Yamaha top box disassembly / lock cylinder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mievil

Reaction score
The top box was broken at the latch when I bought it. Long story short it tried to kill me on the ride home. I got into looking into the forums and found this was fairly common and there was a recall to add a reinforcement plate.

I got a hold of the dealer who said the recall was expired. Called Yamaha who said the recall would be performed as long as parts were available and they still had stock of the plate so I had it sent to my dealer. Dealer just called and told me they can't put it on because the box was already broken. This after Yamaha recall rep told me that was a non issue.

I am currently trying to buy the reinforcement plate so I can do the work myself. I can fab something if necessary.

So, I came across a free top box that already has the reinforcement plate installed. It has some pretty good rash on it and is the wrong color. I'd like to swap lids between the 2 boxes and was wondering before I just started pulling screws if there was a clear procedure on this?

Also, the free box doesn't have the lock, so I need to install my old lock in the base of this one. Any info on how the lock cylinder replacement happens on this model?

Thanks!

Lock should be easy, the box is supplied without the lock, the lock is supplied separately with the bike. I'm away from home at the moment, but try pics I have of the instructions for the 50 litre box around here.

Super easy apparently to swap the lock. Thanks.

Do the 2 roll pins just push out on the hinges, or are the swaged?

I believe I have an unused reinforcement plate at home, but it looks like you already have a work-around. IIRC, it just glues onto the bottom of the box.

I believe I have an unused reinforcement plate at home, but it looks like you already have a work-around. IIRC, it just glues onto the bottom of the box.
If you have an unused one I may be interested depending on what you want for it. Let me know. :)

Figured everything out after I got my original box. The lock cylinder was held in place by 2 phillips screws. This may be a replacement since everything else is torx. But mine was phillips. The top clam came off with removing the elastic restrainer on the inside (2 torx) and the hinges have 2 torx on each side on the bottom of the clam. Removing those 4 torx screws took the hinges apart and allowed me to swap everything out. It's rattly back there, but in way better shape than it was originally.