First sport bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluemeany

Reaction score
I have never owned one , a super sport og any kind. I have maybe 100k miles in that last 15 yrs. Rode a bandit 1200, vstar 1300, fz1 ,fjr. I did 5 track days last year.i picked up a sv650 for 1200 and put alot of elbow grease and few cheap parts from ex race bikes to make it work. I am 6 3,225 . The sv is very upright and also my wife got her licence and took it.

I want add a supersport. I am not sure what I can get as there are so many..I like riding on the road some times and my track ride. I have not brought a new bike over 10 yrs . 06 fjr I got used a year ago.

I am.all over the place. Any input from people here. I have a back issue which causes sciatica. But I do karv mega a mixed martial arts a few days a week, walk a few miles everyday and lift low weight a few times a week. So healthy between flare ups.

I swing from duke 390 to triple 675 to r6 to zx6 to 1000 cc super sport... Not sure where to start .

Because I'm bias I will suggest something a bit more than a liter bike, but quite capable on the track (for fun) and the twisties, as well as, longer street rides. I have had 3 ZX14's since 2006. The first was new in 2006. After 38k miles on it I gave up riding (financial reasons) for several years. When I got back into riding I picked up a 2007 FJR1300A. They are great bikes, but it just wasn't for me, so I went and found a lightly used 2006 ZX14 and enjoyed riding again. Last year I picked up a 2012 ZX14r and now have two (2 is 1 and 1 is none). They are both setup pretty much the same.

A gen 1 (2006 through 2011) with low miles (less than 10K) should run in the 5-6K range. Pull the OEM exhaust off, replace it with a 4:1 carbon exhaust (will shave about 40-50 pounds), get the ECU flashed by Guhl's or Schnitz with a fuel map, set the triple tree down 3/4", and have Dave Moss setup the suspension. For a 540 lb bike they are rather nifty in the turns, missiles in the straights, and more comfortable for all day rides than many would think.

I'm a lot smaller than you, but I have larger rider friends who like the ZX14 simply because they don't have to fold up so much like on a sport bike or superbike. Just a thought for you. Others will have all kinds of suggestions. If you have any events in your area in the spring where manufacturers put their bikes up for test rides, that would be ideal for you to get a feel for the smaller bikes, even if you don't buy a new model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you offer more specifics about what you are expecting out of this bike? Race only bike? Twist bike that needs zero miles in the highway to get to the mountains? Also, what kind of track? Any drag racing? Road course with long straights?

I know a couple people that use the SV650 as a race bike. They make inexpensive dead nuts reliable platforms that can suit a large body like yours. They are fast enough, but not stupid fast that gets a new racer in trouble.

I am the same size as you and if I were in the market for a “sport bike” I would be looking at something like the GSX-S1000, a slightly detuned version of a GSXR-1000 (which is track bike with lights) that is made for real world riding with high handlebars and a humane siting position.

I am keeping the fjr. For touring and weekend rides .

The tracks here are not big . I think even on the sv650 I usually ride 3rd and in the straights go up to 5.

As the fjr stays .

This bike will be used for brisk rides , track days and in the winter maybe road trip with being on the bed of my pickup down south for some riding.

I am coming to a point financially to store he bike down south and fly and ride on weekends a few times without trouble and get it back to new england in spring for track and some street riding.

I paid 3800 for a 2006 fir with 5k last summer. I put 15k so far and I think it worth more to me then try selling so just keep it.

Keeping the fjr rules the zx out

My friend has a gsx1000 . He seem to love that thing on the track and street.

Gsx750 is another option.

Thanks for the input as this one topic I need some external input on. A 2017 r6 looks good as I been looking on. Review on them.

First thing? Test ride a new FJR with the throttle in 'sport mode'. Without the hardcases, it might be enough to satisfy your sportbike appetite. Mine will keep up with almost all the sportbikes through the north Georgia mountains.

I am keeping the fjr. For touring and weekend rides .
The tracks here are not big . I think even on the sv650 I usually ride 3rd and in the straights go up to 5.

As the fjr stays .

This bike will be used for brisk rides , track days and in the winter maybe road trip with being on the bed of my pickup down south for some riding.

I am coming to a point financially to store he bike down south and fly and ride on weekends a few times without trouble and get it back to new england in spring for track and some street riding.

I paid 3800 for a 2006 fir with 5k last summer. I put 15k so far and I think it worth more to me then try selling so just keep it.

Keeping the fjr rules the zx out

My friend has a gsx1000 . He seem to love that thing on the track and street.

Gsx750 is another option.

Thanks for the input as this one topic I need some external input on. A 2017 r6 looks good as I been looking on. Review on them.
With small tracks and short straights, a liter class supersport is going to mean more turning effort in the corners, and less TFO time to make up the difference, and the high burn rate on tires to boot. An R6 is the closest thing to a race bike out of the box and there are 100's of them available for sale that have already been sorted for the track, but you have to wring their necks on the street since they don't have any guts below about 10k rpm. I've been riding a ZX6R for a few years, but just bought a GSXR750 to get a few more ponies. They are very popular as track bikes as they are about the same weight as the 600's but with 20 more HP and a lot more torque.

If you have an idea to have a dedicated track day only bike, I'd highly recommend you look through the WERA classifieds - almost all of them there have been set up for the track, in various degrees of upgrades and various amounts (from zero to lots) of rash, and prices that go from $2000 to $30,000. You can buy Geoff May's 2017 ZX10R that he raced in MotoAmerica if you want to, or Taylor Knapp's 2015 R1, or a 10+ year old SV650 on the other end. The good thing about that board is that everyone there is a track day guy or racer, and as long as you buy from guys with lots of posts you have a pretty good chance of not being lied to about the condition of the bike.

https://forums.13x.com/index.php?forums/bikes-for-sale.48/

Here's one example of a nice looking '07 GSXR750 with all the right bits, for $4500 that has a clean title and the street tupperware. Be hard to go wrong with that one.

https://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/2007-suzuki-gsx-r-750-track-ready-clean-title.355582/

Try a middle weight 800 or so. Russberry speaks the truth about liter bikes, they are fast and fun but turning effort is high and they really want runway to be super enjoyable. A 750 or 800 would be fantastic. Stay around 400 lbs or so.

That would be KTM 790 Duke,

Found a 2000 R6s . Clean title . Penseke , racetech forks, jetted , full exhaust , new chain and sprocket , rearsets ,spare rims etc 2000$

2003 sv with 09 engine , suspension , rain tires , q3 and tone of acc 2500$

2006 cbrr 600 , too many track bling with street parts 3000$

I like the 2003 sv the best . The suspension is close to my weight and ergonomics setfor 34 inseam

The cbr 40 miles away the other 250 ... so road trip

If you have sciatica you may wish to avoid a CBR or R6. Target a naked bike with a wide flat bar and the ability to add adjustable rearsets. Otherwise youll be howling after a 100 miles.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Hudson" data-cid="1410718" data-time="1545610845"><p>

If you have sciatica you may wish to avoid a CBR or R6. Target a naked bike with a wide flat bar and the ability to add adjustable rearsets. Otherwise youll be howling after a 100 miles.</p></blockquote>

I agree. My current track bike is a 2001sv650.the leg room for my 34 inseam is tight. But I start trackday with a jog and yoga stretches . Last year I did a track day and even did a self defense class when it had a lot kicks and running .

The longest day on the tiny sv was 200.i do have the fjr for street riding .

Another black horse. A Kawasaki 650 2012 5 miles from my house for 1600

I rode a 2003 R6 for about a decade before getting my FJR. I agree with Hudson and others that at 100 miles, I was ready to get off. It's not a touring bike.

I think it's cool that the R6 has two personalities: Below 8K RPM it's a docile lightweight street bike and a credible commuter. Above 8K all hell breaks loose and it revs to 16K+! That glorious sound alone is worth the price! The acceleration and handling is addictive. I had little use for the upper gears, so when I needed a new chain and sprockets, I went with a -1,+2 gear set. Made more difference than I expected. I couldn't keep the front tire on the road in 1st under max acceleration. It was more bike than I had the talent or nerve to fully use. I wouldn't consider an R1 unless you really want the torque at lower RPM. The R6 insurance is also considerably cheaper.

The riding position is admittedly extreme. I have a neck vertebrae issue and the head-up riding position occasionally caused discomfort, but if the sport-bike experience is what you're after, an R6 has got it in spades at a decent price point.

Lots of suggestions here for bikes but not many are true sportbikes.

I just sold a Honda CBR 954RR. IT was an awesome narrowly focused sport bike that had 380 lbs of telepathic screaming power and 150 hp.

That riding position was good for a little over an hour before my right leg would go to sleep.

I'm 5'8" and 155 lbs and was cramped on it..

Your size is gonna be an issue finding one you can ride.

The 09-14 R1's are surprisingly comfortable to ride on street with a comfort seat and bubble windscreen. I think they added TCS in 2012. Plus you stay in the Yammie family.

I'm really liking the FZ-10 or MT-10. Those, along with the Aprilia Tuono 1100 are at the top of my "want" list right now. The Tuono is simply mind-blowing.

But those bikes might be a bit much on the small track. While they are crazy fast with insane getup and go, they have more power than can be used most places.

I know the SV650 are common low-priced track bikes. I think I'd try to get a FZ-09 in its place, though. The earlier ones had lousy suspension and I think not great fuelling. Those issues were improved by 2016. 2017 and the MT-09 in 2018+ have the improved suspension and fueling. The earlier ones with suspension and a flash sometimes show up cheap.

As another option for a more upright position I also like the Triumph Street Triple. Or for more power the Speed Triple. The Speed, as I understand it, offers a lot more than the Street but isn't as bananas fast as the FZ10 or Tuono, and probably about as fast (definitely more fast up top) as the FZ-09 without as much of the crazy hyperactive hooligan element. I has a Speed for a while and would like another, if I wasnt so captivated by the first two bikes I mentioned.

I think I would also avoid the R6/R1 or any other bike with similar riding style. My preference.

OH! I almost forgot. The gen2 FZ1 (2006) and up are also awesome! Lighter than the fjr. Maybe a bit too sport touring for you still. But I just bought a 2007 with LOTS of tweaks for pretty cheap. I have R1 suspension, a flash and PC3, Mivv exhaust, and some other goodies. With a 16 tooth sprocket on the front it winds up fast and long and will eat the new Yamaha triple's lunch! :)

Edit: Just realized you said you had a FZ1 and a few other "non" suoersports but are interested in a supersport. I guess that considered I'm liking a R1, or a Tuono 1100 if you want to spend some money, or the Street/Speed or FZ09 for a fast sporty more upright lightweight. :)

My wife traded her SV650 for an FZ-07. She loves the FZ-07, and so do I -- but it's not a purebred track bike.