Valve Cover Mystery Hole - What goes here?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
10% Rule. Whatever it is you are working on

YOU should be 10% smarter..

By the red arrow?

Mystery.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Camshaft position sensor?
It's a sensor of some kind. Fooled me self by cleverly hiding the wiring to protect the sensor.

Thanks Ross!
My first guess was camshaft position - changed reply to cylinder identification after looking at FSM. Couldn't find it (named as such) in an on-line parts fiche

Camshaft position sensor?
It's a sensor of some kind. Fooled me self by cleverly hiding the wiring to protect the sensor.

Thanks Ross!
My first guess was camshaft position - changed reply to cylinder identification after looking at FSM. Couldn't find it (named as such) in an on-line parts fiche. Found something they refer to as a "Speed sensor" that looks the same...

My first guess was camshaft position - changed reply to cylinder identification after looking at FSM. Couldn't find it (named as such) in an on-line parts fiche. Found something they refer to as a "Speed sensor" that looks the same...
For tach maybe? IIRC the sensor sits directly over a cam lobe.

Don, once you are finished with this project, know what you are doing and it is still relatively fresh in your mind, you should come for a visit and go through my bike. Just remember, all three conditions must be met before you start work.

According to the '06 service manual, the Cylinder Identification Sensor is on top of the cylinder head. It has three loom wires coloured Blue, White/Black and Black/Blue. The wires to the sensor itself are White, Blue/Yellow and Black/Blue.

The only "Speed Sensor" in the '06 Service Manual is for the YCC-S variant, it is buried in the back of the crankcase.

According to the '06 service manual, the Cylinder Identification Sensor is on top of the cylinder head. It has three loom wires coloured Blue, White/Black and Black/Blue. The wires to the sensor itself are White, Blue/Yellow and Black/Blue.
The only "Speed Sensor" in the '06 Service Manual is for the YCC-S variant, it is buried in the back of the crankcase.
My assumption is that the parts fiche is incorrect - I looked at fiche(s) from a number of suppliers (for non-AE model) and they all seem to identify the part as a speed sensor although the only speed sensor in the FSM is related to the YCCS. The Cylinder Identification Sensor is mentioned numerous times in the FSM.

Let's just call it a "sensor"!

I know, I'll unplug it and see what doesn't work
whistle.gif
I do not recommend that technique. We tried it when ole Aunt Betsy was in the ICU.... did not turnout well.... for Aunt Betsy.
Well, then again, many a FjrForum peep has *SERIOUSLY* recommended I part this old gurl out.

But I can't!

My goal is 1,000,000 miles on bikes *currently* in my stable.

And KrZy8 is a major player!