Motorcycle cover

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I am looking for a suitable motorcycle cover to travel with (I have one that's OK for winter storage in the garage but it is too bulky to take on trips.)

For what I want, I think a half-cover would work. Needs to pack up small.

Multi purpose:

1) Protect bike (electronics, paint, leather seat and leaky Smuggler) from rain, dew, hail, dust, wind-borne debris, tree sap and birdshit.

2) Keep prying eyes (and hands) off my stuff. Deter crimes of opportunity.

3) Keep kids off it - I have seen a parent actually put their kid on someone's parked MC to get a "cute" picture.

Not looking for something that covers every square inch but would like it to be able to go over the Clearwater Ericas on the front, cover the windshield (while hiding GPS and other electronics, etc), protect the leather seat, prevent rain ingress to the Smuggler and cover the Givi top case (if I have it on the bike instead of the Smuggler). Maybe tops of side cases too but that is less important.

Elastic draw string or similar to snug it up for various configurations (i.e. top box or not).

Did a bit of a search and saw that some people liked the Nelson-Rigg in XL size. Do mirrors have to fold to fit?

Comments?

Alternatives?

Problems?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Nelson riggs. Mirrors dont need to be folded, and it covers my lights on the mirror mounts as well as my givi case. It also packs small. I fold my mirrors just so it doesnt pull too tight

I have the Nelson riggs. Mirrors dont need to be folded, and it covers my lights on the mirror mounts as well as my givi case. It also packs small. I fold my mirrors just so it doesnt pull too tight
This one? Extra Large size?

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/covers/half-cover-detail.html

e2e92c05e9f6d155c3cd45120c690aaf.jpg

I use this one on my Wing and FJR. It folds up very small. It isn't 100% water proof but it keeps the seat dry the few times it was out in the rain.
https://wingstuff.com/products/37085-ultraguard-goldwing-half-cover-black?from_search=1
That one looks like it would do the job as well. I think I would prefer a light color to keep things cooler in the sun although the lighter one will show the dirt more. The tie-down in the middle might keep it from flapping (or being carried away) in the wind.

original.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I use this one on my Wing and FJR. It folds up very small. It isn't 100% water proof but it keeps the seat dry the few times it was out in the rain.
https://wingstuff.com/products/37085-ultraguard-goldwing-half-cover-black?from_search=1
That one looks like it would do the job as well. I think I would prefer a light color to keep things cooler in the sun although the lighter one will show the dirt more. The tie-down in the middle might keep it from flapping (or being carried away) in the wind.

original.png
it's also reinforced with material that is like soft felt on the windshield. They last me about two years of everyday use in So. Ca. weather.

+1 on the Nelson Rigg,

I scored a free Avon Logo half cover at Sturgis last year, it looks like it was made by the Nelson Rigg supplier.

I use one on La Bestia de Azul - the KLR and the Nelson Rigg on the Gray Ghost

I've been using the cheap water resistant Chinese made full covers for 10 years. If you want the cover for use in road trips they are great. They compress to about the size of a grape fruit. Make sure it is the XL size.

I've been using the cheap water resistant Chinese made full covers for 10 years. If you want the cover for use in road trips they are great. They compress to about the size of a grape fruit. Make sure it is the XL size.
Do you have a link to one that you have used?

Do you have a link to one that you have used?
If you go to amazon.com and search motorcycle covers you will be given many choices with prices from $8 to $50. I do not recall the seller(s) I used but I paid in the area of $15 for mine. It came with a drawl string bag and it can be stuffed into any nook and cranny in your luggage. Make sure you select the XXL if you want it to cover the full bike with bags attached.

Looks like the Nelson Rigg might be a good choice - good reviews here. The Show Chrome one for the Goldwing looks OK too. Pricing isn't all that different. I had a look at the "generic" no-name products and while they might be just fine, there isn't much information on durability, fitment or packing size. Will likely stick with one of the original suggestions - $30-$40 range.

Thanks for the input!

I use the Nelson-Rigg to cover the bike at work. Easy to cover, and packs quite small, smaller than my rain suit. I'm on my third one, which sounds bad, but I get 3 or 4 years of daily use out of it.

I use the Nelson-Rigg to cover the bike at work. Easy to cover, and packs quite small, smaller than my rain suit. I'm on my third one, which sounds bad, but I get 3 or 4 years of daily use out of it.
I wouldn't use it daily - probably just on trips away from home. Overnight parking at motels or campgrounds mostly. No need at work or on day rides. Maybe when parked in a parking lot at the mall or someplace where there are a bunch of people around. But only if I plan to be out of sight for more than a few minutes.

Latest posts