Bucks lake is still not open but...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bucks Lake road on the western side of the hill has been closed for two years since the big rains caused the whole road to sink about 10'. Signs say the road is closed and a 4 mile gravel road detour is in place when we rode up there yesterday. However Sam would not give up so we kept going to the actual location of the sinkhole. Well low and behold their is enough room on the upside of the road to ride a bike on the dirt around the hole. Yes you can get through with two wheels but that is all, no spyder's etc are going to make it.

Bucks Lake road is also a little dirty on the north side, as usual near Bucks Lake (as per Doug from the drunkards dragging their boat trailers through the dirt on the right handers).

The mix of sun and shadows on the road makes it hard to spot the dirty spots sometimes. Be watchful.

Other than that, it was rip-roaring ride - haven't been on that road in 3 years, it felt good to be back there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't try it on the wingabago.

I was on the man strom, and went through first, so Doug got a good look at the clearance margin... so ask him..

Doug was on his KTM.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at the high side pass 2 years ago, but I just couldn't do it. I did the dirt road instead. A bit rough in places then, I don't know how it is now.