Coast To Coast - 29 Hours 23 Minutes Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fascinating read. My son, who was perusing your story, commented that he thought I had told him {when contemplating an Iron Butt ride myself} in order to qualify you could not average a speed that puts your average speed over the speed limit. Just curious.

Fascinating read. My son, who was perusing your story, commented that he thought I had told him {when contemplating an Iron Butt ride myself} in order to qualify you could not average a speed that puts your average speed over the speed limit. Just curious.
I am only submitting for a BBG ride in 24 hours not a coast to coast ride.

I did the coast to coast ride just for fun to see how fast I could do it. I don't know much about the IBA requirements as I usually just do rides and submit the ones I like.

I do not submit all of my rides for IBA certificates and in the ride report I mention that I am only going to submit for a BBG ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg...a ride to be proud of! Pretty incredible to imagine riding coast to coast in just over a day.

I've thought many times "I'll just eat off the bike for a day". You know, Clif bars and trail mix and whatnot. Then the lure of a hot hamburger messes up the whole plan ; ) It can really pick up the spirits though.

Again, great job!

Philter- I don't speak for the IBA, but I have several rides certified, some that were done at a brisk but responsible pace. The IBA does not condone or put up with reckless behavior, but it requires participants to understand that motorcycle riding is a risky pursuit. A ride will not normally be DQ'd due to a calculation of speed, due (I assume) to the myriad variances in speed limits, variances in speed calculation, particularly over distance. They look carefully to makes sure that their rules are met (receipts, essential information on those receipts, trip log, gps/spot hacks (entirely optional), witnesses (for some rides), max miles between refuels, etc. Their reviewers are painstaking in their attention to detail, and are terrific to deal with. So no, as long as all other rules are met, IBA leaves policing to the police, and verification to the IBA verification teams. Do stupid stuff and brag about it, and you'll find your cert pulled with a quickness. Mr. Kneebone is fiercely protective of the reputation of the IBA, and of the LD riding community.

Philter- I don't speak for the IBA, but I have several rides certified, some that were done at a brisk but responsible pace. The IBA does not condone or put up with reckless behavior, but it requires participants to understand that motorcycle riding is a risky pursuit. A ride will not normally be DQ'd due to a calculation of speed, due (I assume) to the myriad variances in speed limits, variances in speed calculation, particularly over distance. They look carefully to makes sure that their rules are met (receipts, essential information on those receipts, trip log, gps/spot hacks (entirely optional), witnesses (for some rides), max miles between refuels, etc. Their reviewers are painstaking in their attention to detail, and are terrific to deal with. So no, as long as all other rules are met, IBA leaves policing to the police, and verification to the IBA verification teams. Do stupid stuff and brag about it, and you'll find your cert pulled with a quickness. Mr. Kneebone is fiercely protective of the reputation of the IBA, and of the LD riding community.
Yea Travel_Man was rolling, about 81 mph nonstop, take gas stops and such and he was moving at a good clip to make it in that time, but then you know he's an old hand who's been doing this many years just by looking at his preparation and then look at his IBA # 382.

I finally got around to servicing and washing my Gold Wing after my coast to coast ride and I noticed in my tankbag my coast to coast ride route timings, I like to make ride waypoints ( gas stops and state borders ) for all of my big rides and use that to track my progress. I realized that I had my ride ending at 12:45 PM based on my Basecamp routing and according to my Spotwalla tracking that is exactly the time I finished the ride. See the attached photos. I rode 2,370 miles and finished exactly when I said I would. It is amazing at how close I can get to planning out these types of rides.

RideTimings.jpg

CoastToCoast-SpotwallaTime.JPG

Across an entire country and dealing with anything that happens out on the road - still able to arrive at a time determined on the other side. Incredible

The IBA has rescinded certs they have issued under certain circumstances. One was for a SS1K that a guy for a bike rag then wrote about; regaling his readers with hours-long stops in Las Vegas for gambling, wheelying up on-ramps to highways, and excess speeds documented to make up for down time.

Last edited by a moderator:
When John Ryan received his IBA certificate for riding from Deadhorse to Key West in 86+ hours, it was the same certificate that he would have received if he had done it in nine days. No mention of time or speed. The IBA does not endorse, nor wishes to be perceived as endorsing, speeding or reckless riding.

If you ask to have a SS1000 route certified, then one of the factors considered is can it be accomplished while not violating the speed limit. This was scrutinized closely when John did a SS1000 without leaving Manhattan.

That was specifically what I was referencing in my comment do stupid stuff and brag about it.... :) <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bounce" data-cid="1408248" data-time="1541080170"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bill Lumberg" data-cid="1407492" data-time="1539800056"><p>Philter- I don't speak for the IBA, but I have several rides certified, some that were done at a brisk but responsible pace. The IBA does not condone or put up with reckless behavior, but it requires participants to understand that motorcycle riding is a risky pursuit. A ride will not normally be DQ'd due to a calculation of speed, due (I assume) to the myriad variances in speed limits, variances in speed calculation, particularly over distance. They look carefully to makes sure that their rules are met (receipts, essential information on those receipts, trip log, gps/spot hacks (entirely optional), witnesses (for some rides), max miles between refuels, etc. Their reviewers are painstaking in their attention to detail, and are terrific to deal with. So no, as long as all other rules are met, IBA leaves policing to the police, and verification to the IBA verification teams. Do stupid stuff and brag about it, and you'll find your cert pulled with a quickness. Mr. Kneebone is fiercely protective of the reputation of the IBA, and of the LD riding community. </p></blockquote>

<br />

The IBA has rescinded certs they have issued under certain circumstances. One was for a SS1K that a guy for a bike rag then wrote about; regaling his readers with hours-long stops in Las Vegas for gambling, wheelying up on-ramps to highways, and excess speeds documented to make up for down time.</p></blockquote>