Mt. Washington - A Quick Day Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMaineiac

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
This past Saturday, with the very rare open day on my calendar, I decided that a trip to the top of Mt. Washington, NH was in order. I hadn't been to the top since I was a kid, and I have long wanted to take the motorcycle to the top, so with my youngest son riding pillion, we set out for a day of riding. The weather was beautiful, perhaps a little warm, but not bad and although there were a few clouds in the sky, we did find some on top of the mountain, limiting the visibility just a little. Still, it was a great ride and well worth the time.

Below is a fairly short video of the ride:

and some photos from the ride:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5tkBNL69EwyDZ4xA7

Enjoy!

I've been at the base parking lot three times and never made it to the top. One of these days.

Nice pics. Looks like a great motorcycling day was had. Thanks for sharing.

nice pics ! I had to stop and shut off about 3/4 the way up to let the Feej's barometer reset...she would barely run...

Nice, real nice. Was it your son's first time up there?
Yes, it was. He enjoyed it, but he admitted to being a little nervous, especially on the way down. Still, good memories made.

nice pics ! I had to stop and shut off about 3/4 the way up to let the Feej's barometer reset...she would barely run...
Interesting - I didn't notice any problems. I was curious to see if the elevation would cause any issues, but it didn't. I wonder if newer models are more sensitive in this regard.

models newer than my '06 [not sure when] need only 1/8 turn of the throttle to reset...my '06 needs 1/4 turn....no way to do that on the auto road near the top.

This past Saturday, with the very rare open day on my calendar, I decided that a trip to the top of Mt. Washington, NH was in order. I hadn't been to the top since I was a kid, and I have long wanted to take the motorcycle to the top, so with my youngest son riding pillion, we set out for a day of riding. The weather was beautiful, perhaps a little warm, but not bad and although there were a few clouds in the sky, we did find some on top of the mountain, limiting the visibility just a little. Still, it was a great ride and well worth the time.

[/trim]
Ah, you rode on a Saturday. That explains the traffic that, as I said in the YT comments, would have brought me close to being homicidal. Or seriously tempted to ignore the yellow line in a couple of curves with great viz.

Looking at a map, did you use US 2 from and to Wales? Assuming the traffic is manageable, it looks like a good ride.

[/trim]
Ah, you rode on a Saturday. That explains the traffic that, as I said in the YT comments, would have brought me close to being homicidal. Or seriously tempted to ignore the yellow line in a couple of curves with great viz.

Looking at a map, did you use US 2 from and to Wales? Assuming the traffic is manageable, it looks like a good ride.
Yes, as well as 26 and 119. I went to college in upstate NY and traveled those roads so many times I could do it blindfolded, but I actually really enjoy the ride and scenery - so I keep my eyes open.

If you are riding up in this neck of the woods, I would also consider going further north on 17 to Rangely Lake - always beautiful up there, then perhaps 16 west to Errol, NH, although I have heard that lately that road is a little rough and ready for resurfacing. It has been a while since I have made that ride, but it is also very scenic and I have encountered moose on it. During the day moose aren't as much of a problem. You can see them from a distance and they don't typically dart in front of vehicles like deer do, but I wouldn't ride up there at night. Moose eyes don't reflect like other animals and their hide is so dark they are nearly impossible to see until it is too late.

FYI - Route 26 has been replaced from Errol south to Newry. Very nice ride right now. 16 was replaced from Errol north / east to the Maine border. I heard Maine was getting ready to do it the rest of the way to Rangeley.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting routing comments. We visited some friends who were in a cabin on Rangely Lake. Nice country indeed. The good news is "our" moose was crossing the road (on our way to Kennebec) during the day, not acting as a stone wall at night. NTL I get why moose at night are no joke. TNX