2006 Error 32

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelikesit

Reaction score
Keep getting this error 32 code on my display. Nothing shows up in a search on the net or here on that specific number other than the code listing. Bike seems to run fine. Thought it was bad gas as I just got the bike and cleared the code. With a fresh tank with Seafoam and it still randomly shows up. It has come and gone on its own couple of times while riding. Now an odd thing has happened. In diagnostic mode 61 the place where the 32 should show and how many times shows 00. in 62 where one clears codes shows a 1 and will not cycle clear to 00 as before. According to the notes the code ties into the O2 sensor AND the harnesses among other things. Could this be part of that grounding recall issue from way back which may not have been performed??? Need to hit the dealer up with the VIN to see next. I must add the previous owner had a Power Commander installed. Not sure why as there is plenty of power anyway-LOL

Thanks in advance for all your input...

Keep getting this error 32 code on my display. Nothing shows up in a search on the net or here on that specific number other than the code listing. Bike seems to run fine. Thought it was bad gas as I just got the bike and cleared the code. With a fresh tank with Seafoam and it still randomly shows up. It has come and gone on its own couple of times while riding. Now an odd thing has happened. In diagnostic mode 61 the place where the 32 should show and how many times shows 00. in 62 where one clears codes shows a 1 and will not cycle clear to 00 as before. According to the notes the code ties into the O2 sensor AND the harnesses among other things. Could this be part of that grounding recall issue from way back which may not have been performed??? Need to hit the dealer up with the VIN to see next. I must add the previous owner had a Power Commander installed. Not sure why as there is plenty of power anyway-LOL
Thanks in advance for all your input...
If the S4 spider recall hasn't been done you should do it but this isn't a grounding issue.

Related to the Power Commander - you will not get this without the PC on the bike.

Code 32 - O2 sensor (compensation stuck to lower limit) The amount of air-fuel ratio feedback compensation is maintained continuously in the vicinity of the lower limit (rich air-fuel ratio).

The Power Commander is used (especially on '06 and '07) to smooth out lean throttle snatch at low throttle openings. Does very little for power. I am aware of this error because I had a PCIII on my '07 and saw this from time to time. Usually just after filling and worse in cooler wet conditions (IIRC). Shouldn't hurt anything.

I ended out removing the PC because of fuel mileage - original owner tuned for best performance, not just smoothness and it was hard on gas. Never fooled around with other "maps" and got used to the throttle. Seems that some bikes were worse than others.

Edit: For the normal Power Commander installation, the bike's O2 sensor is disconnected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Read somewhere there was a throttle body replacement cam that was supposed to solve that odd throttle response. Have to dig deeper on that and might yank off the PC as I’m sure the bike will still have more power than I have skill. The replacement spyder connect is on the to-do vin check list. Thank you for the info.

I don't know whether there is a replacement pulley for the throttle bodies or not - you might consider getting an eBay replacement TB set from a 2008-12. There is, however an aftermarket throttle tube (G2) that will help with the off-idle response. The G2 has a different cam shape than the OEM.

https://www.g2ergo.com/

The Error 32 won't hurt anything and a properly programmed PC will help with smoothness. The hit on fuel economy depends more on the mapping for higher throttle openings so it might not be too bad.

Mapping is a little different in the '06 and '07 as well. The cure for that would be an ECU from a later model. I might just do the G2 and call it good.

Before you pull the PC III, I'd suggest just reconnecting the stock FI harness behind the throttle bodies (the PC III just plug in IN-LINE with the factory harness to intercept and modify the signal to the injectors). That way you can test operation without the PC III and easily go back to having it installed. I've recently did that on my 130,000 mile 07 FJR and immediately decided that I still really like having the PC III installed despite the hit on fuel economy.

Maybe it was the G2 solution to the throttle smoothness as I do not recall specifically It was during a time when I was gathering as much info as I could on the different years to consider buying and which ones had different issues, etc. I am all for better fuel economy so the PC is not required as I am not riding this beast as a speed monster, just wanna nice solid and comfy ride under my butt with the occasional throttle smile. Too many cops around here anyway looking to pad their coffers!

Thanks to everyone!

As mentioned, the PC III does very little for ultimate power or speed. It may or may not have a large effect on fuel economy - depending on how the mapping is set up. It CAN definitely improve throttle "smoothness" at lower throttle openings. As Harald suggests, give it a try without the PC before you actually remove it. Easy to unplug and put back without physically removing it from the bike. Remember to reconnect the O2 sensor when the PC III is unplugged - (Dynapro recommends disconnecting the O2 sensor for PC installation).

Pulled the S/N and all the TSB’s and recalls have been done. Even the computer upgrade so don’t know why the PC is on there. Guess the previous owner fell for the sales pitch. Going to do the unplug and test as mentioned. Looking to order the G2 as well. Did notice some cable slop and have yet to get out to see how that feels after that adjustment....otherwise absolutely love this bike!

Thanks again for all the input and knowledge!

The 06 and 07 mapping is pretty crappy and a PC does help overall but you need to spend time getting it right or you will take a hit on fuel economy.

The computer upgrade was to cure Altitude Sickness - it didn't do anything for the overall mapping.

Hopefully Ivan can get the 06 computer flash up and running to solve all the BS. Getting 40mpg with the PC right now. Need to check the TB sync and adjust vales soon.

Hopefully Ivan can get the 06 computer flash up and running to solve all the BS. Getting 40mpg with the PC right now. Need to check the TB sync and adjust vales soon.
Even with the Gen II flash (if it ever happens), you would still likely benefit from the G2 throttle tube.

The crappy mileage was the main reason I removed the PCIII from my '07. I got used to the throttle behavior pretty quickly (even without aftermarket throttle tube). As it has been said, not all of the early Gen II bikes behaved the same. Some were all but unmanageable with the stock fuelling and others seemed to be not-too-bad. Either mine fell into the latter category or I have better manual control (or I'm dumber) than some other owners.

Did you try unplugging the Power Commander to see if it makes a large difference for your bike and riding habits?