Canadian documents required

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art miller

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Another rider and I are going to be riding up to British Columbia and Alberta in mid August. My riding bud seems to think we will need more than just a passport to enter Canada. We realize we will need a valid drivers license and registration and perhaps proof of insurance. Will our U.S. proof of insurance card provide such a requirement? Are there any other requirements? I have driven cars from Washington state into British Columbia various times and do not recall being asked for anything other than a passport. Thanks for any info you may provide.

Border requirements are just passport, EDL (enhanced drivers license, issued by some states) or NEXUS.

DL, registration and possibly insurance docs required by LEO, should you be graced with such an encounter.

Your US insurance docs will be all you need.

Have fun and remember firearms require registration to enter Canada, prescription drugs should be in the original container, and recreational drugs are not allowed, in any form, no how, no way. Same when re-entering USA.

-Steve

Make sure you take a handgun...... a big honking one!
But make sure you don't tell the Border people about it. They LOVE surprises!!
weirdsmiley.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, sorry, I should have mentioned that. It is key that you do so. You will then get the complete Canadian experience.

Thanks to all for your comprehensive advice. I suppose I will leave my S&W 357 magnum at home in California. If I am challenged by a moose I will have to rely on my PIAA Freeway Blasters.

But if you do, you must say them in both English and French.

(My crossings this summer were completely painless. No special documents needed but the PP.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Flying one's own airplane to Canada and back is totally different, due to US border-crossing regulations. At least ten different ceremonies to be performed, most introduced due to Homeland Security requirements as a result of 9/11. And passports required - no enhanced driver's license or similar. Interaction with the Canadians, in my experience, has been totally without hassle. Less than in a car/bike, believe it or not.