Favorite Unicorn Pants?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekiM

Reaction score
I saw the jacket thread and it included some pants recommendations too.

Not looking for a 1 piece solution...

That said...

I have several jackets and a pair of mesh pants with 2 liners (rain and thermal). Sounds good but not "practical or comfortable. I'm thinking an overpant like Tourmaster Caliber or A* drystar Andes.

Jeans with a rain cover offer no armor. But having the option to wear jeans underneath offers more flexibility

Thus an overpant style seems most versatile and suited for a multi-state excursion into the unknown.

Waterproof, Warm when needed but cool as appropriate -> unicorn

Kinda 4 season if you will. Money isn't a limiting factor but bang for the buck is important.

I am open to other options though.

The online reviews become overwhelming.

I'm interested to hear what the proven favorites are.

I've been pretty happy with my AD-1 pants from Aerostich. Definitely waterproof, easily and comfortably goes over other pants if I choose, and armor can be increased if you'd like. And while not vented I find them none too bad in the heat, especially with proper base-layers.

I went with Tour Master Venture Air. I wanted something with armor and two separate liners that I could wear as an overpant in the summer in Texas. I don't wear them often. Mainly when it's going to be wet or below 40 or on road trips.

+1 for the Tourmaster Venture Air. I'm on my second pair, as the 1st pair has been successfully crash tested - another plus for this garment IMO. The windproof liner along with my medium weight synthetic long handles and a light weight pair of zip offs can keep me comfy down to 30 degrees, or even a little lower if it's sunny. Frogg Toggs over them if rainy.

It's a lot of layers. I find myself with the same options for my torso (med. weight synthetic base layer, wind proof liner, heated liner, etc). The truth is - it takes this much for me on a tour if I want to be comfortable. Often in the Spring or Fall tour, I have to plan for temperatures from 30 - 100. It's just impossible to choose one set of clothes that will stretch that temperature range. So I bring lightweight layers that give me options. And I can usually stay comfortable to ride. Besides - the FJR Sherpa will gladly tote the load.

Klim Latitude (goretex and armor) LDComfort base later works from 50F up to 105F (my highest tested exposure) below 50F I wear heavyweight Merino wool base layer under the Latitude.

I love not having to mess with rain gear.

I've tested this combo for nearly 100,000 miles, it works for me. YMMV

I'm liking my Klim Badlands pants...
punk.gif

Sorry to jump in on this topic, but I was wonder about the Klim stuff.

What was the decision point to go with the badlands vs latitude? What was the major selling point to you to chose that specific model?

Thanks!!

Matt

Sorry to jump in on this topic, but I was wonder about the Klim stuff.
What was the decision point to go with the badlands vs latitude? What was the major selling point to you to chose that specific model?

Thanks!!

Matt
I already had the Badlands jacket, and liked it...and I got both the jacket and the pants, from Alex (Black Hills Moto) for a great deal

Thanks for the feedback and recommendations.

I have a set of Tourmaster Venture Air pants. Sadly they have mysteriously shrunk in the waist...

The liner approach works pretty well until it rains beyond a sprinkle. Then the exterior can become sponge like.

The mesh option is nice for the summer trip though. In whatever I do, this purchase will accommodate an appropriate length.

Gravity has always kept my waist closer to my feet than for some folks (~30" inseam).

If they still fit I could get a rain overpant (frogg tog etc). Since I need "a larger size" , it seems that a truly waterproof shell make most sense.

The buy-in cost for true Gortex is beyond an impulse purchase. There are products that closely emulate the Klim Latitude in features for 1/2 the price. I am debating my spending comfort level. Sometimes the cheap b@stard in me has the louder voice but then the logical side kicks in and chants "get the full solution up front".

Herding unicorns is difficult

The kids don't need that extra $$$ in their inheritance.

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="vthokies03" data-cid="1409892" data-time="1543952128"><p>

Sorry to jump in on this topic, but I was wonder about the Klim stuff.<br />

<br />

What was the decision point to go with the badlands vs latitude? What was the major selling point to you to chose that specific model?<br />

<br />

Thanks!!<br />

<br />

Matt</p></blockquote>

I thought the Badlands was/were/are too heavy, too hot and too expensive. Alex cut me a good deal on a prior year model of the Latitude pants. I had to do some creative sewing to get the Zippers to match up in the back, but 100,000 miles later they are still good. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. I gotta do something too. My 2006 Kevlar Gear is long in the tooth. And cold in the winter months. No way around it.