Lessons From Timmy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
I’ve needed a ride for a while. Not the typical weekend jaunt where I troll the same roads with the same scenery and the same ole same ole. No…. I needed a real ride. One that leads me to a destination. One that gives me an opportunity to just wing it. Free style it through this wonderful countryside looking for everything and nothing at the same time. One that offers me times where I don’t know where I’m going, and I don’t care because I’ve got all day and quite frankly, it really doesn’t matter cause the whole damm thing is great. One that involves my friends and our common love of the motorcycle. One that offers me time to think about where I’ve been, where I am, and where I want to go.

The Southern FJR Owners (SFO) 2018 gathering was just that ride. I stretched it into 5 days and about 1750 miles, covering much of southern and central Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. I rode with others and I rode by myself. And I enjoyed every single mile of it.

About 30 of us gathered at the weekend camp of Jana and Turk in Jemison, Alabama for the 3rd year in a row. Our hosts are the epitome of what the standard for southern hospitality is. For 4 days, those two and their family served, slaved, and fretted over us in a manner that can only be described as “amazing”. People overly use that word these days but trust me, I know EXACTLY what it means and it fits perfectly here. I left Sunday only with feelings of humble thankfulness and utter amazement at what just happened.

We ate like royalty (Dilly Dilly!!) the entire weekend, and we drank like the bikers we are. We made new friends, and old friends reunited and picked up just where they left off. We laughed until it hurt. For the guest, it was absolutely effortless. The whole thing was so much fun.

It’s been a long and hot summer. For Pants, my summer started about April 15th and now early in October, it seems not to be over yet. The SFO weekend weather started out rainy, and when it didn’t rain, it was sticky hot. I chose the mesh riding gear with the Frogg Toggs and water proof gloves in the top case, and it worked out just great.

My 2018 SFO adventure brought me to a new friend by the name of Timmy, and a reminder of some very valuable lessons. I hope you enjoy the pics.

Day 1: Lafayette, LA to Jemison, AL, approximately 500 miles.
Ride Route: https://goo.gl/maps/QAmRexvbqEE2

I packed the bike the night before and it looks different without the camping bag.

SFO2018_1-X3.jpg

Julie has been staying with Andrew (aka Redfish) for a few days and they are going to SFO too. Andrew and Pops are pulling the camper with the dual sports, so I asked Julie if she wanted to ride with me and I was pleased to hear that she did.

So I leave Lafayette about 6:00 am in the dark with light rain all around me. By the time I get to our meeting place 80 miles later, the skies are looking better.

SFO2018_2-X3.jpg

That Louisiana sticker on Julie’s top box looks shiny new!!

SFO2018_3-X3.jpg

After a short break, we are on our way.

SFO2018_4-X3.jpg

Looking quite well, madam!

SFO2018_5-X3.jpg

I promised Julie I would show here the best highway curves in Mississippi, and she enjoyed all 12 of them!!

SFO2018_7-X3.jpg

We stopped in Union, MS for lunch. Not much happening on this Thursday.

SFO2018_8-X3.jpg

Not much curb appeal, but it was full of parked cars, and clearly, this is the place to eat.

SFO2018_9-X3.jpg

Pretty good burgers.

SFO2018_10-X3.jpg

Then it’s back on the road and heading northeast!

SFO2018_11-X3.jpg

We cross the Alabama border at Gainsville, and a neat looking old building catches my eye, so I stopped rather abruptly. I approached this gentlemen and asked: “Excuse me sir, would you mind taking a picture?”

SFO2018_12-X3.jpg

“I think you misunderstood me – I meant take a picture of my friend and I”

SFO2018_13-X3.jpg

Ice cream time!!!

SFO2018_14-X3.jpg

Julie has figured out the route, so I gladly moved to the rear. I just wish I would have checked the weather radar first. We got dumped on pretty good, but as we rode through the Tenn-Tom floodway, I was able to dry off in the wind.

SFO2018_15-X3.jpg

This is the way to travel on a motorcycle. Having fun with the roads all to our self. It’s all about the journey. The paradise is right before your very eyes, if you are brave enough to look for it.

SFO2018_16-X3.jpg

SFO2018_17-X3.jpg

SFO2018_18-X3.jpg

Close to our destination, Julie broke off toward the hotel in Clanton where many of us are lodging. I rode solo to the Peach Queen Campground in Jemison, where I was greeted warmly by Pops and Andrew.

SFO2018_20-X3.jpg

This is one nice camper. I’m in tall cotton here, man.

SFO2018_19-X3.jpg

Andrew let me use this fancy pants boot and glove dryer thingie.

SFO2018_21-X3.jpg

We all met at SFO ground zero for delicious chili and fellowship.

SFO2018_23-X3.jpg

SFO2018_24-X3.jpg

Note that tiered dessert table to the left. Oh yeah, I’m gonna hit that like a hobo on a dumpster dive.

SFO2018_22-X3.jpg

After dinner, the conversation continued. If Andrew ever gets arrested, he has one less thing to worry about. He’s got the mug shot part perfected.

SFO2018_25-X3.jpg

We shut it down relatively early. It’s going to be a long weekend and it’s best to pace yourself at SFO. A great start to a great trip.

Day 2: Approximately 250 miles running through northeast Alabama.

Andrew set me up on an air mattress in the toy hauler section of the rolling house. I had air conditioning, tons of room, and even a TV. I slept like a baby under my sleeping bag.

I woke up early and yet Andrew and Pops were already up and there’s nothing like having the aroma of fresh coffee whiffing up to your nasal passages first thing in the morning.

True to his nature, Andrew has thought of everything. He’s even arranged covered parking for my filthy red pig.

SFO2018_135-X3.jpg

After coffee, it’s time to cook breakfast. My role is to stay out of the way and relax.

SFO2018_26-X3.jpg

I could get used to this.

SFO2018_27-X3.jpg

The Redfishes are going dual sporting today, and while the FJR is many things, it is not a trail bike. So I’ll just run up the interstate a few miles and meet the others.

SFO2018_28-X3.jpg

Before joining the others at Shoney’s, I stopped at the gas station next door to fill up the bike. The credit card reader was inoperable, so I walked into the store to pay. There, I met Timmy, a special needs (Downs Syndrome) adult a little younger than me. Timmy was with his Dad and he had a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup in one hand, and a Butterfinger Candy Bar in the other. I gestured over for them to go before me, but the father insisted that I check out first.

(Pants) “You got some special treats there. I like this one a lot.”

(Timmy) “This one is my favorite.” (Reese’s P/B Cup)

(Store Clerk) “Timmy buys the same candy bars every day here at this time.”

(Pants) “Ma’am – please put Timmy’s treats on my card.”

(Dad) “Sir, you don’t have to do that.”

(Pants) “I insist. It’s for my new friend here.”

(Timmy) “Thank you sir and God Bless! I want to give you a hug.”

(Pants) “Sure, Timmy. Come over here.”

I got my receipt and gave my new friends a “thumbs up”.

(Pants) “Enjoy your treats, Timmy. I love you, man!”

I drank a glass of ice water while the others ate breakfast and thereafter, we play the usual game of herding the cats. It’s unavoidable, really. Everyone here is on vacation and everyone has their own pace, both on the road and off. This is going to be a special ride and everyone wants to make sure things are just right.

SFO2018_30-X3.jpg

Of course Turk, our fearless but gracious host and ride leader, knows this as well.

SFO2018_29-X3.jpg

I consider Turk to be one of my very best friends, even though I only see him once or twice a year. He’s just such a cool dude and it is effortless to be with him. I feel guilty for taking advantage of his hospitality and yet, he keeps offering it year after year and so I suppose a man of his intelligence must know what he is doing. I hope so, anyway.

The whole gang breaks into about 3 groups and our group heads out about 7 riders strong.

SFO2018_32-X3.jpg

My Australian brother Brian seems to be enjoying himself this morning.

SFO2018_31-X3.jpg

Come to think of it, we all are having good fun.

SFO2018_33-X3.jpg

Still heading generally northeast, we stop in Heflin for lunch. Food here is good.

SFO2018_34-X3.jpg

Kind of a motley crew, don’t ya think?

SFO2018_35-X3.jpg

After lunch, in traditional mode, we decide to rip it down Hwy 281, also known as the Talladega Scenic Byway. This is arguably the best motorcycling road in Alabama, with silky smooth pavement and nice curves mixed in with generous passing zones to dispatch slower traffic and no cross roads to worry about. Bobby took the lead and I enjoyed following him.

SFO2018_36-X3.jpg

Here comes Turk in tow.

SFO2018_37-X3.jpg

We stopped at the entrance to Cheaha State Park to let the adrenaline wane a little. The Redfishes popped out of the woods to join us.

SFO2018_38-X3.jpg

Hey Mike, do ya wanna be in the ride report?

SFO2018_39-X3.jpg

Okie dokie, then.

Breathe deeply and slowly, boys!!! We’re living the dream!!

SFO2018_40-X3.jpg

SFO2018_41-X3.jpg

I was having great fun but in spite of that, my mind was wandering a little. Of all things, I was thinking about Timmy. In our short conversation this morning, Timmy and his father impressed upon me a reminder of some very important lessons. Lessons that admittedly, I forget all too often. Lessons that should be lived with strong conviction.

Lessons from Timmy.

The first of these is Humility. How important is it for me to be humble. Timmy has no pre-disposition or pre-conceived notions regarding his place in society, and so he shouldnt and neither should I. We are all human beings and each of us has something to tell and something worth knowing. Each of us is just as important as the other. Each of us has meaning and purpose.

And Timmys purpose, at least this afternoon, was so important. Much more so than I think he realized. Timmys purpose was to remind me that Im not as big as I think I am and that in matters that really matter, the whole is far greater than the sum of its parts.

Turk led us through the Alabama back country and we stopped at this crossroads village to poke around. Jim just bought this V-strom 1000 and he rides it like a banshee!

SFO2018_42-X3.jpg

Pretty cool place in the middle of no where.

SFO2018_42-X3.jpg

SFO2018_44-X3.jpg

You just cant find these places in the truck. I know that sound stupid, but its true. In the truck, Im not even looking for those places. Im only looking for my destination, and the blinders I am wearing prevent me from seeing anything else.

I get back to the camper and wash the two days of road off my arse. Then the Redfishes and I mosied over to Turks place for some vittles.

I brought my happy juice for some sipping tonight.

SFO2018_45-X3.jpg

Turk made some brief announcements and we all raised a drink to Petey and Don, our friends that have recently passed.

SFO2018_47-X3.jpg

Hey yall, how about a group picture?

SFO2018_48-X3.jpg

Thanks. (gulp).

Anybody hungry? I sure hope so.

SFO2018_46-X3.jpg

Well Mike, at least Wanda doesnt mind being in the ride report.

SFO2018_49-X3.jpg

My buddy and fellow Louisianan Nate is recovering from a fall and couldnt ride. But he and his lovely wife Lauren made the drive up in their truck and I was thrilled to see them. Julie was too!

SFO2018_50-X3.jpg

Craig has his work cut out for him on dessert!

SFO2018_51-X3.jpg

It goes well with a little nip of the shampoo!

SFO2018_52-X3.jpg

We hung out and talked a while like the old friends we are. Pops and Andrew had 200 miles on the dirt today, and they quietly snuck out to the camper to get some much deserved rest. Some of the hotellers taxied me back to the camper later on. Another great day of fellowship and riding in the books.

Day 3: More Alabama Yee Ha! Approximately 275 miles

Once again, I slept like a rock on Andrews air mattress. After coffee, breakfast, and good conversation with the Redfishes, I geared up and rode to Shoneys to meet the others.

I filled up at the gas station and was disappointed not to see Timmy, as the same clerk from yesterday informed me that they hadnt come by yet. I gave her $3.00 and told her to use it to pay for Timmys candy and to tell him that Pants loves him.

After the others have breakfast, then its more herding cats.

SFO2018_53-X3.jpg

I took an opportunity to sniff around.

SFO2018_55-X3.jpg

Craig has donated over 50 gallons of blood in his lifetime. Yeah, you read that right, .. GALLONS!!!

SFO2018_54-X3.jpg

His tank sticker aint too shabby either. Right on, man!!

SFO2018_56-X3.jpg

Today we are about 10 bikes, but this group knows how to ride. Right now, Ive got Gary in tow with his BMW 1000RR sport bike.

SFO2018_57-X3.jpg

All smiles under the helmets, trust me.

SFO2018_58-X3.jpg

This is what I believe the locals call “The Dam Dam”. I think the correct term for its location is the Lower Martin Dam.

SFO2018_59-X3.jpg

SFO2018_60-X3.jpg

Lauren and Nate agreed to meet us in Lineville for lunch.

SFO2018_61-X3.jpg

SFO2018_63-X3.jpg

SFO2018_64-X3.jpg

Good BBQ salad.

SFO2018_62-X3.jpg

After lunch, it’s starting to get a little sticky, so some of us decided to take a short ride to a waterfall nearby. Turk lead the rest of the group on some riding.

It’s a short walk to High Falls. Considering the rain they’ve had, not too much water running today.

SFO2018_65-X3.jpg

None the less, it was just too inviting for me to pass up.

SFO2018_67-X3.jpg

SFO2018_66-X3.jpg

We sat around the pool and cooled off. I’m a human selfie stick!!

SFO2018_68-X3.jpg

Glad you are with us, Nate!!

SFO2018_69-X3.jpg

Fencer looks like a GIANT coming at me!!

SFO2018_70-X3.jpg

Everyone is having fun this afternoon.

SFO2018_71-X3.jpg

Awww… that’s cute…..

SFO2018_72-X3.jpg

We rode up to the top of Cheaha and there Uncle Hud has to break off for the house in Atlanta. So long but not goodbye, my friend. I will see you soon.

SFO2018_73-X3.jpg

We are in Fencer’s backyard, so he will take the point for twisty roads toward Jemison. Don’s 2007 FJR in Cherry Red is very nice.

SFO2018_74-X3.jpg

Back across the damm Dam….

SFO2018_75-X3.jpg

SFO2018_76-X3.jpg

Once again, my mind starts wandering about Timmy. I hope he is well and having a good day, whatever it may bring for him. Today I’m thinking about Perspective and Context. Timmy’s father has real problems. He’s my dad’s age and at a point in his life where he should be thinking about rest, relaxation, and the future of his own care. But a son like Timmy is a lifelong commitment without choice, and one look in his face yesterday revealed the brevity of this. Every day brings unimaginable challenges and I can’t help but realize that to some extent, this man will never have real peace. How ridiculous and petty am I to presume I have any problems in this world? When my problems are put into perspective and context, surely they are not REALLY problems at all.

For Pants, when on the bike and in the right state of mind, all things are brought to me in the proper perspective.

SFO2018_77-X3.jpg

SFO2018_78-X3.jpg

Well done, Fencer. Good ride this afternoon.

SFO2018_79-X3.jpg

I’ve got the system down now. Meet the Redfish back at the camper for a cold beer and storytelling, wash behind my ears real well, load up a shampoo bottle in each holster, pop on over to Turk and Jana’s, and get ready to eat like a king.

SFO2018_80-X3.jpg

Turk’s buddy has been burning meat all day for us. Holy cow, what a spread!!

SFO2018_81-X3.jpg

Meg and Pat aren’t going hungry this evening.

SFO2018_82-X3.jpg

Mmmmmm – meat is good…..

SFO2018_83-X3.jpg

I ate approximately 1/5th of a country farm. My belly felt like a swallowed a bowling ball. What a meal!

After dinner, entertainment was provided by Alan Barstow (sp????) on the back deck. Dude’s got mad skills and it’s hard to imagine this guy would take out a Saturday night to play for us.

SFO2018_84-X3.jpg

The music was absolutely fantastic. I was jamming pretty good, and feeling pretty good too.

Rob let me try his fancy Japanese spirit and I like it.

SFO2018_136-X3.jpg

Ole Max was being a good sport with all of this noise and shenanigans.

SFO2018_85-X3.jpg

Again, the Redfishes were a bit tired after playing in the dirt, so they retired early to the camper for sleep. We passed around the happy juice a while and I got a ride back to the camper with Tyler, Julie, and Brian.

Day 4: Jemison, AL to Yazoo City, MS. Approximately 350 miles.

Ride Route: https://goo.gl/maps/6ZrkFaADY732

I woke up a little dehydrated, but considering last night’s festivities, no worse for the wear. Andrew fixed us breakfast again and it was good to get some protein in my stomach.

The weather is holding nicely. It’s still a bit warm, but dry and I don’t have to be back at work until Tuesday, so I’m going to wander a bit as I head home.

I help the Redifish load up the dual sports and finish packing my bike. I bid them hearty thanks for everything and pointed the bike west. I need to get through Tuscaloosa, so I jump on US Hwy 82, and find the road completely desolate.

SFO2018_86-X3.jpg

This morning, again my thoughts turn to Timmy, and remembering his lessons. Today, Timmy reminds me of the power of thankfulness. Feelings of gratitude warm my heart as I think about how special Jana and Turk made things for all of us this weekend. I’m thankful for Andrew and Pops, and the time we spent together this weekend in their camper – especially our breakfast meals together. I’m thankful for all of my blessings. I’m able to travel and enjoy my motorcycle. I’m winding up my career at such a young age, and am looking forward to many years of retirement. I’ve got two great adult children, who are busy with their lives and enjoying the fruits of their youth.

But most of all, I’m thankful for my wife. Tammy understands and accepts me for who I am. She supports me in everything I do, including the things she is not so crazy about. I hope we have another 32 years together or even longer. I know she is home now and I hope she is happy. I look forward to seeing her when I get home, and sharing with her yet again stories of my adventure.

In western Alabama, the cotton plants are still green, but the fibrous pods are coming along.

SFO2018_87-X3.jpg

SFO2018_88-X3.jpg

Ms. Jana’s custom “Boo Snacks” were mighty tasty.

SFO2018_89-X3.jpg

Close to the Mississippi border, I stopped here for some lunch supplies.

SFO2018_90-X3.jpg

This morning, I was thinking about riding to Arkansas. But as the morning wore on, I figured I would just wander around Mississippi a while. South of Tupelo, I hopped on the Natchez Trace Parkway, set the cruise back to about 55, and kicked back for some Sunday easy riding.

SFO2018_91-X3.jpg

Along the way, if something caught my interest, I stopped to read and learn.

SFO2018_92-X3.jpg

I pulled off the Trace and road a few miles to Davis Lake for lunch.

SFO2018_93-X3.jpg

I enjoyed my simple meal on the lake, all by myself.

SFO2018_94-X3.jpg

After lunch, on the way back to the trace, I stopped here.

SFO2018_95-X3.jpg

I walked around and learned about the Mississippian indigenous people.

SFO2018_96-X3.jpg

Then it was back on the Trace, riding and learning….

SFO2018_98-X3.jpg

SFO2018_97-X3.jpg

In the town of French Camp, I stopped to walk around this interpretative area.

SFO2018_99-X3.jpg

SFO2018_100-X3.jpg

SFO2018_101-X3.jpg

It’s a good day to be wandering.

SFO2018_102-X3.jpg

I was kind of thinking about making it to Vicksburg for the evening, but about 5:00, a couple of deer crossed the highway a 100 yards ahead of me and I figured that Yazoo City would be far enough. The Days Inn there is affordable and clean.

SFO2018_103-X3.jpg

I popped into the liquor store looking for a couple of good cold beers. I guess this one will have to do.

SFO2018_104-X3.jpg

The gal at the motel counter suggested this place for dinner.

SFO2018_105-X3.jpg

The fajitas were really good.

SFO2018_106-X3.jpg

Day 5: Yazoo City, MS to Lafayette, LA, approximately 350 miles

Ride Route: Part 1: https://goo.gl/maps/83sC4kx6CzG2
Part 2: https://goo.gl/maps/DiwuuF9sdBC2
I slept good in the hotel, and the FCB wasn’t half bad either. I had a couple of fresh baked biscuits with some grape jelly.

I pack the bike early and hit the road about 7 am, just after sunrise this time of year. I backtracked from yesterday to ride Hwy 433, which is one of Mississippi’s finest.

SFO2018_107-X3.jpg

All the bovine ladies in the adjacent field are also up early having breakfast.

SFO2018_109-X3.jpg

Hwy 433 is also one of the designated Mississippi Blues Trails. When the mood suited me, I stopped to read the sign and learn something. Knowing where I was, I popped in a nice selection of BB King, Muddy Waters, and some Stevie Ray Vaughan for this morning’s ride, and it was just great.

SFO2018_108-X3.jpg

SFO2018_110-X3.jpg

This ole boy is fishing an oxbow lake from the Yazoo River this morning.

SFO2018_111-X3.jpg

In Vicksburg, I turned south on the Halls Ferry Road with this place in mind.

SFO2018_112-X3.jpg

This unit does extensive research on the Mississippi River. Years ago, someone told me that they have a nice visitor’s center here, and I was glad that I remembered about it.

SFO2018_113-X3.jpg

Unfortunately, the river models and the majority of the visitor’s center have since closed down. I did walk around the lobby area and learn about a research project that was conducted here to test tires for the lunar vehicle that was used during the Apollo days. The wheel in the center of the display was actually chosen and used on the moon.

SFO2018_114-X3.jpg

Then it was continue south on the Fisher Ferry Road heading toward Port Gibson. I know these back roads well, they are great riding, and on this Monday morning, I’ve got them all to myself.

SFO2018_116-X3.jpg

Lots of Civil War History happened here.

SFO2018_115-X3.jpg

North of Port Gibson, I detoured a few miles to this State Park.

SFO2018_117-X3.jpg

I paid the modest entry fee and walked through the museum to learn more.

The Battle of Grand Gulf was fought in the Civil War, and was instrumental in General Grant’s plan to take Vicksburg from the south and end the fighting.

SFO2018_118-X3.jpg

I thought this collection of local arrow heads was arranged beautifully.

SFO2018_119-X3.jpg

Outside of the museum is a drive through park with restored buildings to look at and wander among.

SFO2018_120-X3.jpg

SFO2018_121-X3.jpg

The workmanship in these carriages is astounding. No nails, no screws wooden dowel construction.

SFO2018_122-X3.jpg

I like the framing on this picture.

SFO2018_123-X3.jpg

SFO2018_124-X3.jpg

The cemetery is kind of spooky. My wife would enjoy this.

SFO2018_125-X3.jpg

As I left the park and rode through the back water country roads, once again, my mind starts wandering. Today, I am reminded of the important need for civility and respect for our fellow mankind. To think that not so long ago, our countrymen fought each other on our own land reminds me that I have to strive to find common ground with those that differ from myself. Listen before I speak. Give people the respect they deserve and dont be so quick to judge. If I must, agree to disagree but above all, be civil and respectful in my disagreement. Like my friend Timmy, be the bigger man and be better off for it.

Ive kind of developed a thing for Courthouse Architecture. The Claiborne County Courthouse in Port Gibson, MS is very nice.

SFO2018_126-X3.jpg

I rolled into Natchez about lunch time and went straight to one of my favorite places.

SFO2018_127-X3.jpg

The view over Old Man River is really nice.

SFO2018_128-X3.jpg

Something to shoot for….

SFO2018_129-X3.jpg

Altered State German Style Amber Ale, Natchez Brewing Company – absolutely delicious.

SFO2018_130-X3.jpg

The Kicking Chicken sandwich is awesome!

SFO2018_131-X3.jpg

Wish I could, but I’m riding and one is going to be enough.

SFO2018_132-X3.jpg

After lunch, I crossed the river into Louisiana.

SFO2018_133-X3.jpg

Then I took the levee road south toward Simmsport. When one is ready to get home, and he is on familiar roads that are so wide open he can see forever, with ZERO traffic to contend with, this is how it is done.

SFO2018_134-X3.jpg

That was the last picture I took. North of Melville, the skies were looking really bad, so I stopped to put on the rain gear and then detoured a bit west to ride around the storm. It worked, as I only got a few drops from the edge of it. I hoped on I-49 in Lebeau, and slabbed it the last 30 miles to the barn.

I beat my wife home from work by about an hour, which gave me just enough time to put a few things away and take a shower. As is customary upon my return from a bike trip, we went out on a date and I shared my adventure with her over dinner.

So another Pants adventure comes to a close. I had time with others and time by myself. I rode to new places, and re-rode some familiar places. I ate good food, heard great music, and had plenty of laughs.

And thanks to a man named Timmy, I re-learned some valuable lessons.

Stay thirsty, my friends……

Phew: that was a read and a half. Thanks for posting. Looks like ya had a blast. I got a kick outa those moon buggy tires. Wonder how they'd look on the FJR??

And another lesson in "How to write a Ride Report" - your High School English teacher would be proup 'Pants!

Missed being at SFO this year, sometimes life gets in the way. JSNS

I liked this RR, Sir Pants. Introspection, Reflections, Understanding, Compassion and Comprehension. Well done!

I'm thankful for you as well my friend! Excellent RR as always!

Thank you for your overly kind and heartfelt comments bud, it's always a pleasure to host you and the rest of this bunch of hooligans.

BTW - let's make that once or twice a year a thing of the past. We need to plan to ride together more often. I was just thinking about that a couple of days ago and plan to shoot you a text on the topic. Chat soon!

Thank you all for reading my ride report, and your kind replies.

My back is not fully healed and I'm concerned that there is something else going on. But the treatments and stretching/exercises they have me doing do help, so for now, it has to be good enough. Funny thing - the first day it was spasming some. But the more I rode, the better it got. By the 5th day, I was in pretty good shape.

Maybe I just need to ride more and stress less. Now, where have I heard that before?

Pants - when I was having Back trouble several years ago I had my Physical Therapist look at me sitting on my FJR. She told me there was little better therapy than me riding that bike using my core to keep me in the right place while riding. I followed her instructions - put 40,000 more miles on in two years along with 20,000 on the KLR. Back is better. JSNS