Air Filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
Time for some winter maintenance on my 18.

Checking the air filter is royal pain in the ass compared to my old 2003.

They sure jammed a lot more stuff in there.

Canadian FJR

I was gonna offer that you were a lucky bastage [for having a shiny new 2018], but maybe I'll just put on my best Mona Lisa smile while I remember similar maintenance on my old girl (Gen 1).

sleep.png

Don't know how the '18 differs from the Gen II in that regard. Just be thankful you're not changing air filters in a GL1800 'Wing.

Don't know how the '18 differs from the Gen II in that regard. Just be thankful you're not changing air filters in a GL1800 'Wing.
True story. Sounds like you have been there.

I got some filter foam and made prefilters for the intake snorkels. I can service them through the glove boxes. Doesn't seem to have any effect on performance or mileage

True story. Sounds like you have been there.

I got some filter foam and made prefilters for the intake snorkels. I can service them through the glove boxes. Doesn't seem to have any effect on performance or mileage
Haven't done one myself but observed while a friend did his.

Guess I'll check the air filter during the next valve check. On my Gen 1, I bought a replacement filter and never used it - I was surprised at how clean the OEM filter was even after 70K miles. When I ordered parts last week, I was pleased to find out that the '14 part number for the air filter is the same as the '05. So I might as well use it.

What's fun is after the 15 minutes of (finally) pulling it out, it looks great but ya got that new one sitting there.... Do you put the old one back in or just throw the new one in??? I mean, I just went through all this BS to look at it and it looks great, but I don't want to do this again soon.... :) Arrgggggg

Other bikes ya just pop the seat off and undo the latch and you're out 30 seconds. Almost as much fun as changing a battery. Almost.

I mean, I just went through all this BS to look at it and it looks great, but I don't want to do this again soon....
smile.png
Arrgggggg
This sounds like a valve check to me.... good for your piece of mind.... and a few shinned knuckles.

I'll do the AF and the plugs this Spring.... along w/ the valve check @ 30k miles.

What's fun is after the 15 minutes of (finally) pulling it out, it looks great but ya got that new one sitting there.... Do you put the old one back in or just throw the new one in??? I mean, I just went through all this BS to look at it and it looks great, but I don't want to do this again soon.... :) Arrgggggg
I was finding that only one half of the filter had any dirt at all and it was minimal....so I turned it around and reinstalled it. I’m guessing that the dirt will be uniform over the entire filter when I replace it.

What's fun is after the 15 minutes of (finally) pulling it out, it looks great but ya got that new one sitting there.... Do you put the old one back in or just throw the new one in??? I mean, I just went through all this BS to look at it and it looks great, but I don't want to do this again soon....
smile.png
Arrgggggg
I was finding that only one half of the filter had any dirt at all and it was minimal....so I turned it around and reinstalled it. I’m guessing that the dirt will be uniform over the entire filter when I replace it.
I cut about 2/3 off the part that sticks into the air filter. Fixed that.