Just Purchased a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT This Morning!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRPittsburgh

Rally Addict
Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT this morning. After signing the paperwork, I had to go to a golf outing and just got home. I haven't ridden it yet. My son Trevor picked up the bike at the dealership around noon today and rode it for a couple of hours. All he can say is that it's a spectacular bike. Trevor is either 5'7" or 5'8" and has a 28" inseam. No trouble riding it at all. The seat height is 33.5 inches in the low setting on the adjustable seat and it's lower after you sit on it. He has the balls of his feet firmly planted and has zero trouble with the seat height. Remember, this bike weighs less than 500 lbs with the side bags on.

When I got home, Trevor had the bike in the garage where I park my car. I jumped on the Tracer and backed it out of the garage. I couldn't believe how light the bike feels. It almost feels like a toy after backing the FJR beast out of my garage with my feet. I pulled my car in all the way to the front of the garage and pushed the Tracer in behind my car and put it on the centerstand. OMG! The centerstand takes hardly any effort to engage. So nice!

Anyway, I was getting texts from Trevor during his ride while I was golfing. One of the texts was "This bike is incredible!" Another one was "A Mode is unreal!" A third was "Love it! I broke the tires in real good. You already hardly have any chicken strips. Ha ha"

Tomorrow will be my turn to ride before I have to go back to work on Monday morning. I already know it's an amazing bike from all the video reviews I watched and of course, Trevor's gloating.
smile.png

Would the bike replace the FJR for me? Absolutely! I ride solo since we all have our own bikes. 395 pounds to reach capacity on the Tracer. I'll never come close to that. Will I sell my FJR? No way. We will most likely sell Trevor's Kawasaki Ninja 650R to leave he and I with 2 beautiful touring bikes.

The FJR side cases also fit on the Tracer. The Tracer's side cases are exactly like the FJR's except the lid is flat limiting the side case storage to 22 liters per side. I'll mount a Givi V56NN top case on the rear and I have a waterproof bag for the pillion seat if I need it for additional storage. A top case and a GPS is all you need to add. It already has everything a sport touring motorcycle needs.

BTW, my inseam is 30.5" and I have zero trouble with the seat height. The Tracer is even more beautiful in person. Tomorrow is going to be a spectacular day for me as I go out and play. I get to experience the flickable ride and power of the Tracer. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us know how the first ride turns out. Went [window] shopping today at one of our local dealers and inspected a Tracer GT more thoroughly.

Nice, nice...can't wait to ride one!

~G

I test rode 2017 FJ09 about couple months ago. Totally relate to the "felt like a toy" compared to the FJR. feels much later and smaller in comparison. I have 2016 FJR, so no, not getting a Tracer GT. maybe few years down the road, will pick a lightly used one to compliment my FJR and for a lot less money 😁

You golfed instead of riding your new bike?????
I did. It was a golf outing to raise money for MS. I signed up for it a couple of months ago before I knew I was going to pull the trigger on the Tracer. I couldn't disappoint my playing partners by not showing up. I'm making up for it in spades today. Really fun bike. I love it!

I test rode 2017 FJ09 about couple months ago. Totally relate to the "felt like a toy" compared to the FJR. feels much later and smaller in comparison. I have 2016 FJR, so no, not getting a Tracer GT. maybe few years down the road, will pick a lightly used one to compliment my FJR and for a lot less money 😁
How much later did it feel? ;)

Playing golf or watching grass grow , not sure which I’d prefer.

Congrats on the new bike, where’s the pics ?

Would this bike be an FJR replacement? For example, if you wanted only one bike?
Yes it could be, but not for me. I'm keeping both. After riding the tracer today for about 100 miles, getting back on the FJR felt strange. More knee bend on the FJR for sure. More wind protection on the FJR. Of course I'd have to play with different wind screens on the Tracer. The FJR is easier to keep at a constant speed. The Tracer is a jumpier bike that wants to go in all gears. Of course no trouble keeping a constant speed while using the cruise control. There's an A mode which is most aggressive, a standard mode, and a B mode which is more touring like. Full power in all modes, you just get up to speed a little quicker in A mode. I kinda prefer the B mode as it's still a runner and seems a bit smoother. I think I'm going to like the Tracer as a touring bike. So light and maneuverable. Really fun to ride. If the Tracer was my only bike, I'd be a happy camper, but I'm a happier camper with both.

Guys, its an FJ-09. They just changed the name. Nobody was making these kind of assertions about the previous model. Its a lightweight day rider, not a transcontinental mule like the FJR. Congrats on the purchase. Have fun with it.

And dont take any crap from these D-bags who have never played golf except at the local putt-putt. It is a great and challenging game, and good exercise if you walk the course. Screw them if they cant appreciate it. Theyre probably too uncoordinated to play well anyway.

Right Fred. It's an updated FJ-09 with about a 2.5" extension of the swing arm and all the bells and whistles. It's not a heavy beast like the FJR, but I certainly wouldn't have any trouble touring on it. Riding 2 up for an extended trip would be pushing the weight limit of 395 pounds. I don't tour 2 up, so it's a great machine for my touring style. It sure is a sweet bike and I will tour on it after adding a top case and a GPS.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/models/tracer-900-gt

As for golf, it's a thinking man's game. So there you have it. :)

I test rode a Tracer as well. I also rode the FJ09. The Tracer is a big improvement. The longer swing arm, better electronics package, and adjustable suspension are great. I really want one. I miss having a lighter bike. Yes, the FJR is a splendid tourer, but I would be just fine on the Tracer. I rarely ride 2-up though.

My only complaint with the Tracer was the passenger pegs. Yamaha moved them down and forward, so they contacted my boot when I had the balls of my feet on the rider pegs.

I test rode a Tracer as well. I also rode the FJ09. The Tracer is a big improvement. The longer swing arm, better electronics package, and adjustable suspension are great. I really want one. I miss having a lighter bike. Yes, the FJR is a splendid tourer, but I would be just fine on the Tracer. I rarely ride 2-up though.My only complaint with the Tracer was the passenger pegs. Yamaha moved them down and forward, so they contacted my boot when I had the balls of my feet on the rider pegs.
Can you just take them off?