Pilot Road 5s

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Road 5's are great tires. They grab well, they feel good, but he's right about not getting too much mileage out of them if you ride aggressively at all. It didn't get an FJR to ride straight and do the speed limit all the time after all. That takes away some mileage, but it's fun wearing the tread off.

I have Road 5's and now have just over 3000 miles on them. returned this past Sunday from a 2900 mile ride from San Ramon, CA to OR, WA, B.C. Alberta , ID OR, and back through Ca to home. Majority of this ride was on US and State highways. The tires are wearing well with no cupping or feather edge effect. There was no rain on the ride so I have nothing to report on that. On tight twisty roads the tires held like glue. I use dyna-beads in front and Ride-On in rear tire. I could ride for long stretches with no hands on bars and the bike was smooth as silk. That's my experience so far.

I have 2000 miles on mine and like them a lot running 40psi front, 42psi rear. They hold curves well and are very smooth on the slab. I'm hoping to be able to ride them down to EOM if they have enough tread left on them.

Of course we are all ignoring the fact that we are running the standard Road 5 because there is no GT version as of yet. We will probably all die a fiery aluminum and plastic death due to using the inferior standard version.

Edit: BTW, your thread title is Wrong. No "Pilot" in the name. Just Road 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just spooned on a Road 5 up front and a BF Goodrich Comp 2 on the rear last week. We shall see how that combination holds up to a two week cross country romp to EOM and back. The last tire paired with the G Max didnt work well at all; that AVON Storm has a long slender sipe pattern alternating side to side. The scalloping was deep and pronounced, to the point of actually noticeably tugging at the steering at low speeds. High speeds tended to wear me out a bit. We shall see how this Road 5 holds up with its smaller tread block pattern being totally symmetrical about the centreline.

Brodie

🤔

Just spooned on a Road 5 up front and a BF Goodrich Comp 2 on the rear last week. We shall see how that combination holds up to a two week cross country romp to EOM and back. The last tire paired with the G Max didnt work well at all; that AVON Storm has a long slender sipe pattern alternating side to side. The scalloping was deep and pronounced, to the point of actually noticeably tugging at the steering at low speeds. High speeds tended to wear me out a bit. We shall see how this Road 5 holds up with its smaller tread block pattern being totally symmetrical about the centreline.
Brodie
OH NO! Don't do it my Friend!

Running a Car Tire AND a non GT spec tire on your FJR will surely result in a Fiery Plastic and Aluminum Death.

Seriously would like to know how it does. Always fascinates me how some tread patterns cause different things with our bikes.

So far, so good.

Fresh rubber always makes the bike handle nice....

.... yes, even with a squarish cross section car tire on the back.

Brodie

😊

After the WeSTOC recon and WeSTOC proper my PR4s were gone at 5,300 miles. RedNeckJays Road 5s barely made it the 3,300 miles of the recon. He developed a vibration in the front tire and had it re-balanced while we were on the road. Helped for a little while. These are not the proper tire for an FJR if you plan to do more than commute.

JaysTire.jpg

That's almost 1/2" to the furthest use point and 1 1/2" to major tire use mark of chicken strip on my screen. Squids!!!!

Good to know these don't hold too well, I'm glad I went with different option. 3300 miles out of tire, wow...

OMG! Now that I have read this Bad Review on the Internet I am afraid to ride anywhere on the Road 5s! Thank Goodness I am only commuting! What was I thinking when I bought these POS tires?

OMG! Now that I have read this Bad Review on the Internet I am afraid to ride anywhere on the Road 5s! Thank Goodness I am only commuting! What was I thinking when I bought these POS tires?
You were probably thinking the same I was when I ordered a set. I thought they were the next gen of the PR4 GTs. Once I realized my mistake I returned them rather than running them.

It's not a POS tire, it's just not made for the FJR. The Michelin site still recommends the PR4 GTs for the FJR. But hey, it's your money.....

I'm starting to think I like the PR5 better than the PR4.

Maybe the extra 1 psi in both the front and rear?

Only have SEOR and a couple of day rides on them.

We'll see on the mileage.

Drove my buddies pumped up Honda S2000 on Pilot Sport 4S .

Michelin gave him a set for free. not bad for the street.

Maybe the extra 1 psi in both the front and rear?
I found the 'softer ' feel of the Michelins is aided by pumping in a little more pressure. If the max pressure is 42... try 42/42 for a set and see if you don't get higher mileage and less scalloping, etc. (I use 40/42)

BTW, this seems to work with their car tires too... pump them up... and they ride smooth but last longer.