Steering Heads surprise.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meriban

Reaction score
I bought my FJR band new from the dealer in Issaquah Washington...They said it was new, no others before me...I rode it back hometo Phoenix...So, a year and a month later, I am on a of the west...As I am riding long, I find that my letting are is sports than my right, either that or the steering is off...As it turned out, the left handlebar bar is further forward than the right...So, I looked up the solution, as it turn out, the handlebars are adjustable. While riding down CA 36 coming from Lassen,

I noticed the front tire is in need of replacement...I found the best tire shop I had ever found after getting no help from the local Yamaha Dealer...All Terrain Tire Service in Redding. They had a new tire on my bike the next day...The Yamaha dealer said that they charge 75 dollars per hour and it could take them 3 hours or so. I decided to bypass the dealer...

Since I didn't have a torque wrench I asked the tire guy to adjust the handlebars for me, he said he was glad to do it. When I came back the next day, the handlebars weren't on...He asked me if I was the second other and I slid no, I am the first owner...he then showed me the steering heads where the handlebars mount...on the right side,the holes where the pins on the handlebar which are used for adjustment are elongated and unusable...

There is no evidence of damage to the handlebars, as if it hit the ground at all, I haven't done any service on it, just the dealer while it was under warranty. I went to another dealer in Washington today to order the part I needs to replace the bad part and told him of my dilemma...He asked for the VIN which he then looked up and found some interesting information

One years...I prime to my purchase the replaced the ECU, the letting and right hand cowlings, the side stand and stand switch...It zeemsto methat if it was a new bike, why would they need to replace the cowlings? Why would they not disclose to me that they repaired it, did they dro it and replacement the parts that we're obvious...I feel as if they lied to me and gave meal bike which was not as advertised..

What should I do with this dilemma? If anything...Should I ignore it, talk to the dealer? When I called the dealer and spoke to the service guy, he told me that thesteering isn't adjustable, there are no pins on the handlebars and I don't know what I am talking about...

I am frustrated...I wish I could show you the pics.

Sounds to me to be a long, drawn out, very expensive relationship with a lawyer. Me? One of two things:

- I'd fix the things I think need fixing, possibly with replacement aftermarket stuff (Heli bars, etc.) and ride it, all the while loving this little red headed bass turd step-child as if it were mine, or

- sell it if it bothered me that much, probably without fixing anything.

It's just not worth the expense of fixing it AND paying a lawyer, and what for? You'll never get satisfaction from any dealership, that's just the way it is. And Yamaha Corporate is like any other corporation- they got their money, screw you. That also is just the way it is. I got plastics broken on my bike by a dealership in 2009. Dealership said they didn't do it, corporation said "screw you. Don't you know what "INDEPENDENT YAMAHA DEALER" on the sign in the window means? Have it out with them, leave us alone, not our problem".

I would start by contacting Yamaha in Cypress CA and describing the situation. Phone call and then an appropriately directed email with relevant photos. If this cannot be settled through the dealer or through Yamaha Corporate, a civil lawsuit would probably cost you more than you would get back. It looks like the bike was damaged in transit, in their store or they bought it at a deep discount from someone and (inexpertly) fixed it up to sell. While not necessarily illegal, it is something that should have been disclosed at the time of sale. (I assume the odometer was at zero miles when you bought it?)

Proofread your email before you send it to them or get some help with it if English is not your first language - your forum post was painful to read.

I bought my FJR band new from the dealer in Issaquah Washington...They said it was new, no others before me...
Sounds like I90 Motorsports. So the paperwork had zero, or near zero miles listed and said it was new?

Thanks for the responses, this new tablet does auto correct and changes the words, adds words or misspells them horribly. Sorry for the unintellegible post...

I don't mind paying for the part, it is only $115.00. I am just upset over the non disclosure of previous damage, then they gladly took my money and said nothing. I will eat the cost and send some letters to all parties involved.

Thanks all for your assistance.

The bike had 10 miles on it at time of purchase...
I'm thinking that if the bike is in otherwise good shape, I'd fix what does need fixing and move on. I hope, at least, that you got it for a good price. It does sound like it either got dropped or damaged in transit or they let someone demo ride it and he/she couldn't handle it.

Anyway, once you get the wrinkles out, it's a fantastic bike!

Dan

I'd ask to see when the bike was first Warranty Registered, any service manager or writer can run the inquiry. Might have been a dealer demo program bike dropped on a test ride. As I remember, and the programs may have changed since I was in the business, Dealer Demo bikes were warranty registered when placed in service, then additional warranty coverage was added upon sale after demo service was complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode it very infrequently because I was diagnosed with Parkinsons disease, and was recovering from cancer surgery and couldn't use my left arm/shoulder very well. I only caught it because I was riding it for the first real long ride. I didn't think about taking the handlebars off to look for damage. Especially when it was under warranty.

The service guy said it was damaged in the crate and they fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode it very infrequently because I was diagnosed with Parkinsons disease, and was recovering from cancer surgery and couldn't use my left arm/shoulder very well. I only caught it because I was riding it for the first real long ride. I didn't think about taking the handlebars off to look for damage. Especially when it was under warranty.
The service guy said it was damaged in the crate and they fixed it.
I try and reason with them and let them know there was some damage they missed. Perhaps they could talk with the shop where you had the repairs done to confirm there was indeed damage repaired by a reputable shop. Seems reasonable that they might feel obligated to cover the cost of the missed damage.