Tenere 700 World Raid

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth1

Reaction score
If they bring this bike to the US market, any takers?

https://world-raid.com/

Looks like an upgrade from my KLR

110617-tenere-700-prototype-action-001-d.jpg

This caught my attention when I first heard about it however right now there's nothing wrong with my under-utilized DL650 so a little hard to justify. But maybe in a few years, after the bugs are worked out, if I'm living in a different locale, if someone else takes the depreciation hit, if etc, etc.

Cool rig. If it can come in around 400 lbs it would be a winner. Like my KTM 1190r but would love it more if it were lighter. The 1090R didn’t lose much weight.

They've been fiddle'farten around with this bike for five years! They're overthinking this thing. They have 2 great common motors already. The twin 700 and the triple 900, just build a great dirt bike frame to go around them. 2 Dirt bike's using proven motors they all ready build for 2 model lines. Of course they would need to tune them appropriately, but how hard is that? Maybe they could get Ivan to help them since they can't seem to get it right anyway.
smile.png

By the time they bring this thing to market it's going to be too expensive and under whelming compared to the "orange bike" they're trying to emulate.

If it costs anywhere close to the Africa Twin it won't sell very many. I will bet it will not make it to the US. For most people the DR or the KLR is plenty of bike for getting muddy.
bike.gif

I've been drooling over this bike since I first heard about it. If it comes to market anything close to what is shown, I'm all over it. Would've been nice to have the earlier baby Tenere available in the US too. I'm hopeful, but the DL, DRz, and KLR will have to do for now.
smile.png

I've been drooling over this bike since I first heard about it. If it comes to market anything close to what is shown, I'm all over it. Would've been nice to have the earlier baby Tenere available in the US too. I'm hopeful, but the DL, DRz, and KLR will have to do for now.
smile.png
The chances of seeing this in the US is improving as the big singles disappear due to environmental regulations. I have to assume that twins will replace the big singles from all of the manufacturers.

I for one wont shed tears about the KLRs departure. Never understood why these had such a following except for durability. My two rides on one left me vastly underwhelmed.

It had better be near perfect after sending one all over the world to be ridden by notable riders this year. I believe it is in the last stage in Europe and all the feedback they're getting better be worth it!

I love riding my modded and farkled DR650 so much that my FJR has seen only 1000 miles in 3 years. My DR...16,000. The DR is almost my 'Goldilocks' bike for the type of riding I enjoy most these days, I'm thinking this bike will be THE ONE. My check is already waiting if it is.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Hudson" data-cid="1407400" data-time="1539716916"><p>

I for one wont shed tears about the KLRs departure. Never understood why these had such a following except for durability. My two rides on one left me vastly underwhelmed.</p></blockquote>

Any tool can be used as a hammer but sometimes

a hammer just wont do.

On Yamaha web page Tenere 700 is now listed as a 2021 model.

Gives you time to save your pennies.

Why? I know nothing about marketing but what are they hoping to gain by building this up for another year?
unknw.gif

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/yamaha-tenere-700-announced-adventure-bike-spotlight/
The new Ténéré 700 will be available in a Ceramic Ice color scheme during the second half of 2020 at Yamaha dealers across the U.S.A., and the MSRP will be announced at a later date.
The MSRP and apparently weight TBA. Hopefully 400 lb. wet and if the MSRP is in line with the MT 07 and 09 affordability...done deal.
The European sites show 451 wet weight.

It wont be 400 lbs. No way. A KLR runs 430 lbs and that is a single cylinder. The Tenere will not be a lightweight dual sport.

In looking through all of the specs on the Tenere 700 World Raid, I dont really see where it would be any improvement over the 2017 Africa Twin I recently bought. It may be a few pounds lighter, but not much. My AT was only 503 lbs wet (before loading it up with bags and crash protection) but has 300 cc more engine, a longer travel suspension, and a gallon bigger fuel tank. And its available right now for less than $11k. After all the buildup for this World Raid, one can only imagine how much they are going to want for one of them in 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wont be 400 lbs. No way. A KLR runs 430 lbs and that is a single cylinder. The Tenere will not be a lightweight dual sport.
In looking through all of the specs on the Tenere 700 World Raid, I dont really see where it would be any improvement over the 2017 Africa Twin I recently bought. It may be a few pounds lighter, but not much. My AT was only 503 lbs wet (before loading it up with bags and crash protection) but has 300 cc more engine, a longer travel suspension, and a gallon bigger fuel tank. And its available right now for less than $11k. After all the buildup for this World Raid, one can only imagine how much they are going to want for one of them in 2020.
Hard to imagine what any bike will cost in 2020. Just saw list on 2019 Versys 1000 is $18,000.

Last edited by a moderator: