Helmet noise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichDoyle

Reaction score
Slow learner. I've had (along with a couple of other helmets) a HJC FS-10 for years. I've also been in the habit of wearing earplugs or earbuds most of the time when using any of them. Nevertheless, this is the quietest of the three. Recently I'd grown tired of dealing with constantly inserting and removing said ear-stuffing devices multiple times when running errands around town. So I embarked on getting this helmet where it would be OK without resorting to this exercise. First I fiddled with the speakers so they are now right against my ears. That helped, but regardless of windshield position I still had this obnoxious wind noise above about 50MPH - but only on the right side. Hmmm.

It turned out that the face shield seal interface on the upper right had a small gap between the two. So I built up the seal a little thicker in that area with RTV. This has made a world of difference and makes it all tolerable. But now that this is improved I hear lower-level noise I never noticed before coming from below the helmet. It's engine, road, and some wind noise coming up from the bike itself.

I've used earplugs and buds for so long now that if forget to pop them in for some reason or try going without it's immediately very noticeable and actually uncomfortable. Even on the scooter with a half-helmet and no earplugs, used locally and rarely getting above 45 mph, I'm conscious of the noise. It's all what we get used to I guess.

That lower-level noise is what some manufacturers seem to be addressing lately. More and more I see advertisements of tighter neck and chin tolerances claiming reduced noise levels. I'm thinkin' RTV might be a little messy around the neck but I suppose one could wrap a cooling towel or something similar around there. Probably more of a PITA though after awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not that I mind wearing plugs/buds, but the act of inserting and removing a number of times within a short period that's a hassle. Earbuds in particular.

Plus before long I'll be wearing hearing aids - how to reconcile that with other stuff.

All helmets are noisy, some more than others. Even a well fitting full face that's rated to be quiet (Like that expensive German one) still expose the rider to high sound levels. I've tried many and still wear earplugs.

The only advance I've seen are these helmets:

https://www.quietridehelmets.com

They basically have an inflatable muff that surrounds the ear. I would guess with some work one could copy this concept to retro fit in their own helmet.

Just another differing opinion.....ear plugs increase my tinnitus and decrease the ride feedback. The crickets and buzzing in my ears is a constant reminder of days past which often bring on thoughts of things I would rather forget. Regardless of what I embark on whether it be flying, swimming, driving, watching TV or a movie, live music, shooting, conversations with family or friends, nothing stops the annoying sounds with one exception.....riding. Lucky me, another reason to ride!! It's not just the noise in the helmet but also the mental application of my attitude when riding, but regardless, I like the noise I hear from the wind and machine and the exhaust. The feedback provides me with another layer of reading the ride and feeling the road.

However, I did recently try a Sena Momentum Lite helmet. It has their built in bluetooth communicator and one of the features they put in these helmets to reduce the noise and increase the pleasure of listening to a conversation or music, etc. was to increase the amount of padding below the ears and around the bottom of the helmet on the neck line. If you have an opportunity, you may want to try one. Considering they have the built-in bluetooth, their price isn't bad and the helmet looks as protective as an HJC. For me, the extra bottom padding was annoying putting the helmet on/off, but others seem to like it. Just a thought.

All helmets are noisy, some more than others. Even a well fitting full face that's rated to be quiet (Like that expensive German one) still expose the rider to high sound levels. I've tried many and still wear earplugs.The only advance I've seen are these helmets:

https://www.quietridehelmets.com

They basically have an inflatable muff that surrounds the ear. I would guess with some work one could copy this concept to retro fit in their own helmet.
Interesting idea, I think. BUT--I'm not crazy about buying an unknown helmet to get their earmuff technology. That's the same issue with helmets with rear-view technology and a couple of other innovations. I would, though, consider buying some kind of pump-up noise blocking earmuff dealies (pretty much like what they have here) that I could wear under my own helmet, which I like because it's comfortable and safe and has features I like (plus I already own it), if somebody happened to put one on the market.

Actually the helmet is absolutely quiet. If you wear it standing still there is no noise. The noise is created by the air flow around the helmet so controlling the air is the key. I rode a GL1500 wing once that had a sail on it big enough for the Queen Mary and there was almost no noise but it was suffocating without air flow. The quietest ride I had was my KLR with no shield and an old HJC helmet. Almost didn't need earplugs. If I'm running errands I just leave the plugs in and tell people to speak up.

Ear plugs do not increase tinnitus, no matter what your perception may be. It is just physically impossible that increasing noise attenuation will increase your hearing damage.

Now... when you have the ear plugs in you will definitely hear more background hissing, buzzing, pops, etc. bBut that is precisely because the earplugs drop the background noise so low that your tinnitus becomes more noticeable in comparison to the sound level. Just like what happens when you are in a completely quiet sound booth. Dont be confused into thinking that means it is making the tinnitus worse. It isn't

Ear plugs do not increase tinnitus, no matter what your perception may be. It is just physically impossible that increasing noise attenuation will increase your hearing damage.
Now... when you have the ear plugs in you will definitely hear more background hissing, buzzing, pops, etc. bBut that is precisely because the earplugs drop the background noise so low that your tinnitus becomes more noticeable in comparison to the sound level. Just like what happens when you are in a completely quiet sound booth. Dont be confused into thinking that means it is making the tinnitus worse. It isn't
Tinitus is, in many ways, a very subjective experience. Additionally, external audio can mask the effects, but they're there. At the moment, my wife is running vacuum cleaner. If I pay attention to that sound, the static almost goes away. Work on this post while blocking out the vacuum cleaner, and it's back. Did the volume level change? I doubt it.

There's no way to directly measure level and content of subjective tinitus. Tinitus volume is like pain and the one to ten scale: my 4 may be your 7 or vice versa.

Tinitus can be caused by ear damage, very loud noise for extended periods, even a major wax build-up causing transient hearing loss. Objective tinitus can, in fact, be heard during an ear exam. Anyway, is the "volume level" really changing with circumstances? Maybe, maybe not. That's life with subjective tinitus.

Hearing tests can establish degree of high frequency loss due to tinnitus. Nothing subjective about that. Also nothing subjective about the cause. Excessive sound levels either acutely or chronically will result in tinnitus. They are the only ears you will ever have. Protect them accordingly

Hearing tests can establish degree of high frequency loss due to tinnitus. Nothing subjective about that. Also nothing subjective about the cause. Excessive sound levels either acutely or chronically will result in tinnitus. They are the only ears you will ever have. Protect them accordingly
This week, I finally gave in and had a new hearing test. Hearing aids ordered and am scheduled for fitting and "tuning" next week.

Partly genetic, partly being stupid as a kid (music, target shooting etc.), insufficient care as an adult (lawn mowing, snowblowing chainsaw etc) and partly MC related. Although I ALWAYS use earplugs while riding now, that wasn't always the case.

It is surprising how much noise can come from an imperfect seal on a face shield but even with the best helmet, don't ignore the hearing protection. Eventually, you'll pay for it!

Regrettably, there's little hope of backing out of the situation. There are supposed to be "cures" or partial relief. None of my various GP's and internists (hate when the good ones retire) have suggested any therapy.

While tests do come up with a value, IMNSHO that applies to when the test is taken. There are good days and bad days. When, right now it's "static with high-pitched crickets", turns into a single tone... bad day.

I plead guilty to the usual rock and roll stupidity, but sometimes an infection or trauma or age also causes it. Sometimes s*** just happens.

I wear plugs riding and "mickey mouse ears" with motorized stuff - might as well save what I've got. I should look into aids, but haven't reached the tipping point. Yet. ;)

RossKean posted: It is surprising how much noise can come from an imperfect seal on a face shield but even with the best helmet, don't ignore the hearing protection. Eventually, you'll pay for it!
Amen, brother! I've been surprised at how much noise is generated by the Sena. Check your own by setting the cruise, then "streamlining" your Sena by cupping your hand over it.

Meh... any intercom, any camera, any face shield edges, air scoops, hands -. if something sticks out in the wind, it'll create turbulence. Turbulent air is noisier than laminar flow.

I'm amazed at how the simple adjustment of my face shield against the seal cured a good deal of noise on my Neotec. Follow their directions, they work. I've also found that wearing a neck roll helps dramatically.

You're right, a good shield seal makes a surprising difference. I have a Schuberth S1 I wear occasionally in place my GT Air. Riding around, I thought it was surprisingly noisy. Until I remembered it was in "city" mode, letting a little more air in. One good push, click and the noise dropped down.

Chin curtains are a good way to limit noise coming in and, to some degree, limit noise from air curling under the edge of a helmet. The bad news is the blocked air means a hot helmet. Add scoops and some noise comes back. Ya pays your money, ya takes your choice.

Perception <> truth regardless of the snowflake certainty solutions

I wear hearing protection even when doing yard work. I only wish I'd listened to others who warned me years ago. Today I was outside cutting diamond plate trim with an air compressor and cutting wheel. Yep. Ear muffs.

I'm pondering getting a Neotec II (No flames about price, please, I can afford it). Anyone tried this helmet out on the road? Mostly I'm interested in noise level.

Latest posts