doldrum rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Its that time of year, Iron Skillet in Sedro Wooley is rumored to be gone, found the FLYERS cafe at the Skagit county airport on airport road, opens at 1100hrs, no breakfast, nice atmosphere and it is in my winter rides area, 59er diner is well on its way back at Coles corner, alleged to be opening by end of October. The Farmhouse restaurant up by LaConner/Anacortes always seems crowded. Like the airport a lot better. Lucky to have our ability to ride most of the winter up North.

There used to be a good breakfast place on old Hwy 20 just west of My. Vernon and for lunch the fried oysters and blue burger at the Conway Tavern was one of my favorites.

Hi James.....yes the Iron Skillet is no more. She sold it to the city. They are turning it into a parking lot, or so I heard. I ate there the last week before it closed. Reba was kind of sad to see it go and so am I. I've been searching for a replacement too and settled on the Calico Cupboard in downtown Anacortes. It's a little pricey but very good!

Check out the flyers restaurant, I think you will like it and it is at the end of a reasonable ride out pioneer highway before coming home.

Ellie's at the Arlington Airport is good and so is the Stilly Dinner in downtown Arlington. The Blue Mountain Grill north of Wickersham on 9 is good for lunch and dinner.

The Train Wreck in Sedro Wooley is a pretty good joint for breakfast. Right next to the train tracks. Can be crowded, you have been warned.

Sad to hear about the Iron Skillet...(Great Grub, Lousy Service). It has been about six years since I was there but the Rhododendron Cafe on Chuckanut Drive and Bow Hill Road, was a small but awesome eatery. If y'all ever get enough doldrums accumulated to make a longer trip for doldrum relief, Thompson Falls, Montana is the home of Minnie's Montana Cafe. But if it is winter that brings the doldrums, you probably need to skip Minnie's until spring springs. Not many riders in Western Montana this time of year.

There used to be a good breakfast place on old Hwy 20 just west of My. Vernon and for lunch the fried oysters and blue burger at the Conway Tavern was one of my favorites.
Are you thinking of the Valley Café? Corner of SR 20 and Avon Allen Rd. They closed a few years ago when the state rebuilt that intersection as part of the whole I-5-SR 20 renovation. Nobody ever left that place hungry. Used to stop there for breakfast on the way to go hunting or backpacking.