Death Valley Dualsport or Street ride January 23-27

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
Gregory, fJROB and I are hauling the dualsports down to Beatty, Nevada to ride the back country roads of Death Valley National Park. We would like to have other riders join us for fun, be it dirt riders or street riders as some of the best time is hanging with friends in the evening. DV is just an amazing place to ride, if you are planning on riding the dirt and have not been there here's a few tips.

Dirt bikes must be street legal and in good working order with fairly new tires. The park is HUGE and gas is not always around the corner, if your range is less than 150 miles you may want to consider a way to haul a bit of fuel with you. Robert and I are on 650's but Greg will be on his Africa Twin so we will keep the knarly stuff for another ride however riding the back country roads can be washboard rough gravel. A 50/50 tire or even more toward dirt is highly recommended for the loose gravel and a few sandy spots too plus a good skid plate is your friend. Be able to pack water (camel backs work great) and some food (jerky, energy bars etc) as we won't be close to restaurants during the day.

Our dirt riding will include Titus Canyon (Amercia's coolest road and we may do a night ride too) Tea Kettle Junction and perhaps the Racetrack before heading to Hunter Mountain and Panamint Springs for fuel around 160 miles. This ride alone is pushing 250 miles in total with about half on pavement. That's the thing about DV dirt riding is you have to string the back roads with the pavement so most days are high miles. I'm sure we will also ride to SkiDoo to explore the old mines and the Charcoal ovens on Telescope peak depending on the snow level. Westside road around Badwater are always fun. I'm also contemplating a ride up to Eureka Dunes from the Crater and to Big Pine for lunch and fuel. Return via Saline Valley road. As I mentioned the park is huge, plenty of places to ride.

For the street riders who may want to explore the backcountry roads (Titus canyon is a must see) there are Jeep rentals in Furnace Creek. Linky...... https://farabeejeeps.com/death-valley-rentals/

The weather...it is January so layers is the key to happy riding. Expect darn chilly temps in Beatty around freezing in the morning and mid 50's daytime, in the Park we may see temps in the mid 60's on the valley floor but it will be cooler with elevation. Rain is extremely rare but it could happen....I doubt it will.

Beatty, Nevada is the old west so lower your expectations and you will have a ball. Nothing real fancy but much cheaper than staying in the park with no cell service.

The Atomic Inn

350 S 1st St, Beatty, NV 89003

Phone: (775) 553-2250

I talked to Cindy the owner of The Atomic Inn and she has offered us a discount 60 for King room and 67 for double room plus taxes. You must call her direct and mention you are booking under the "FJR 19 ride" to get the discount. Online booking won't get you the discount.

We will roll in late Wednesday afternoon and ride Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Leaving for home Sunday morning.

We hope a few here can join us for the beauty of the desert and Death Valley It truly is one of America's finest parks . Feel free to hit me up with any questions or send a pm.I

IN

Gregory

Rick

FJrob

Gramps

Bugnatr

FJRay
Weluvbikn..Phil and Charlene

Russperry

Teacherman

Highlander

Abercrombie FJR

03Silverbullet

Last edited by a moderator:
Would have to trailer the White Whale but it's worth considering.
smile.png
The only thing I have that's dirt worthy is the side by side and it isn't street legal.

Damn it! I'll be busy with a new job but I could sure use a mid winter ride.
New job? How come all the guys who retire keep working when they should be riding....

You have a couple bikes that would enjoy Death Valley.
I have failed as a counselor, must be the poor example I have set over the past 14 years of retired bliss! JSNS

My house/dog/goat sitter is balking at the idea of the 60 mile round trip each day in the winter. Her car isn't the best for winter driving primarily because she "my daughter" doesn't take care of her shit. She wants to use my truck and that won't happen. The seat in my 55 Ford only fits one ass and it isn't hers. Looking at other options.

Who was the idiot with the the DL650 napping?

58479_430841814627_2396684_n.jpg

JSNS and
fuck.gif

Hugs n' Kisses

Hey there Bug! Happy New Year to you and Gayle
smile.png

This sounds totally cool. Speaking of cool, how heavily do you gear up for these rides? Gotta be pretty cold in the morning and evenings, like mid-20's, and maybe 50ish for highs?

Hey there Bug! Happy New Year to you and Gayle
smile.png

This sounds totally cool. Speaking of cool, how heavily do you gear up for these rides? Gotta be pretty cold in the morning and evenings, like mid-20's, and maybe 50ish for highs?
Yo Russ buddy, HNY to you! Expect morning lows around freezing in Beatty with afternoon high's in the 50's. However in the park it can be well into the 60's. I'll wear my old motorport street gear with some wind proofing underneath, perhaps a street helmet and a choice of heavy to medium gloves . Layers work well under the real pants and jacket.

Dress for cold weather and you'll be fine. Besides it's a dry cold so no big deal.
uhoh.gif

Way better than 120 in the summer.

Hope you can make it. Tuesday will be a Supermoon so we may have to do a night ride through Titus canyon too.
punk.gif