K1600 interesting read

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warpdrv

Reaction score
After going out on a super fun long ride with a buddy who just bought the new 2018 bmw 1200 gs - cool bike and features..

Every now and then I get bored, and like to scour and do homework on a replacement sport touring bike that sits in the garage next to my FJR and the FZ09.... I am on my second FJR and I love it - though always thinking the grass might be greener idea...

If there was to be any bike that would trip my trigger - I'd say it would be the BMW K1600GT.... I like the looks of it, have read some great stuff about it, so I go over to the Bmer forum to read stuff and learn - perhaps I have too much time on my hands - but came across this thread, and it was incredibly enlightening about the K1600 model....

If you have a spare bit of time - its very interesting....

K1600 Left Pull issue...

I first found this thread...

https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-general-discussions/184682-bmw-delinquent-complying-court-order-still-no-check-bmw.html

Then it lead me to search his posts and find the original. This is the interesting read..... aside from the KOOL AID people in the thread - It does get pretty good....

https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-general-discussions/183802-court-orders-bmw-buy-back-k1600-left-pull.html

BMW may build great bikes but their customer relations suck...I started reading about their stonewalling customers in the '90's over the surging problem the twins had.."you are not riding the bike right". Same thing with the clutch problems and the final drive problems.. No way would I give BMW my money..

Interesting thread, especially towards the end when the OP tells his findings as to what he found out in his investigation. When he talks about "the worker tightens the bolt into the engine thru the frame, and the frame shifts to one side." Yikes!

It's like framing an off square house. The drywall, flooring, doors, etc. are all tweaked. Result, less than ideal house.

I've been that "worker" at many similar jobs and brought such issues to boisterous attention to those that I thought could fix the problems encountered. Sometimes to no avail. It shouldn't happen but unfortunately it does.
upset.gif

You can polish a terd, but at the end of the day you can still smell it.
smile.png

Geometry doesn't have to be off very much for a "pull" to be a significant issue. I had a (relatively minor) problem with a 2002 used Yamaha Royalstar Venture I had for a couple of years. I tried everything and had service guys look at it. While they agreed that it wasn't normal, they had no suggestions for me. I finally found the issue and fixed it - the rider seat was missing one of the rubber supports which made me lean a bit to one side even though I wasn't really aware of it. Replaced the rubber bit and the bike straightened out!

Unfortunately, I think the BMW likely has a more fundamental problem without any easy solution. Don't know whether this is really an issue for the high percentage of owners on that forum or not. On one hand, some of them say it is problematic on half or more of the K1600's out there and on the other hand, some discuss the fact that they had it on two of their previous three bikes! WTF - if they had a "pull" that the dealer couldn't fix, why did they buy another one (or two)!! How bad could it be?

For all that BMW owners seem to complain bitterly about a host of real (or imagined) issues, they seem to keep coming back for more! What do they put in the Kool-Aid, anyway?

I recently purchased a 14 K1600GT sport and I really dig the bike. The bike handles and performs really well. I have put 8000 miles on it so far and outside of needing to replace a coil, I have had no issues with it

So today I decided to go for a ride and a nice straight road and take my hands off the bars and sure enough it did pull slightly to the left. I didn't notice it right away but I found my body intuitively compisating for it. Its not the big deal that some are saying and it doesn't change my view of the bike. I also ride a 15 RT and a 16 RS and the GT is my favorite bike now.

My suggestion is to keep your hands on the bars like you are supposed to and enjoy the ride.

I think the OP spent way too much time, dollars, and frustration taking on BMW when he could have resolved it with the dealership by test riding the bike before he accepted delivery given that he (claimed) had given the dealership written instructions that he did not want a K1600 that pulled to the left. If it pulled to the left that badly then it should have been obvious the day he bought it.

I think they should all just accept their BMWs the way they are delivered and be happy. There is nothing better than BMW. No one has engineers, mechanics or motorcycles as good as BMW. The fact that anyone would have the nerve to try to make a wonderful corporation like BMW admit a problem is ridiculous. To have the nerve and the stupidity to suggest that a motorcycle that won't go in a straight line is a safety issue really pisses me off greatly.

I cannot express my hatred of anyone that would actually be willing to try to get a safety or rideability issue fixed and acknowledged by a large corporation. This guy should have just bowed his head and accepted what BMW sold him.

I agree completely with the Dedicated BMW Faithful. Just ride it and be grateful that you had enough money to buy your membership in the Exclusive BMW Club. Remember there are no friends as good as those you can buy.

My favorite part was actually the guy explaining that because of the rounded profile of a motorcycle tire it will naturally climb up the crown of a road. And then they all accepted it. His logic may be correct but gravity sure as hell pulls mine downhill regardless of the physics of the tire/road interface.

I can remember when reading this forum made me want to own an FJR just so I could fit in with what seemed like a fantastic group of motorcyclists. Reading that BMW forum made me want to puke. To hell with BMW.