Whats the procedure after tip over?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uenjoymyself

Reaction score
Well, It finally happened.
angry01.gif
I was in a rush, put it on the side stand, ran inside real quick and when I came out 5 min later the '06 FJR was on its side. Broke the mirror clean off scratched the upper faring and passenger foot peg as well as the exhaust can and the clutch lever. Thankfully the slider saved the side faring. I took some of the dash panel's off and the front faring support looks and feels intact.

I started it and let it run briefly just to make sure it would start. It started as normal. No smoke no leaks or drips. I guess I'm wondering if there is any chance of any fluids getting into places they shouldn't. The oil and coolant levels were as they were before the drop.

obviously I'll replace the mirror first then look into some touch up paint and parts to restore the aesthetics.

Are there any services that should be performed, or anything else I should be looking for, or aware of, before my next ride?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Broke the mirror clean off scratched the upper faring and passenger foot peg as well as the exhaust can and the clutch lever.
Check for a broken mirror mount bracket.
Yea, as stated I took some dash panels off and the support for the mirror looks to be good. Its different than the one in your link that is on a 2016 model. The one on my '06 is a square tubular design and feels strong and doesn't have any cracks that I can see from removing both dash panels.

I'm really more concerned about mechanical issues with the motor, drive train.

Thanks for your reply!

I have never heard of any bike that would require any maintenance after being placed on the side. Not with FJR but with some of my previous bikes I was actually placing them on the side intentionally to teach my wife how to pick them up if she had to. I wouldn't have a doubt to do the same with FJR if she was interested in it. IMHO fix what's broken, take your lesson on how to park in and enjoy your ride.

Thankfully they are designed to not leak fuel and oil all over the place when tipped over. I too was in a hurry, kicking the center stand instead of the kickstand. I failed to look, leaned it over without looking at the kickstand and down she went.

I was expecting fuel and oil dripping somewhere, but there was not a drop. I think as long as you stand it up and let it sit for a few minutes to let things settle before you start it, no harm done. There is a fault code 30 that shows up, but it doesn't effect anything, it just shows the Lean Angle Sensor was activated.

The center and kickstand are very close and at the same height/width and I have to be so careful with that kickstand. There is no saving it once it tips too far. It happens quick. I always put my foot behind the kickstand, once on the ground, and rock it back to make sure it's all the way forward.

Check the windshield mounting linkage for damage/cracks, especially if it rocked past 90 deg. Bounce the forks up and down make sure there's no extra friction.

Don't let it get you down too much. The motor and drive train will be fine.

You may have bent the mirror mounting frame (Gen2 ones tend to bend, Gen3 tend to break).

Check the gap between screen and mirror stems is the same both sides. If necessary, the frame can be straightened by using bolts through the mirror mounting holes to a piece of metal. You don't need to take the fairing off if you use spacers.

(Click on image for larger view)

If the ignition was on, it will stop the engine and store a fault code, but no other effect. In your case, no effect at all.

+1 mcatrophy: If the ignition was on, it will stop the engine and store a fault code, but no other affect. In your case, no affect at all.

Might be a good idea to check anything that might have hit the ground, handle bars and triple clamp, for any unusual issues.

Don't be shocked by the price of those parts.

...obviously I'll replace the mirror ...
I strongly suggest getting a set of FZ1 mirrors. I dropped my 07 on Mount Washington in one of the gravel turnouts. Broke the mirror right at the stem. A pair of FZ1 cost much less then an OEM replacement.

The real benefit is I can now see clearly behind me,
punk.gif
banned.gif

Once your bike tips over, you need to complete invert it and shake out all the positrons that leak out of the battery and into the wiring harness. If you don't then there might be a decrease in amp output as a result of positron blockage.

This happened to me once. I had an inappropriately positive outlook on life for awhile. But, it did not last.

What's the procedure after a tipover? Alternating periods of crying, swearing, and punching yourself in the head. (Figuratively, of course.)

As a man with several of those episodes on his record, I can assure you that fluid leakage is not an issue.

I also had a "tipover" in knee-deep water at 25 mph, where the bike lay half underwater for fifteen minutes until someone happened by to help me pick her up. She started immediately, and then carried me 450 miles back to the house.

My procedure after a tip-over is to pick the bike back up. Doh!

Comically, whenever a bike tips over, every rider within visual distance will immediately be compelled to run over to assist the poor tipee and get the bike righted as fast as possible, as if some further damage will occur by the bike not being properly oriented. (Wait, is oriented politically correct these days? Or should I have said Asiated?)

If no helpers dash to the rescue, the best way to right your ship is to put your butt against the seat, grab the close side handle bar with one hand, and the passenger grab bar with the other, and use your legs to push the bike back to vertical. If it fell to the right, smart tippers will deploy the sidestand before righting the bike so as not to push it over on the other side and create matching disfigurement.

If it fell on the left side youll need to be wary not to pick it up too far, and deploy the stand once you get it high enough, but not too high.

Get in the habit of leaving the bike in first gear. After you shut off the engine roll it forward, deploy the sidestand after the bike stops against the gear set, and then lean it on the sidestand. First gear becomes your parking brake; its the only one you have.

Do this every time you use the sidestand and that embarrassing episode will not be repeated.

Brodie

🤓

Get in the habit of leaving the bike in first gear. After you shut off the engine roll it forward, deploy the sidestand after the bike stops against the gear set, and then lean it on the sidestand. First gear becomes your parking brake; its the only one you have.
Do this every time you use the sidestand and that embarrassing episode will not be repeated.

Brodie
This is basic ferry practice for me every time I board.

Btw, don't some intentionally lay 'Wings on their sides for some work?

I also use my boot to kick the back side of the side stand to make sure its all the way forward before leaning the bike down.

And totally agree with Kevin. Take a deep breath and let it go. Whats done is done. These bikes are not pirate ship trailer queens. We ride them and we ride them far. Battle scars are gonna happen. Change the mirror, be extremely grateful that the front stay is in tact, and move on. It aint worth a heart attack.

Welcome to the club!!

The GEN III FJR, more than any other bike I've owned, needs protection from minor tip overs. There are stories galore of a tip over resulting in damage that costs multiple thousands of dollars to fix. I have Canyon Cages on the front as well as their pannier protectors on the rear. The front Canyon Cages are augmented with sliders affixed to them. I have dropped the bike only once when a sudden blackhole in the surface of the earth gave me no place to put my foot at a stop. I was on a steeply cambered road and the bike went well beyond 90 degrees. There are minor scuffs on the bottom of one slider and a pannier protector. I am pretty certain that had the bike been unprotected I would have broken the stay in the nacelle, lost a mirror, badly damaged a pannier and been stranded in a small town in southwest Kansas.

I've noticed that often when a guy drops a bike he has the overwhelming urge to immediately lift the bike. It is as if he gets the bike up quickly enough the drop never happen. I observed two guys that injured themselves in this poorly thoughtout response and in one case succeeded in dropping the bike on its other side. Women, in my experience, are more likely to stare at the bike for awhile and then look around for potential help... they are also much more likely to get help as well. Smart.

I've noticed that often when a guy drops a bike he has the overwhelming urge to immediately lift the bike. It is as if he gets the bike up quickly enough the drop never happen. I observed two guys that injured themselves in this poorly thoughtout response and in one case succeeded in dropping the bike on its other side. Women, in my experience, are more likely to stare at the bike for awhile and then look around for potential help... they are also much more likely to get help as well. Smart.

I have also only dropped mine once. while parked on perfectly flat, level pavement. Came out of the grocery store, swung my leg over and picked the bike up off the side stand. It just kept going. I was able to guide it down gently, so there was no real damage, but there was certainly no stopping it. The procedure was to look around to see how many witnesses there were, then to pick it up and carry on. No fluids leaked, so I didn't worry about them. Hopefully next time will not be any worse!