Throttle Position Sensor Tool

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Anyone have a source for a workable tool that can remove the lower security torx on the TPS?

I am NOT removing the air box and throttle bodies to get at it, but I'm a bit out of range.

I just did this about two weeks ago. T20 or 25 I believe? Cheapest way to go might be this from Sears although there's a whole bunch of other sets also. If the fairings are on you can remove a fastener or two and flex it out a tad. I was then able to place the torx bit onto the head and hold it in place by putting the tip of my finger between it and the frame. Holding it that way with one hand I used a 1/4" open end wrench in the other hand to turn it out. (I had some offset ignition wrenches which worked great here.) Same thing to reinstall. And credit to someone else here, for starting the torx on the install I cut about an inch of clear tubing and forced it over the head. With that I was able to turn it all the way snug by hand and once the values were set I just tightened it up using the finger and bit method again. EZ.

Edit: Just realized, this was all on a Gen III. Hopefully it'll give you some ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the '06 or the '13?

Can't remember a major problem with access on the Gen II. Seems to me I might have used a ratcheting bit-wrench but I'm too old to remember shit from five years ago! (Generally a very useful tool for spots where access is difficult.)

099198852324_ca.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^Yup, had that thread and suggestions in mind when I did the job. A big help and another nice contribution to this Forum's database.

I also have the torx bit with the hole in the middle however, if you take a very small punch/screw

driver, you can easily knock that center piece out(on the mounting screws). It'll snap off easily at

the base of the screw..

Opens up you possibility of tools you can NOW use..

Thanks for the replies. I have the correct size security torx but it's too long. Thinking about cutting it in half and see if I can get to the bottom screw. It doesn't help I have a big wiring loom running right there. So should have connected and tested before installing...