Ram Mount-Stable?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3sacrwd

Reaction score
I am considering a Ram Mount for my 2014 FJR, but riding home from work today, with the OEM windshield in the lowest position it seems that mounted on my clutch cover, it would be right in the jet stream of turbulent wind. Anyone ever have one fly off? I would hate to lose my iPhone X on the highway. Thoughts?

Twisted cricket has the ticket for the way to go. I've been using mine for years without incident. I use the mirror base or the RAM Motorcycle Brake/Clutch Reservoir Base with 1" Ball along with the Short Socket Arm & RAM® X-Grip® with a device tether. I also use a lifeproof case and have ridden through hours of poring rain without any issues.

Part# RAM-B-309-1U

https://www.rammount.com/activity/motorcycle-bases#mirroradapter-base

Ram recommends you go this route with a Iphone X https://www.rammount.com/activity/motorcycle/wizard?step=2&cascade[device]=Phone&cascade[make]=Apple&cascade[model]=iPhone+X#wizard

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to use a Ram X-grip - never had the phone leave its nest. That X grip does allow the phone to do a twist motion - I just didn't trust it. I took delivery of a quadlock recently. Set the phone on the receiver and a quarter turn and it is locked into place. It is awesome. You can lock the phone in vertical or horizontal. There is a little release lever when you want to take the phone off (my lever is blue some don;t like the blue lever - they make black and white levers as well). I just ordered the universal adapter for my samsung tablet. I am going to give it another try as a bike GPS since the quad-lock will hold it in place.

Joe

I used the Ram X-grip for about 2 years and did have a few issues with it. On my older Android phone I had to be really careful of how I positioned the phone. If the phone wasn't put in the mount just so the contact points would hit some of the exterior buttons and make changes to my phone as i rode. Volume up or down, activate camera, and once do a complete reset on my phone! I also had my newer phone slip out of it once exiting a ramp off a nearby interstate. To be completely fair though, that ramp is just short of a motocross track and has since been extensively repaired by Penndot.

That last episode made me look into alternatives and I now have a Slip-&-Grip mount that I actually like much better. These are custom made for your make and model of phone and are only a few bucks more than the Ram X-grip.

If you decide to use the X Grip, set it to hold the phone case in landscape mode. The grippers will be holding on the top edge and bottom edge. Much more secure than portrait mode with the grippers on the left and right edges. Why fight gravity?

I have my LifeProof iPhone 6S mounted in this manner attached to the steering stem nut, which puts it between the handlebars just below line of sight for the speedometer and tachometer. Less shock loading due to a semi-nodal point, and in a protected area from the breeze. Hasnt slipped yet.🤞 Its also plugged into bike power via USB to lighting cord.

Brodie

🙂

3sacrwd posted: I am considering a Ram Mount for my 2014 FJR, but riding home from work today, with the OEM windshield in the lowest position it seems that mounted on my clutch cover, it would be right in the jet stream of turbulent wind. Anyone ever have one fly off? I would hate to lose my iPhone X on the highway. Thoughts?
The Ram mount itself is solid as a rock when tightened properly; it's the thing that grabs your phone that's worrisome.

I have a magnetic Lifeproof mount for my iPhone 5S (yes, it's old; like me) that has worked flawlessly for 50,000 miles.

Stick the Lifeproof magnet to the back of your phone's case, touch your encased phone into the mount, and it will stay there through anything: a coupe of hundred yards of rumble strips when riding on the freeway shoulder, a quarter-mile of dirt road, triple-digit speeds, and rainstorms that keep normal people inside the house.

To get it off, twist it a quarter-turn. See video at links above or below.

My circular Lifeproof baseplate is screw-mount; you'll want this style, maybe?

<edit, next day> Intended to get a photo in the evening, but realized the phone couldn't take the photo if it was on the magnetic mount. (Sometimes I amaze even my own self.) I promise, a photo is coming soon!

Using the ram x-grip is like closing one eye to drive home drunk. Be as careful as you like- it’s only going to work for a bit. Even with the rubber compensating thing. Don’t believe me? I’ve got an xgrip and a tether or two I’ll give you for shipping. Xgrip is never, ever, very far from suck. Slipgrip is what you use if you’re LD and care about your gear. Money well spent.

I am considering a Ram Mount for my 2014 FJR, but riding home from work today, with the OEM windshield in the lowest position it seems that mounted on my clutch cover, it would be right in the jet stream of turbulent wind. Anyone ever have one fly off? I would hate to lose my iPhone X on the highway. Thoughts?

I use the X-Grip with the little rubber web thingy to latch onto a couple of corners. Never had a single problem with it.

Looks pretty neat.

3sacrwd posted: I am considering a Ram Mount for my 2014 FJR, but riding home from work today, with the OEM windshield in the lowest position it seems that mounted on my clutch cover, it would be right in the jet stream of turbulent wind. Anyone ever have one fly off? I would hate to lose my iPhone X on the highway. Thoughts?
The Ram mount itself is solid as a rock when tightened properly; it's the thing that grabs your phone that's worrisome.

I have a magnetic Lifeproof mount for my iPhone 5S (yes, it's old; like me) that has worked flawlessly for 50,000 miles.

Stick the Lifeproof magnet to the back of your phone's case, touch your encased phone into the mount, and it will stay there through anything: a coupe of hundred yards of rumble strips when riding on the freeway shoulder, a quarter-mile of dirt road, triple-digit speeds, and rainstorms that keep normal people inside the house.

To get it off, twist it a quarter-turn. See video at links above or below.

My circular Lifeproof baseplate is screw-mount; you'll want this style, maybe?

RAM mounts, in general, are well made and do their job as expected. In addition to the phone holder on my FJR, I have two sets of RAM Mount balls and "dog bones" on our boat. One is set up for a Garmin handheld with external power, and two support a large and heavy Raymarine chart plotter. My only complaint is the clutch mounting base is painted and not anodized. Hydraulic fluid has bubbled the paint on the base.

I use the phone mount with a Samsung S7, and on a BMW K1200RS before the FJR. My only complaint is getting the phone and retaining strap together can be strenuous. After all the mount's been through, including a garage drop, I have no reason to mistrust it. Executive summary: Strongly recommended, will continue to use RAM Mount products.

Ram mount has excellent lifetime warranty. Recently I had a 15+ year old Ram suction mount that no longer held as the turning part worn out. I just went to their warranty web page, filled in my info and attached a picture of the part, plus $3.75, and I got a brand new replacement in a few days. Absolutely no question asked and no receipt needed.

I had my Samsung S7 launch from my X-grip at highway speeds. The OtterBox case saved it from oblivion. Yes, I'm now a life long convert to OB. I learned later that's why the rubber web thingy was included with later models. Hard lesson.

I'm missing a step. Was the S7 held only by the X's rubber end bits or did you have the pain in a neck to use rubber thing holding the phone, too?

Good testimonial for Otter Box! Do you have the Defender model?

No rubber web thingy at the time. I put my trust in the rubber posts since the thingy didn't originally come with my X-grip.

Yea...I contact OB and offered to be their poster child for the Defender cover. They appreciated the gesture and then sent me a replacement free.

Repeat after me:

Rubber bands bad, RAM tether good. RAM mount tether low price. ;)

There are a number of clones on Amazon. There's probably a reason why they sell two or more. I suspect it's not a good reason for phones.

Thanks all, I did get the Ram Mount for my Birthday and so far it seems to hold well. I had no idea what that rubber tether thing was for until I pulled up the link on RBEmerson's post. That seems that it would help to hold it in case it decided to come loose. Thanks for everyone's replies.