A good deal on tires?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJ4863

Reaction score
OK.. so my google-fu is really sucky these days. I see guys posting on the great deals they get on tires. I'm due for a new rear, will probably do the front too. so the question is,

Who has a great deal on tires for the beloved FJR? (dear god, not the shinkos.. I can't/won't do them again)

I can never seem to find a good deal when I look.

PJ

Check out Dunlop Roadsmart III. Nice tires and they have had decent prices with rebates. Check to see if the rebate deal is still running.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with RossKean; I've used a couple sets (both front & rear) of the Dunlop RoadSmart 3s, and they are good, nicely priced.

As alternatives to our usual go-to tires on this forum, also consider Avon 3D-XM. I've used a few of those in the past, and for the price, am pretty impressed.

I try to hold out until December before shopping around, sale prices start to show up around then. In Jan & Feb choice tires can be dirt cheap, I'll buy an extra of each for the year.

I'd hold out if I could. I have a rally in 1st weekend in Nov, and the rear won't make it for sure. RSIII I looked at, not too bad a deal. The problem is, I do like the PR4s and I may keep one on the rear. I took Ray's advice for a metzler z6 on the front (which is a good deal) and I'll keep that one. Great mileage and its worked very well for me. In the midst of buying house, so I have to keep an eye on the cash flow. :) And apparently, I should ask for tires for christmas

PJ4863 posted: I'd hold out if I could. I have a rally in 1st weekend in Nov.....
A rally in November? Share some details, please? Perhaps start a new thread in Ride Reports or LD Riding?

Don't know of a rally in these parts this late in the year, and I'd appreciate the education.

2018 Adventure Ribfest, 10/18/2018 to 10/21/2018, Centerville, Tennessee

16th Gumbo Rally - Swamp Scooters Motorcycle Club, 11/9/2018 to 11/11/2018, Bayou Wilderness RV Resort, 600 N Wilderness Trail, Carencro, Louisiana 70520

Middle of the Map Rally 2018, 11/9/2018 to 11/11/2018, Bixby, Missouri

BMW Motorcycle Owners of Northeast Florida 36th Annual Winter Rally, 1/18/2019 to 1/20/2019, Camp Blanding, Joint Training Center, 5629 SR 16 West, Starke, Florida 32091

Well, we are already in NEPRT.

Florida digital rally. Outside of Orlando, 10 hrs. Shouldnt be bad! Registration I believe is still open

My 'tire research phase' is at its last stage. It's included the heavy spec versions of Michelin PR4, Bidgestone T-30, Metzeler Z8 and Z1, and two consecutive sets of Roadsmart 3s.

The Pirellis have always been too expensive to try. Tried the super-expensive PR4s only because they are the Forum's Gold Standard. Since I don't work tires that hard, I can't justify spending an extra $40 per set to get an extra 3% of performance standards.

Here's what I found on the web over the past two days. Ordered Avon Storm 3-Ds because I've never ridden on them and bigjohnsd says they're good. Unless the Avons blow me away, I'm going back to Bridgestone T-30 EVO GTs forever.

(Some websites didn't offer all research-eligible tires.)

31168573907_f6e8b54446_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have run a couple sets of the ContiMotions. Cheap but not as bad as I thought they might be. Seemed to hold the road OK but I didn't really push them. Suitable for local riding or short trips. They don't last very long. Some have mentioned issues with premature cupping and head shake but that wasn't my experience. Will probably stick with the Dunlop RS3 for now.