Let's see what jacket you're using.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDC

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new jacket. My current jacket is pushing 10 years old. It was a cheaper Olympia. It was a summer mesh with a waterproof winter liner. Elbow and back armor. It was a touring style, longer than typical waste style jackets.

I'm in SoCal, so it's not uncommon to ride in Dec/Jan with daytime temps in the mid to high 70's 80's +. But. Cooler night rides. A nice removable liner is a must.

I'm ready to upgrade to something nicer. My local gear shop didn't have a great selection. I did find a nice Tourmaster Transition 5, but they didn't have my size. Amazon is an option, but I hate buying without trying on.

What are some of your favorite jackets? Post pics and tell me the features you like.

Thanks all!

I still have those mediocre Tourmaster Transition 3 and Transition 4 jackets in my closet.

Considering upgrading my armor at some point in the future too, but neither of these jackets are so worn yet that I can justify spending real money - yet...

Rukka Airman for the summer.

Cordura AFT, breathes like a mesh without being a mesh. Has a zip in goretex liner also. D3O armor throughout. Plenty of pockets. 3/4 adventure length.

Klim Latitude 840D Cordura throughout for the winter.

Heavy duty, goretex layer built into the jacket. It is a heavy jacket for the winter with lots of protection from the elements and the road. Adventure length, plenty of pockets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be too heavy for SoCal,

Rev'it Sand 3, upgraded the armour to 3DO back and elbows.

Finding 'your' jacket is just as difficult as finding the 'right' windshield. Good luck.

-Steve

Joe Rocket mesh with liner; wear summer and winter (Charleston, S.C.). With layers, good to the lower thirties.

Fieldshear mesh for commuting in the summer and First Gear Kilimanjaro for everything else. I had a Joe Rocket at first but prefer the build quality of the Fieldsheer.

My key wants are a weather resistant shell and a removable liner. I don't want the liner to be the rain barrier because that leaves the shell wet (and often cold in the winter). I want vents that can be opened and closed (summer and winter) to manage air flow to slow dehydration in the summer and maintain warmth in the winter.

I only use mesh on short trips because air flow can't be managed and the hot wind will wick away the sweat so fast it can't do its job while speeding up dehydration. Work commutes are the main exception since they are short rides.

I also prefer 3/4 jacket so the small of my back isn't exposed when leaning forward.

Depends. I have several jackets. Joe Rocket Textile Corona Racing jacket with removable liner for 60- 75 temps, Fieldsheer Aviator with liner for 30-50 degrees, Unkown heavy Leather with liner for 40-60 temperatures, Firstgear mesh (with waterproof liner I rarely use) and upgraded armor for 75-95 and a Motoport Kevlar mesh with liner for 60-80 degree days. (Also have matching mesh pants, along with a pair of Fieldsheer mesh pants and a pair of Tourmaster Titanium pants with insulated liner.

So "what I'm wearing" depends on the weather. Add a Tourmaster rainsuit and most conditions are covered. ;)

Having many brands and styles over the years, I currently have 3 Joe Rockets. My 'go-to' is an Alter Ego (black) jacket for spring, summer, fall. It has a zip off leather outer shell that reveals the inner mesh. This is my 2nd, as the first went through a minor low side and did it's job well. A Ballistic (red,white, black) textile for fall, winter, spring with an insulated chest inner liner has enough room for several layers inside for the mid-30's temps and up. And recently (because of a good deal) I picked up a Ballistic (red, white, black) half perforated leather and half mesh for summer. I don't have it any more, but the very best cold weather was a Frank Thomas waterproof breathable textile with matching pants. It had full insulated inner liners, nice.

Since your in So Cal I'd suggest you go to Chaparral Motorsports in San Bernardino. They have an enormous selection of jackets from most makers. You can try everything on and decide what you like. Their people are very helpful too. It's a long ride from OC but worth it.

https://www.chapmoto.com/

We both have older Revitt mesh jackets and Olympia pants with liners for summer. Liners don't work so well in a huge downpour (mesh soaks up a lot of water!) so we have Tourmaster rain jackets to go over the top for the gully-washers. Liners do work well for light rain, though and are great for cooler days. I use a Hind DryLine running jacket (left over from my earlier days) under the liner and over the Cycle Gear Heat Out base layer. Will probably go Olympia again. My brother-in-law and his pillion just bought Olympia to replace their Joe Rocket gear and love it.

Aerostich comes out when it gets colder or for trips like the CFR this year.

Klim Badlands Pro. Layer up or wear a heated jacket in the colder months. Vents really well for the dry heat we have here in California. Plenty of armor in all the right places, plenty of pockets, waterproof Gortex. While Klim gear is quite an investment, this stuff will last for years.

Klim Latittude Misano (NLA) is my go-to, all-season, all-weather jacket these days. But, Ive got a bunch of other stuff hanging in the closet. The Olympia mesh comes out in the heat of our brief summer. Its pretty versatile and hard to beat if you know the temps wont dip below about 50F. Olympia AST2 jacket is pretty versatile for a non-goretex but still all weather jacket. It gets unbearably warm though in mid summer heat. Also bought a used Roadcrafter Classic that hasnt seen much use by me yet. Hopefully will next year.

If I were in your locale I would look hard at a GoreTex shell type jacket like a Darien or Roadcrafter R3. You can always add layers underneath if you get cold, assumin* you buy one with enough extra room. And when you open the vents you get as much cooling as a mesh but more protection.

Like motorcycles themselves, the jacket you choose to wear is always a compromise. Just pick the one that fits your use the closest.

Had a chance to road test my new Firstgear jaunt from motorcycle gear. Rode over 100 miles, 35 to 45 degrees and it was great. Next time, I'm taking the liner out and using the gerbing, though. At $99 it can be a cold to medium temp jacket only.

I don't have any pictures, but I just upgraded my riding gear as well. I went with the BMW Ralley jacket and pants. They are a little on the pricey side, but I expect they will last a long time. I too had Olympia gear. There is no comparison to new pants and jacket.

Thanks for all the replies! Some of the jackets you all mention are great, but a bit out of my price range. I'm going to ride around to my local gear shops and try a bunch on.

I really liked the Tourmaster I found, but it was a bit too snug on the forearms. The rest of the jacket fit a bit large, so going up a size just for the arms would make the rest of the jacket way too big.

One of my local shops stocks a bunch of BILT gear. Any thoughts on that brand?

Bilt is the house brand of cycle gear. It is cheap and it is inexpensive.

I prefer to spend a little more for something that isn’t going to let me down later.

Latest posts