Help- Power commander install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue2006kcj

Reaction score
So Ive look at several of the threads on the forum and realize that I need the power commander to relieve the throttle issue on my 06 FJR. Unfortunately, I think this is beyond my abilities at this time, but I would like to learn about doing his kind of thing. (Just got the fjr 2 weeks ago an didnt do work on my old C50 so Im a noob at maintenance items.) So, would someone be willing to help me learn by directing me and Id be willing to pay you. I live in High point NC and i cant do it for a couple weekends anyway. Camping with my boys this weekend and have to take my older sons stuff down to college next Saturday. Maybe Saturday Aug 25th.

I'd get a G2 throttle tamer first - the issue with the 2006/2007 is the funky shape on the throttle body cable sector. A throttle tamer will cancel that out. Another option is to get a TB set off a 2008 or later bike and swap the whole thing.

I do have a PC-V on my 2006 and it did make the bike run better everywhere but the G2 did more off idle (for less money).

If you still want the PC, it is a very easy install, BTW.

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue is especially prominent when shifting from 3rd to 2nd and the bike kinda jumps when u roll on the throttle. Rather disturbing when trying to take a corner. Ive seen it described much better in some of these threads, none of which I can remcall at the moment. Im also willing to start with the g2 throttle but being a noob not quite sure what to buy. Looked at a web site which just had a throttle and I wasnt sure how that would make a difference

Basically, the cable sector (the thing the cable wraps around) at the throttle bodies on the 2006/2007 bikes is a shape that makes the first few degrees of throttle movement very aggressive, so it opens the throttles very quickly, which results in jerky on/off throttle response. The tamer has an super gentle ramp at the handlebar end to cancel that out. You end up with behavior more like the 2008 and up bikes. It's a simple solution that works quite well.

From the G2 site:

The G2 Street Tamer Throttle Tube incorporates a non-linear ratio between hand throttle rotation and carburetor or throttle body opening. The “pulley”, or as we call it, “cam” pulls the throttle cable as the rider rotates the grip/tube. By altering the conventional, circular shaped cam, a vast improvement in control is achieved and “throttle snatch” is drastically reduced.

The G2 Street Tamer Throttle Tube has a cam with a reduced radius initially, which requires a slightly farther rotation to achieve the same carburetor or throttle body opening position as a stock throttle. This virtually eliminates the jerky “throttle snatch” especially evident in modern fuel injected street bikes. The radius increases or “ramps up” after ½ throttle to keep overall rotation requires to reach full throttle at or near stock rotation. For most models the Throttle Tamer includes a 400 style cam profile, but some will have alternative cam profiles. The cam proven to be the best all-round solution for each model is used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of us did not get as much relief from the "throttle tamer" as others. If you install a PC you need to have the right MAP to correct the problem. If you install a PC you will lose gas mileage. Go to TWO WHEEL OBSESSION's website and watch several of his video's about doing maintenance under the Gas Tank. They are great video's and you should probably watch several of them to familiarize yourself with the FJR. PM me if you install the PC and need a map or two. Good luck.

PS. I installed a small piece of copper wire on my throttle cam which changed the arc and solved my problem, but that is not for the faint at heart. Lots of things could go wrong when you start messing with the throttle. LOL

Make sure your throttle cables are adjusted correctly. It's super easy to do. Just a couple small nuts a few inches from the throttle.

IF you end up still needing or wanting a PC-III or V they are super easy to install, and PC sends them with great instructions. Make absolutely sure you ground the PC correctly. A bad ground will cause serious issues with the bike cutting out and generally running like shit.

Not sure if I'm reading what you wrote correctly, but if you're shifting mid-corner, stop doing that. Throttle through it in the correct gear, and then shift after you're out. This bike will do close to 90 in 2nd gear. You have PLENTY of leeway to make it through a turn and shift afterwards.

Everyone has given good information and I do agree with most of what has been said. I will submit that some '06/'07 FJRs run better than others. My grouchy friend HotRodZilla has an '07 and reports no issues with his throttle. My Pop had an '07 and his was TERRIBLE. Lean surging at steady low speed operation, horrible off/on throttle response and abrupt low RPM response. I will say that HRZ is a better rider than either me or Pop, but Pop's bike was BAD.

There are multiple fixes for this because there are multiple problems.

1. Set your idle speed to 1100 rpm. Really. That keeps the throttle from closing all the way, keeps the injectors flowing on deceleration.

2. G2 Ergonomics Throttle Tamer. As you have already read, the throttle cable pulley at the throttle bodies is elliptical on the '06 and '07 models. Only Yamaha knows why. The G2 tube cancels that.

3. Power Commander III or V. For the '06 and '07 models Yamaha ran a very lean fuel map in an effort to meet emission requirements. From '08 forward the fuel maps are much better. The Power Commander with a Smoothness Map installed adds fuel in the lower ranges to cure the lean stumble and lean surge. It works.

The Power Commander is an easy installation, it is very simple. If you can change your own spark plugs you can do this.

The Power Commander will render the Fuel Mileage display on your FJR dash uselessly optimistic. We also dropped a couple mpg of efficiency.

I still have the Power Commander V that we ran on Dad's '07. It has the Smoothness Map from FuelMoto which is where we bought it. If you want it, send me a PM. I can probably make you a decent deal.

In addition to all the great suggestions above, I also unwound the throttle spring on my 07 FJR to make it less stiff. The only downside is that the throttle doesn't snap back to idle when riding down the road, but this isn't an issue for me.

Between the G2 throttle tamer, the PC-III and the spring unwind my 07 is MUCH better behaved. Yes, the PC-III will lower your mileage because it adds more fuel to lessen the throttle snatch, which logically will reduce your mileage. Well worth the lower mileage to me.

I have done all. First was the G2tamer....helped a lot. Then was the spring mod on the throttle body......helped even more. Then installed a PCIII(It came with the bike)all issues completely resolved......very happy. The PCIII install was easy and there are many videos on how to.The "smoothness" map I downloaded made the throttle response and drivability sooooo much better.

Thank you all for the feedback. Hot Rod, I was braking an downshifting before the curve and then rolling on throttle thru curve, but that lurch or jump is rather disconcerting.

RedFish - Thank you. I'm thinking I need to try the G2 Throttle Tamer first. I also need to change my oil just to warm up to turning a wrench, then my goal was to do a Throttle body sync. From what I've read that seems helpful. got to buy the tool first tho.
uhoh.gif
Figured I might change spark plugs while I was doing TBS, and also adjust idle.

I've also noticed this hesitation, I guess I will call it, as I give the bike gas. It really hard to describe, but with a quick turn of the throttle it seems to almost choke out, as I rev higher its fine. Its only during that first bit of turn does the bike sound odd.

I also seem to have a little leak in the front right (as sitting on bike) fork

someone also told me I need to lube all the pivot points on the bike. I thik I can mange a few of them but taking off the center stand is probably beyond my capibilities at this point.

seems like a lot of little things that add up.

anyway, thanks for all your input. much appreciated.

You should look for a FJR tech day in your area. Then you can get people to help you out with all that maintenance.

I would also check the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) to make sure it is set correctly and hits all the numbers from 0-100. Just go into the diagnostic mode on the multi-function display. I'm not sure the menu number on an '06. Lube the throttle cable with some good cable lube while you have it apart.

Save the Power Commander for the last resort. Spark Plugs, TBS and the Tamer might be enough. I guess '06's have a more drastic throttle snatch than Gen1's. I did the above along with a PClll. The mileage hit with PClll was too much for me and I removed it. The PClll was pretty easy to install and use. It did smooth the throttle as advertised and functioned well. I also noticed roll on power seemed reduced with the PClll. I tried every map I could find and tried modifying and combining but just couldn't get the mileage I wanted.

But like Redfish Hunter said different bikes act differently. Some people only see a 2-3 maybe 5 mpg hit with the PC. Mine went from 50 mpg to 35-40 mpg. I couldn't get it much better regardless of the map I used. Also mine is a Gen1. Gen2's might be different but when I removed the PClll the bike felt stronger for whatever reason. There is a very slight blip at around 4k rpm without the PC that bothered me when I first got the bike. I hardly notice now especially when I'm getting 50 mpg.

Good luck for your quest of smoothness.

I'll add that cleaning the throttle bodies helps also. A lot of goo accumulates right at edge where the butterflies almost touch the bore. Cleaning all that out made a huge difference in my 2004 and 2008.

My '07 had a G2 tube on it unbeknownst to me and the snatch issue was still terrible. I did a cable adjustment to remove slack and that helped take the surprise out of the issue but still didn't fix it. Relieving tension on the return spring also helped. Finally, I found a used PCV on this forum, installed it and life is good! Trying to ride technical roads in AR and MO can be quite intimidating with throttle snatch. Now more of my attention dollar can be spent on sphincter control.

The installation is easy, plug and play. There are plenty of curves available to download.

Latest posts