Dropped it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThwartedEfforts

Reaction score
Well...... my thumb hurts. Why my thumb hurts I don't rightly know, but I can explain the events leading up to it.

Came home as usual and stopped outside my house after hearing a pronounced 'clonk' over a pothole. I thought, I know, I'll lift my lid and pump the bars to see if I can recreate it. Yeah right.

Note that I'm at the edge of the carriageway where it's most cambered towards the kerb. I stood up from the seat, pushed the bars down a couple of times and they turned left as I pushed. They then felt heavy on the arms. Very heavy. I felt an enormous weight against my left leg and I remember thinking, what the bloodyhell am I achieving exactly?

I ended up pretty much stepping off the thing as it canted over, and in a fit of adrenaline fed annoyance picked it straight back up again after. In retrospect I'm really not sure what I was doing: being out of the seat meant the only contact I had with the bike was the bars, which as we all know have a tendency to move.

Have a slider at the front with an impressive dink in it, plus an ugly scratch down the left pannier. One upside: AE/AS variant means no clutch to bend.

Please tell me I'm not the only one to lapse into occasional madness
fool.gif

Some of us live in a constant state of madness. Mine is generally self inflicted. I made it over 100k before dropping the FJR but the wing seems to have a mind of it's own but at least it has built in protection
uhoh.gif

Well...... my thumb hurts. Why my thumb hurts I don't rightly know, but I can explain the events leading up to it.
Came home as usual and stopped outside my house after hearing a pronounced 'clonk' over a pothole. I thought, I know, I'll lift my lid and pump the bars to see if I can recreate it. Yeah right.

Note that I'm at the edge of the carriageway where it's most cambered towards the kerb. I stood up from the seat, pushed the bars down a couple of times and they turned left as I pushed. They then felt heavy on the arms. Very heavy. I felt an enormous weight against my left leg and I remember thinking, what the bloodyhell am I achieving exactly?

I ended up pretty much stepping off the thing as it canted over, and in a fit of adrenaline fed annoyance picked it straight back up again after. In retrospect I'm really not sure what I was doing: being out of the seat meant the only contact I had with the bike was the bars, which as we all know have a tendency to move.

Have a slider at the front with an impressive dink in it, plus an ugly scratch down the left pannier. One upside: AE/AS variant means no clutch to bend.

Please tell me I'm not the only one to lapse into occasional madness
fool.gif
You're the only one. This has never before happened in the history of the FJR
rolleyes.gif

Yup BTDT. Rolling my gen1 out of garage after a few adult beverages foot slipped on garden hose and over she went pinning me between the bike and a metal shelving unit. Shelf rocked back dumping all its contents on me. Was stuck for quite a while until i figured out how to get bike off me! I blame the entire incedent on the beer

All bikes like to take a nap from time to time..... It happens....

But that is the reason I bought the Canyon cages and sliders that mount to it.... Especially when I saw what the cost of damage to the front nose assembly to replace, when the mirrors snap off...

Was worth every penny when I dropped it / I mean it took a nap.....

PJF_6224_zps1bb5c1df.jpg

They honestly just disappear - and are so nicely made to cover the occasional nap....

Sorry for the blurry pics

IMG_20150404_162422_zpssccerqcc.jpg

IMG_20141226_122038_zpsavj5airc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Have a slider at the front with an impressive dink in it, plus an ugly scratch down the left pannier. thOne upside: AE/AS variant means no clutch to bend.

Please tell me I'm not the only one to lapse into occasional madness :fool:
Wait until you forget to put the side stand down. :evil2:

No you’re def not the only muppet to own the pinnacle of motorcycles.

Tried leaning mine over while astride in the garage, looking behind to check if the top case would clear the garage door rail...........cleared it alright and just kept going, throwing me off in the process!

They chicks dig scars. You're about to find out if that's true.

Dropped mine a half-dozen times. Last time was probably 3 weeks ago ... after 70,000 miles of ownership. Kind of embarrassing. Not enough to make me stop riding this heavy girl, though.

You dropped the bike on your thumb?!

I've never dropped a bike at a standstill before, but it's occurred to me that this one might be the first. Lots of weight, and much of it on top.

All it takes is a shoestring to catch on the side stand. Don't ask me how I know. (After only a week of ownership). Very little damage to bike, massive damage to my ego.
And just once!
pinch.gif
After that every time I straddle a bike while wearing laces they're double-knotted and securely tucked. Amazing how that stays with you after all these years.

Thanks for all the replies. Last dropped a bike in 1990-something and just felt a right pillock.
I just learned me a new word.

All it takes is a shoestring to catch on the side stand. Don't ask me how I know. (After only a week of ownership). Very little damage to bike, massive damage to my ego.
And just once! :pinch: After that every time I straddle a bike while wearing laces they're double-knotted and securely tucked. Amazing how that stays with you after all these years.

Thanks for all the replies. Last dropped a bike in 1990-something and just felt a right pillock.
I just learned me a new word.
From OxfordDictionaries.com:
Definition of pillock in English:

pillock

NOUN

British informal

A stupid person.

'a complete pillock!'

Origin

Mid 16th century: variant of archaic pillicock 'penis', the early sense of pillock in northern English.

There are two sorts of motorcyclists. Those who have dropped their bike and those who are going to drop their bike.

Lee R. posted: ... I've never dropped a bike at a standstill before ...
The FJR is quite easy to drop at a standstill. Make sure there's something under your feet when you stop. When you expect to touch pavement/ground/concrete and there's nothing there, you'll be wrestling that bike to the ground and feeling like a LEFT pillock.
coolsmiley02.gif

I don't worry about dropping her any longer, except to get my feet, legs, and hands untangled as she goes down.

Gravity is a cruel mistress. I dropped my FJR the day after I just added front sliders. The event occured when coming down the steep hill I lived on, I tried to make a U turn up the curb to my driveway and back up the sidewalk. Was in first, feathering the clutch when all forward momentum ceased.

The bike simply began to tip over and my one attempt to save it was destroyed by my left foot touching down on a marble sized rock, just round enough to roll my ankle to the outside and let the weight of the tipping motorcycle attempt to break said ankle. Involuntary action on my part picking up my foot to avoid this was all Miss Gravity needed to pull me and the bike over on its side.

Same basic damage to the bike as yours, scratched side case and gouges in slider. Thumb was fine but ankle slightly sprained, which made raising the bike back up to starting position impossible for me. Luckily a neighbor witnessed the horror and came over to assist in picking it up.

Thereafter I changed my return route to home so I'd be riding up the street instead of down, thus removing the need for the U turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW - the Canyon Cages + Slider prevented any damage to my bike when dropped - and it has taken a couple naps in the last few years...

Just scratches on both slider and the bottom of the cage....

God those things are fugly Warpdrv! Just kidding! Probably a good investment.

Dropped mine with my GF on board just to see if she was a keeper. It all worked out well. LOL!