Technic for Waterproof Gloves?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShoopCE

Reaction score
I was out for a long overnight trip last week and left knowing it was going to rain. So this was the first time I wore my frog togs and Cortek waterproof gloves. It rained for a long part of the ride and heavily at times. After several hours the gloves were soaked. But I'm pretty sure the water got in through the gauntlet opening. I had the frog tog sleeves tucked into the gloves. With the shield fully up it felt like the wind/rain was coming up and from behind.

Would it have worked better to have put the tog sleeves outside the gauntlets? Perhaps it would help to duct tape the sleeve openings to the gloves?

Suggestions?

The frog togs and the TCX X-Tour boots were amazing. Though the togs top was way too hot/humid until I got to higher elevations and lower temps. Oh yeah, and the Pilot Road 2's were freakin awesome too. Not sure where the previous owner found 2's.

Chris

Nope, on a bike where wrists are below elbows in riding position gauntlets inside sleeves. At least that's my PNW experience. No need for duct tape or other inventions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sleeve over gauntlet. I've had much experience of riding in the rain. Water isn't blown back up your arm, it runs down the jacket sleeve.

From a ride a few days ago:

(Click on image for larger view)

Other pointers:

Gloves often have inner linings that aren't sewn into the fingers. In damp conditions, if the lining rucks as you pull the glove off, it can be extremely difficult to feed the fingers back into place with your damp hands you inevitably have after putting on your wet helmet. When you take the gloves off, hold the tips of the fingers to hold the linings in place, makes it much less difficult to get the gloves back on.

Wet gloves will often feel damp inside after they've been off for a while. I believe this is because, as the water on the outside evaporates, some of the vapour will get through the breathable lining. This will dry out as the warmth of you hand reverses the process, even it it's still raining, though it might take several tens of minutes.

Personally, I only use Gore-tex lined gloves (and suits and boots). Pricey, but you do get a good product.

A little bit of light rain riding.

What mcatrophy and others say ^^^^. Sleeves over gloves.

If you can park out of the rain, stuff each glove down into the space bewteen the forks and the inside of the fairing. The rising engine heat will cook the gloves nicely and they will not be damp feeling when you put them back on for the next leg of your journey.

-Steve

Like McAtrophy, I wear gore tex gloves but with the gauntlet over the sleeves.

As long as I keep my arms level or up, not a drop into the gloves, for hours on end...

I suppose the other way works just as well, but the sleeves of my suits are narrow and stuffing the gauntlet in there would make it a bit uncomfortable and too impractical (time wise) to put on and off.

To each is own...

Cheers,

Daniel

If you wear gauntlets over sleeves, don’t ever lower your hands. Period. That negates any gear you’re wearing, and getting wet isn’t the gear’s fault.

I sometimes have an elasticized gauntlet over my sleeve and then I use disposable Tyvek laboratory sleeve covers over that. They are 18" long and elasticized top and bottom. Pretty inexpensive too,

Tyvek%20Sleeve%20Cover.jpg

Gloves turn to buckets when you put your hands down. Sleeves over, if possible, but be sure the elastic seals decently or the water blows up your arm.

There are some winter gloves that have a waterproof layer/gauntlet that goes inside your sleeves, and another gauntlet that goes outside your sleeve. Usually a hole or two in the wrist area to let water out from between the two layers. The pair I have are Scorpion Tempest.

https://scorpionusa.com/products/apparel/mens-gloves/gloves-m-tempest.html

Going to be hard to beat at $80...

I got a tip from one of the guys on our rain soaked Mexico trip back in 2013 - rubber gloves with liners if its going to rain heavily for long periods, like the kind you use when frying stuff.

Not much protection from crashes but your hands will stay dry (except from sweating if its hot) nearly forever. He was nice and dry for 5 days of rain while I soaked through 3 sets of gloves and by day 2 was putting on wet gloves every morning.

Sorry, I haven't really followed any of the comments since I watched the video Mcatrophy posted up there ("a little bit of light rain riding").

All I can think of is how the heck did you get out of that parking space at the end (at about the 10:25 mark). Your buddies backed in, but when I saw you were heading down that little grade to park--in a dirt/gravel lot(!!)--I started yelling "No, No! Back it in!"

At least your friends were there to push you back out, I guess.
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, I haven't really followed any of the comments since I watched the video Mcatrophy posted up there ("a little bit of light rain riding").
All I can think of is how the heck did you get out of that parking space at the end (at about the 10:25 mark). Your buddies backed in, but when I saw you were heading down that little grade to park--in a dirt/gravel lot(!!)--I started yelling "No, No! Back it in!"

At least your friends were there to push you back out, I guess. :rolleyes:
If you think about it, they backed in on one side, I nosed in on the other. There was a bit of a slope, they backed in downhill, I was pointing uphill.
I'm not completely stupid :acute: .

Dont know how to "Split" a thread, sorry.

Mcatrophy-"a little bit of light rain riding"

There is blue sky in your video, bloody hell man, that'a barely a sprinkle! :)

When water is bouncing back off the road and there is a cup of water in your crotch, now thats rain.

Seriously now, can you take a moment to explain the etiquette of riding on a single lane road? I thought I had the rules figured out, I see where you pull over when being overtaken from behind; I am confused about your actions with oncoming traffic.

Thx

-Steve

Dont know how to "Split" a thread, sorry.
Mcatrophy-"a little bit of light rain riding"

There is blue sky in your video, bloody hell man, that'a barely a sprinkle!
smile.png

When water is bouncing back off the road and there is a cup of water in your crotch, now thats rain.

Seriously now, can you take a moment to explain the etiquette of riding on a single lane road? I thought I had the rules figured out, I see where you pull over when being overtaken from behind; I am confused about your actions with oncoming traffic.

Thx

-Steve
Well, a bit off topic, but it is the weekend
smile.png

Not much point in me videoing "real" rain riding, all you'd see is a stream of solid water running on the windscreen. But my hands still stay dry (feeble attempt to be on topic).

As for the etiquette for the single lane roads: In Scotland, many of the roads are single lane. They are almost always provided with passing places every few hundred yards, where the road is widened on one side or the other for a short distance. A vehicle in one direction has to stop within that length while the vehicle in the other direction goes by. The system relies totally on the cooperation of all drivers. There is no actual rule, but usually as you approach each other, the one closest to a passing place will stop, even if it's on the other side of the road; here the stopper will stay on his side of the road, the passer will zig-zag through the passing place.

In the main tourist months, the roads can get quite busy, and, inevitably, many visitors are more used to city driving, and progress can be very poor. Which is one reason why the trips we go on are at the beginning of (or just before), or at the very end of (or just after) the season, when traffic is lighter (and often more rain - feeble attempt ...), and most of the traffic that is there is locals who allow almost seamless progress, whether it is them or us who are the stoppers.

It is also seems that generally car drivers are more likely to stop early when they see a group of motorcycles approaching, even if we've already stopped. On such occasions we start moving again without anyone going by, which probably seems peculiar to someone watching the video.

The one vehicle that passed us was a tradesman's van (that's what I think would be referred to as a panel van in the 'States). Naturally, these vans can travel much, much faster than any motorcycle, at least on these roads, so our group's leader pulled us over to let him/her by. We won't hold up any person doing a job since we're merely enjoying the scenery.

You are not supposed to park in passing places, but we're motorcyclists, so we have been known to ignore that rule. But only when there really is no other traffic around.

(Click on image for larger view)

Ps. As for pulling over to let faster vehicles overtake, usually there are notices at the beginning of single lane roads asking people to do this. There's one of these notices at 8:35 in my video, but I can't read it because of the water on the windscreen. Again, locals are very good, some visitors are not, and will hold us up for miles. Yes, we generally are significantly faster than most traffic, vans excepted, of course.