozens of screens over the years (mostly OEM & several aftermarket items) and never had an issue. Until now, lol.

I guyess its going to stay clear.

Happy Friday folks,

With all the Hi-Viz attention I wonder why peeps don't paint the back of there windscreens in Hi-Viz colors. I hope I am not started a trend.

I will stand back now,
fire.gif

Dave