My new FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been a member of this forum for a long time, but mostly read other posts about maintenance, etc. On October 17, I traded my 04 FJR that's never had a wrench turned on it except for maintenance for a 2018 1300ES.

All I can say is WOW. Why did I wait so long? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Cruise control alone was a good enough reason to trade. All the other goodies, ABS, TCS and adjustable suspension just made it better.

I have only one question right now, does Yamaha honestly call a screw driver and an allen wrench a tool kit? I know you have to have some good tools, and I do, but my old bike had a pair of pliers, spark plug wrench and a few other items that could be used if necessary,

The first thing I've done is install a K&N filter. I'm sure more will follow.

Congrats on the new ride!
punk.gif

Congrats on the new bike! I really like the look of the matte finish - looks fantastic in bright daylight IMHO.

I was thinking about a new one to replace my high miles '07 but I got too good a deal on a used 2011 instead. I'll just wait for the NEXT generation.

(Never a fan of the K&N air filters. No power gains to be had and I'm not convinced that they remove particulates as well as OEM.)

Congrats on the new bike! I really like the look of the matte finish - looks fantastic in bright daylight IMHO.I was thinking about a new one to replace my high miles '07 but I got too good a deal on a used 2011 instead. I'll just wait for the NEXT generation.

(Never a fan of the K&N air filters. No power gains to be had and I'm not convinced that they remove particulates as well as OEM.)
I agree on ^^^^ comment about K&N air filters.

I went from the very awesome 2003 to the new 18 and put on 23,000 km this summer.

Pros;

- Electronic suspension rocks

- Heated Grips

- Redesigned fairing offers much better protection

- Cruise control is neat

- I find the two power modes useful

- Anti lock brakes are nice

- Lighting is exceptional

- More juice for electric goodies

- The matte paint looks sweet when all cleaned up

- Traction control allows for more stupidity in less than ideal conditions

Cons;

- The seat plan sucks

- Still not convinced that I see the 6 speed trans as an improvement

- Be careful with the matte, theres no buffing out little marks

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I went from the very awesome 2003 to the new 18 and put on 23,000 km this summer.
Pros;

- Electronic suspension rocks

- Heated Grips

- Redesigned fairing offers much better protection

- Cruise control is neat

- I find the two power modes useful

- Anti lock brakes are nice

- Lighting is exceptional

- More juice for electric goodies

- The matte paint looks sweet when all cleaned up

- Traction control allows for more stupidity in less than ideal conditions

Cons;

- The seat plan sucks

- Still not convinced that I see the 6 speed trans as an improvement

- Be careful with the matte, theres no buffing out little marks

Canadian FJR

On the cons, I hope Yamaha does not continue with matte paint. I would like to buy one more FJR before I retire from riding but i will not buy one with matte finish.

Congrats on the new FJR!!! Yes, there has been a significant amount of refinement over the years.

Funny how these things go though. I have a '16 ES, a '14 ES, an 09, and an old worn out 04. Yet these days I find myself primarily riding the 04 because I enjoy it more. Vista Cruise is good enough. Five speed is good enough. Sure, when I ride my '16 ES my brain tells me what a cool bike it is because of all the features, improvements, and refinement, but I simply enjoy my old worn out 04 more and really don't miss that other stuff. I'm getting old. Brain must me going to mush.

Congrats on the new FJR!!! Yes, there has been a significant amount of refinement over the years.
Funny how these things go though. I have a '16 ES, a '14 ES, an 09, and an old worn out 04. Yet these days I find myself primarily riding the 04 because I enjoy it more. Vista Cruise is good enough. Five speed is good enough. Sure, when I ride my '16 ES my brain tells me what a cool bike it is because of all the features, improvements, and refinement, but I simply enjoy my old worn out 04 more and really don't miss that other stuff. I'm getting old. Brain must me going to mush.
That's why I have a pristine 04 with 19k sitting in the garage. I like the simplicity of the gen 1, it works with my simple mind.
punk.gif

Congratulations on the FJR. I had an 05 and traded it in on Goldwing in 07 because of the heat and I could not get used to the riding position. 10 years later I took the plunge on a 16 ES and it is the best bike I have ever had. I went with the Yamaha comfort seat and larger windshield. This version didn't need bar risers for me, it just fits..

The only con I have is it feels like my right knee is bent more than my left knee. Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I have a pristine 04 with 19k sitting in the garage. I like the simplicity of the gen 1, it works with my simple mind.
punk.gif
Where do you live? That pristine 04 might just disappear in the future......

punk.gif
Yeah, and it has a gen2 shock on it so it isn't pure.
smile.png

That's why I have a pristine 04 with 19k sitting in the garage. I like the simplicity of the gen 1, it works with my simple mind. :punk:
Yeah, and it has a gen2 shock on it so it isn't pure. :)
Shock is still in the box. I've been lazy.

Good luck with the new bike. I traded my 2006 for a new ES back in 16. The old one didnt last one day at the dealer. A mechanic bought it as soon as I brought it in. Ride it in good health.