2007 throttle spring unwound?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wistrick

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if the throttle unwind was done by the previous owner?? The throttle doesn't seem to pull any harder than the one on my Tenere or the GL1800...But bike does have the abrupt throttle issue....

Don't wanna unwind if it already been done...

thanks

Dan

Inspect the throttle spring. With the throttle completely closed, there *might* be a small gap where the throttle spring hooks at the throttle bodies. If it's good and tight, odds are it's not been unwound.

~G

Not really, though it might help you have a little more delicate "control" mid corner.

If you look in there, as someone else said, you will see if there is a lot of "tension" on it. Someone did mine before I got it.

I fixed mine by putting a short piece of copper wire right in the groove of the FI cam and therefore changing the cam arc.{you can find info of this if you google enough about the Gen. 2 throttle problem}

I tried a Power Commander 3, which with the right "map" causes the FJR to "stumble/burble" a little a small throttle openings and keep the on/off thing from happening, but I wasn't happy with losing 5-6 miles per gallon.

I installed that special aluminum G2 throttle which helped a little. [i also used my dremel tool to make the G2 even milder by grinding a deeper groove in it].

Good luck, Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Echoing 1911 ^^^^ exactly the route I took with my previous '06. Worked wonders at minimizing the abrupt on/off throttle transition.1200 rpm idle does wonders for shifting smoothness too.

~G

I did my throttle spring unwind when my 07 was new. It helped with the snatchy throttle problem, along with the G2 throttle tube/Power Commander/reduced throttle freeplay/1200rpm idle. In my case, there's now a slight gap between the loop at the end of the throttle spring and it's catch.

The only downside to the spring unwind is that the throttle doesn't snap back to idle when rolling down the road, but that's a non-issue for me because I normally move the throttle where I want it and don't rely on it snapping back to idle. It's actually kind of nice to be able to take my right hand off the bar momentarily and not experience dramatic deceleration - it gently slows. But if you're planning on taking your bike on the track, it might not pass inspection if the throttle doesn't snap to idle rapidly enough.