BMW s1000xr ridden to the max

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my wildest dreams, I could never ride anywhere near that ability. Nor if I could, would I do so - at least on a public street.

But I wish I had just a smidge of his skill and confidence to help me get out of a jam better. His precise control of the machine in every facet is so impressive to me.

Awesome skills, only in my dreams.

However, I did ride a S1000XR on a real nice twisty section of Hwy 49 last summer. I thought I knew what it was to be "riding on rails"...I didn't until I threw a leg over the XR. I have never ridden a twisty road so fast and so easily as the on the 1000. Too bad it's so buzzy in the handle bars, well that and I would end up in jail or worse if I rode one all the time. Hell of a machine.

Awesome skills, only in my dreams.
However, I did ride a S1000XR on a real nice twisty section of Hwy 49 last summer. I thought I knew what it was to be "riding on rails"...I didn't until I threw a leg over the XR. I have never ridden a twisty road so fast and so easily as the on the 1000. Too bad it's so buzzy in the handle bars, well that and I would end up in jail or worse if I rode one all the time. Hell of a machine.
I was on a ride in August with 6 other riders that covered Colorado and New Mexico...our "unofficial guide" was a guy from Denver that rode a S1000XR....none of us could keep up with him. My buddy told me that before he got the XR, we was riding a Kawasaki Zrex, and was no where close to being able to ride that well. The XR rider told me that when he got the BMW, his skill level improved drastically.

I'm a believer!
bike.gif

There seems to be only 2 complaints about the s1000XR

1. A really bad Buzz in the bars

2. A really light wallet after you purchase it. $21,000

There seems to be only 2 complaints about the s1000XR
1. A really bad Buzz in the bars

2. A really light wallet after you purchase it. $21,000
I test rode one a couple of years ago and was disappointed in the lack of low end power (it is supposed to be a dual purpose adventure bike) and a seat that locks you into one position...not something I would want to tour on or even do a long day ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to race motocross many, many moons ago so I could control a bike pretty well. Well, this was of the kind of guy, that when I was running as fast as I could, was getting lapped (by). Ha!

"For sale, low miles, adult ridden" ha ha ha
... Needs tires soon.

Gotta love 'truth in advertising'.

I loved the underwater shot! Wanted to see a fish go by in the background.

... Needs tires soon.

When I saw him perform he had a couple of bikes that he performed on. One was a F800GS on which he did most of the performance and had been using for quite a long time; three or so years if I remember correctly. His bikes are modified to permit doing some of his antics; things like multiple options for using the brakes and other changes that are probably not easy to detect. I remember thinking that F800 was doing well to stand-up to the punishment he dishes out. He had a S100XR that was fairly new to him that he also used.

Interesting that he kept a top box on when he made the video. Must have stopped for a picnic lunch.

I've had my XR for 3 years and love it. It's put the biggest smile on me for all the bikes I've had over the years. Finally had a chance to get back to the track and I believe I was just as fast on the XR as I was on the R1 ... but I don't have any empirical data. I took the XR on a 10-day tour last summer out to UT and had a blast on it. I was a bit surprised by that. I still enjoy hopping back on the FJR but it's nice to have options (along with my old DR650).

... Needs tires soon.

When I saw him perform he had a couple of bikes that he performed on. One was a F800GS on which he did most of the performance and had been using for quite a long time; three or so years if I remember correctly. His bikes are modified to permit doing some of his antics; things like multiple options for using the brakes and other changes that are probably not easy to detect. I remember thinking that F800 was doing well to stand-up to the punishment he dishes out. He had a S100XR that was fairly new to him that he also used.

Interesting that he kept a top box on when he made the video. Must have stopped for a picnic lunch.
Seems to me that the top box is actually part of the setup. Early on he's past vertical with the box scraping the pavement - I'm thinking that's a nice "wheel" back there that prevents him from looping it.

... Needs tires soon.

Seems to me that the top box is actually part of the setup. Early on he's past vertical with the box scraping the pavement - I'm thinking that's a nice "wheel" back there that prevents him from looping it.
I've stood up a bike like that in my early years of riding dualsports. Never on purpose and the landings were not quite the same.
uhoh.gif