Rear Shock Failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcumpian

Reaction score
So, on the last day of EOM, I blew a seal on the rear shock. By mid-Sunday morning on my way back to Virginia, I basically had a spring for a shock, and no damping oil. The ride was "boingy boingy" all the way home. Any thoughts as to whether there could have been any damage to the forks, shaft drive or anywhere else I should check while riding it home like that?

Still waiting for the arrival of my new shock and, of course, the weather has been beautiful. It's driving me crazy, lol.

Regards,

Dan

There are limits on the shock travel, and the lack of a shock tends to limit performance. It's unlikely anything else was harmed, however if you haven't done maintenance or rebuilding of the front forks, it may be time depending on miles. Even if you just change the oil and consider a spring upgrade, the front forks will do much better, although the 2018 has pretty good springs. What surprises me, is you are on a 2018, and it seems the rear shock failure is very premature. The Gen 4 A shocks are pretty robust. I would just replace it, and look for warranty coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are limits on the shock travel, and the lack of a shock tends to limit performance. It's unlikely anything else was harmed, however if you haven't done maintenance or rebuilding of the front forks, it may be time depending on miles. Even if you just change the oil and consider a spring upgrade, the front forks will do much better, although the 2018 has pretty good springs. What surprises me, is you are on a 2018, and it seems the rear shock failure is very premature. The Gen 4 A shocks are pretty robust. I would just replace it, and look for warranty coverage.
I agree that it was premature, but it happened. I've ordered a Penske 8983 because a) I want a more robust spring, and B) I want the ability to adjust compression and rebound separately. Once I swap the shock, I'll probably see if I can get another OEM shock under warranty as a backup. I wasn't planning on upgrading the shock for a few years, but here I am, lol.

I do plan on upgrading the forks, but I've been pretty happy with the front end. If everything dials in well, I'll put the front forks off until 20K or so.

Thanks for the feedback!

Dan

I have enjoyed the 8983 for many years and it's been through a couple rebuilds. Still it seems you have very low miles and suspension failures should be covered. I don't think I did my Gen I shock and forks until 30K miles, and the Gen 4 is much more robust.

My gen 1 shock failed at 16,000 miles while under warranty and it was replaced. Took a month or so for it to show up, but I had gotten a Wilburs during the group buy and replaced it the next day.

Has to be a manufacturing issue. Ive already put mine through some stuff that could be considered abuse.Hopefully Yamaha looks after things for you and thanks for posting just in case it becomes an issue.

Canadian FJR

My '14 (with the ES suspension) had lost all its rear suspension oil when I part-exchanged it after 4 years, 18000 miles. In all honesty, I hadn't realised, but then for the last six weeks it was used only for very local shopping trips. No idea why it failed.

Dealer fixed it before re-selling, and persuaded Yamaha to pick up the tab.

(Click on image for larger view)

Bike in bits at dealers

I'm right under 8,000 miles. Admittedly, I'm bigger than average and I had the shock set for a firm setup. But the spring is too light for me + luggage, so I'm sure the shock just couldn't handle it. I ride fairly hard on country roads that are not smooth-as-glass, so while it might be a manufacturing defect, it may also just not be enough shock for me.

Just found out the new Penske will be here on Monday so I'm going to take the old one out now. I'll get in touch with the dealer later and see if I can get an OEM replacement. I can always sell it on eBay to help offset the cost of the Penske.

Dan

Take it to dealer first and have them start the warranty process. Present bike as-is. If you replace shock first it will be a issue. Work with them after that they will still get paid either way and you get a new shock.