Super Tenere Recall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pterodactyl

Reaction score
I received notice today from Yamaha that my 2012 Super Tenere is being recalled. I sold it over a year ago, but thought I would alert other ST owners in case you are overlooked.

The recall is for 2012 and 2013 XTZ12 Super Teneres.

The reason for the recall is: it is possible for a gap to open in the joint of the wires connecting the accelerator position sensor and the throttle position sensor to the ECU. The gap can allow moisture to to enter and corrosion to take place. The throttle may go all whacka-doodle and bad things will happen.

You should avoid riding the bike except to a dealer.

Questions? Call 1-800-962-7926

I received notice today from Yamaha that my 2012 Super Tenere is being recalled. I sold it over a year ago, but thought I would alert other ST owners in case you are overlooked.
The recall is for 2012 and 2013 XTZ12 Super Teneres.

The reason for the recall is: it is possible for a gap to open in the joint of the wires connecting the accelerator position sensor and the throttle position sensor to the ECU. The gap can allow moisture to to enter and corrosion to take place. The throttle may go all whacka-doodle and bad things will happen.

You should avoid riding the bike except to a dealer.

Questions? Call 1-800-962-7926
I always ride with a couple of fingers on the clutch ( remember the two-stroke twitch?) and a couple on the front brake lever.

Alrighty...for any hesitant Tenere owners. Dropped my '12 off at the local dealer yesterday for the recall. Got a call this morning that it was done and ready to go. Since the dealer's only about 10 minutes from home, I stretched out the return trip to an hour to check out the work. Same tractor, so all is well!

Mine was the third recall performed by the dealer. With each one completed, they're learning more and figuring out the tricks of the install. Speaking with the tech, he reports the recall is not for the faint of heart and highly recommends having a experienced dealer perform the work. For anyone considering buying the harness and DIY...you've been warned!

~G

Last edited by a moderator:
Alrighty...for any hesitant Tenere owners. Dropped my '12 off at the local dealer yesterday for the recall. Got a call this morning that it was done and ready to go. Since the dealer's only about 10 minutes from home, I stretched out the return trip to an hour to check out the work. Same tractor, so all is well!
Mine was the third recall performed by the dealer. With each one completed, they're learning more and figuring out the tricks of the install. Speaking with the tech, he reports the recall is not for the faint of heart and highly recommends having a experienced dealer perform the work. For anyone considering buying the harness and DIY...you've been warned!

~G
Thanks for the notice. I think I'll wait a few months to have my recall done and let the dealer learn on someones else's bike.