Gen 3.6 - New Transmission Shifting Issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
I am having some undesirable shifting issues with newer 6 speed transmission and wondering if any other folks are experiencing anything similar.

I acquired a used '16 FJR ES this past December. Only had 7,500 miles on it. Rode it around locally for 8 months putting a whopping 1,000 or so miles on it. Didn't notice anything askew. Well, I just got back from a trip to Chicago and back on it so finally was able to spend some time with the machine and start the bonding process. A great bike, but I experienced some shifting issues. Specifically, when shifting from 1st to 2nd it would end up in neutral far too often. Even after adjusting to this and really giving the shift lever a firm jerk upward, it would still go into neutral on occasion. Highly annoying. And I don't think it is my technique causing it. I will say the shift 'feel' is poor on this 6-speed transmission compared to both my 04 and 09 FJRs or any of my other 5 speed FJRs I have owned. The satisfying *snick* of the earlier FJRs is missing.

The 2nd issue I noticed was during downshifting. When coming to a stop from 6th gear, far too often it would not downshift through the gears until I cycled the clutch again. Sometimes requiring multiple clutch cycles while downshifting to get into 1st. Now I have had this occur on just about every bike I have ridden *on rare occasion*, but it was happening far too often on this bike for my liking. And this is while the FJR is still rolling, not completely stopped.

So has anyone else experienced these symptoms? I have a very early VIN. Is my bike an anomaly? Or some design attributes with the new 6 speed transmission?

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike started having issues with downshifting and a cleaning and lubing of the whole shift linkage fixed it right up. 10 years old and 95K+ so could be totally different but even a new bike could get something gummed up in there. Is your linkage all clean?

(I know the 2015 is a very different transmission from the 2016. But you asked about similar experiences, and this is similar.)

My 2015 did that a LOT -- shifting up into neutral instead of second gear. The dealer's shop guys always muttered something about improper shifting technique or wussy foot movements or some other shit. After the third or fourth ask, I got this advice: "Wind it up pretty high in first gear -- at least 5,000 rpm -- before shifting, and make sure you shift authoritatively."

That was two years and 30,000 miles ago. I modified my shifting technique and the bike has shifted easily from 1st to 2nd since then.

Have no problems downshifting, even when pulling the clutch and walking the gears down from fifth to neutral on the same clutch pull. At least no instances that I remember.

1st to second going into neutral, check for shifter lever position (takes more lever throw to skip over neutral) and then check for clutch drag.

My 2015 did that a LOT -- shifting up into neutral instead of second gear. The dealer's shop guys always muttered something about improper shifting technique or wussy foot movements or some other shit. After the third or fourth ask, I got this advice: "Wind it up pretty high in first gear -- at least 5,000 rpm -- before shifting, and make sure you shift authoritatively."
That was two years and 30,000 miles ago. I modified my shifting technique and the bike has shifted easily from 1st to 2nd since then.
I wouldn't have accepted that from the dealer - it's a workaround. I hate that approach of blaming the user.

You might find that 30k miles later, everything has broken in and that technique is no longer required.

Mr_Canoehead posted: I wouldn't have accepted that from the dealer - it's a workaround. I hate that approach of blaming the user.
You might find that 30k miles later, everything has broken in and that technique is no longer required.
I only accepted it after I realized there would be no other answer. The issue is recorded in at least three maintenance entries in Momma Yama's computer servers, so it's on the record.

My 2015 has about 63,000 miles on it, so I'll be ecstatic if she goes another 30,000 miles without the need for a major repair.

My bike started having issues with downshifting and a cleaning and lubing of the whole shift linkage fixed it right up. 10 years old and 95K+ so could be totally different but even a new bike could get something gummed up in there. Is your linkage all clean?

A very remote possibility. At least until ruled out. Ya knows...... I got over 500k miles on multiple FJRs of the 5 speed variety and have NEVER before had these issues so it's hard for me to believe it's simply a lube the shift linkage issue.

1st to second going into neutral, check for shifter lever position (takes more lever throw to skip over neutral) and then check for clutch drag.

The shift lever may not be at my ideal position, but as I stated I modified my shift technique after experiencing problems. Some of the shifts that went into neutral I had my instep under that sucker and pulled hard! Now clutch drag..... how do I check that? Perhaps a clutch plate soaking is in order? Might fix the downshift issue too?

I am having some undesirable shifting issues with newer 6 speed transmission and wondering if any other folks are experiencing anything similar.

I acquired a used '16 FJR ES this past December. Only had 7,500 miles on it. Rode it around locally for 8 months putting a whopping 1,000 or so miles on it. Didn't notice anything askew. Well, I just got back from a trip to Chicago and back on it so finally was able to spend some time with the machine and start the bonding process. A great bike, but I experienced some shifting issues. Specifically, when shifting from 1st to 2nd it would end up in neutral far too often. Even after adjusting to this and really giving the shift lever a firm jerk upward, it would still go into neutral on occasion. Highly annoying. And I don't think it is my technique causing it. I will say the shift 'feel' is poor on this 6-speed transmission compared to both my 04 and 09 FJRs or any of my other 5 speed FJRs I have owned. The satisfying *snick* of the earlier FJRs is missing.

The 2nd issue I noticed was during downshifting. When coming to a stop from 6th gear, far too often it would not downshift through the gears until I cycled the clutch again. Sometimes requiring multiple clutch cycles while downshifting to get into 1st. Now I have had this occur on just about every bike I have ridden *on rare occasion*, but it was happening far too often on this bike for my liking. And this is while the FJR is still rolling, not completely stopped.

So has anyone else experienced these symptoms? I have a very early VIN. Is my bike an anomaly? Or some design attributes with the new 6 speed transmission?
Yes, I've had both these issues with my '16. For the 1st-2nd shift, I just assumed I lazily shifted. I never actually looked for the neutral light. It has only happened like 1/2 dozen times (66k on the bike) and its always when I'm reving 1st pretty high. As for the downshift issue, I just make sure I downshift 1 gear at a time while I'm still moving. My first FJR, so I can't compare to the previous 5 speeds. Oh yeah, Rotella T6 since the first week.

Just to help a friend, I'll take the POS GEN3.6 off your hands for $100!
rolleyes.gif

Skoot, have you looked at the shift lever position by chance? Possible the PO adjusted the lever to the extreme upper position? I ended up adjusting the lever on my '15 to accommodate new [thicker] boots after having "issues"...
weirdsmiley.gif

~G

..... you can adjust the shift lever position? Learned my "something new" for today.

Haven't had the upshift issue, but if I'm slowing down at a light or stop sign and I delay downshifting it will act that way. Learned to start downshifting earlier. Never had the issue with my '06.

I had the same issue with my 16ES. The shift throw is too far. Coming from a sport bike, the excessive shifter throw was one of the first things I noticed when I got the bike. I solved this by replacing the shifter arm with one from an R6. It is about 10mm shorter than the FJR shifter arm which reduces the throw by about 20%. Adjusting the linkage helps, as well. I also find preloading the shifter helps reduce the clunkiness.

Serves you guys right.

The FJR never needed a sixth gear, and -- to make room for the extra pinion -- they probably had to stamp all the gears out of cheap Chinese aluminum. Split your case and see. If the gearbox looks like a pile of crumpled tin foil, well, ........ replace it with a 5-speed.

Skoot -- I'd like to send you a message but apparently your mail box is full or protected. Ping me.