TX to Arctic Circle Part 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birkdale10

Reaction score
I mentioned in a couple of other posts about my planning a trip from the DFW area to go and take a picture of me and my FJR next to the Arctic Circle sign. Briefly: I now have that picture! The total trip was 8259 miles, included a ferry from Bellingham, WA to Whittier, AK. 18 days of riding, 4 days on the boat.

In the 18 days, I had a total of about 2 hours of precipitation. I consider that an amazing bit of good luck. Of course, half an hour of that was on the way back from the Circle, on the gravel 'haul road'. By the time I got to Fairbanks, I had as filthy disgustingly dirty a bike as I ever have had. I used a car wash and I've never seen so much dirt come off a bike.

The scenery was astounding, the roads mostly empty so I had good opportunities to look around. Alaska, Yukon and Northern BC, through the mountains, is probably the most wonderful riding I've ever done.

Moose, bear, antelope, bighorn sheep, squirrels (they are so much smaller than the ones in Dallas!), chipmunks (teeny!) and a few other animal sightings. Nothing jumping out on the road, luckily. There was a small group of 3 deer that ran right in front of the car in front of me, and he did hit the brakes hard.

Friendly people everywhere. I stayed at hotels, I'm just not a camper. Accommodations were available and adequate.

Two checks on the bucket list: Arctic Circle, and the 2016 FJR has been in 49 states, with 43k miles after 27 months.

I do have a good picture...but I have tried to find current, clear and simple instructions on how to post, and haven't been successful. My problem is that I do not want to sign up to a website. If there are other options, someone please reply, give me a link to another post, etc.

Awesome trip!

I mentioned in a couple of other posts about my planning a trip from the DFW area to go and take a picture of me and my FJR next to the Arctic Circle sign. Briefly: I now have that picture! The total trip was 8259 miles, included a ferry from Bellingham, WA to Whittier, AK. 18 days of riding, 4 days on the boat. In the 18 days, I had a total of about 2 hours of precipitation. I consider that an amazing bit of good luck. Of course, half an hour of that was on the way back from the Circle, on the gravel 'haul road'. By the time I got to Fairbanks, I had as filthy disgustingly dirty a bike as I ever have had. I used a car wash and I've never seen so much dirt come off a bike.

The scenery was astounding, the roads mostly empty so I had good opportunities to look around. Alaska, Yukon and Northern BC, through the mountains, is probably the most wonderful riding I've ever done.

Moose, bear, antelope, bighorn sheep, squirrels (they are so much smaller than the ones in Dallas!), chipmunks (teeny!) and a few other animal sightings. Nothing jumping out on the road, luckily. There was a small group of 3 deer that ran right in front of the car in front of me, and he did hit the brakes hard.

Friendly people everywhere. I stayed at hotels, I'm just not a camper. Accommodations were available and adequate.

Two checks on the bucket list: Arctic Circle, and the 2016 FJR has been in 49 states, with 43k miles after 27 months.

I do have a good picture...but I have tried to find current, clear and simple instructions on how to post, and haven't been successful. My problem is that I do not want to sign up to a website. If there are other options, someone please reply, give me a link to another post, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you'd like, you can email the photo to me and I'll post it for you. PM me for an email address if that's acceptable.

For some reason, I had some difficulties with the link but finally managed to get to the address. (Posted below) Once I got a functioning URL, I used the Image function to post.

https://atrophy.lock.net/pi/hosting/tmp/1_at_the_circle.jpg

1_at_the_circle.jpg

If you don't want to join a photo hosting website such as Flickr (for free), you can use Postimage.org.

When you upload to the site, it will give you a direct link you can post using the "Image" tool - assuming you are not using Internet Explorer.

Rosskean, Thanks for figuring that out for me. Now everyone can see my handsome face and the sad grey duct tape (explained in my 'Part 2' posting.