Rear Shock Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcumpian

Reaction score
What color should any oil from the rear shock be? I ask because this bike is almost new (2018 "A", 4800 miles) and I reached in to adjust the rebound damping a couple of clicks and discovered that the adjuster was covered in black greasy/oily stuff. I had not noticed anything like that previously, but I also haven't changed the settings since February.

I'll be swapping tires in the next few weeks so I'll be able to take a closer look then, but should I be worried?

Dan

There isn’t any reason to be worried if it is still under warranty....otherwise....it’s time to determine if the shock is actually leaking. I would take it to a dealer and request a replacement shock because a OEM shock isn’t designed to be rebuilt.

It is still under warranty. I took a closer look and it isn't oil. It is some kind of black grease. Looks like it might be coming from elsewhere on the suspension. There is a bit on the underside of the swingarm as well.

Dan

Water soluble (or dispersible)? (brake fluid) Make sure reservoir cover is secure and that no lines have been damaged.

Gooey and sticky? (Do you use moly-based grease for anything?) That shit gets everywhere; especially if overdone on splines.

Medium thick and solvent (Varsol) soluble? (rear drive lube - overfill or leaking rear seal)

Other than the above, where the hell have you been riding??

I assume that there have been no puddles under the bike?

Clean it up really well and watch for new appearance.

Water soluble (or dispersible)? (brake fluid) Make sure reservoir cover is secure and that no lines have been damaged.
Gooey and sticky? (Do you use moly-based grease for anything?) That shit gets everywhere; especially if overdone on splines.

Medium thick and solvent (Varsol) soluble? (rear drive lube - overfill or leaking rear seal)

Other than the above, where the hell have you been riding??

I assume that there have been no puddles under the bike?

Clean it up really well and watch for new appearance.
Gooey, but not too sticky. Doesn't smell like the final gear oil. Without taking things apart, I'd say it looks like grease from the shock linkages and the shock mounts. When I pull the wheels off I will clean it all up really well before putting the wheels back on with new tires. I haven't lubed the splines yet, that is on the list of things to do when I pull the wheels off.

Dan