2019 FJR Details Released

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 2018 and 2019 ES model pages are almost identical, though. Surely they're not shipping last year's model as this year's model.

Looks like they practice the KISS principle.... Keep it Super Simple (Stupid) .... old colors on a new bike.

Zero net cost for another model year. Like I said earlier... inventory reduction strategy.
sleepysmileyanim.gif

I swear that brand new model looks just like my '15 sitting in the garage, right down to the silver frame. I guess only the ES gets the blacked out treatment? And them also getting everyone pumped about the 700 Tenere just to say it'll still be another year?
mda.gif
How're the sales of those Eluders going btw?
fool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
At least they are marketing a 2019 FJR, so it's not dead yet. Even if it doesn't change, Yamaha has to commit to parts availability and support.

On the Canadian website they are only showing the ES model, but it is available in the matte blue and the dark grey. So the dark grey 2019 FJR will look identical to my 2016. The only difference I can see in the specs is the way the linked brakes work.

On the Canadian website they are only showing the ES model, but it is available in the matte blue and the dark grey. So the dark grey 2019 FJR will look identical to my 2016. The only difference I can see in the specs is the way the linked brakes work.
Hmmm... I read the Canadian website and under features it mentions that, unlike any previous FJR model, the front brake lever will activate the rear brake via UBS (Unified Braking System). It then mentions that the rear brake pedal will activate the front brake via UBS, which is how all previous FJRs with UBS have worked.
Curiously, there is no mention of this new feature on the US web site. This leads me to suspect that maybe somebody in the Canadian marketing group got it wrong, and there is actually no difference in the UBS for 2019. Considering that virtually nothing else was new for 2019 including the paint colors, Im willing to bet that the brakes work the same as always.

I'm an old shit with minimal tech IQ. When I press the rear brake pedal on my 2014ES does it also activate the front brake? When making U turns I use the rear brake only and never noticed any drag on the front brake.

I'm an old shit with minimal tech IQ. When I press the rear brake pedal on my 2014ES does it also activate the front brake? When making U turns I use the rear brake only and never noticed any drag on the front brake.
There's a threshold below which the front won't be operated. I would suggest it's most unlikely you will exceed that doing a U-turn.
In all my years of FJR riding, I've never known any down-side to the "back-to-front" linking.