Texas is big - So let's travel to Meet Up for a group ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussRider

Reaction score
I am starting out the 2019 Year with a new 2019 FJR. I previously had a 2005 model but sold it a couple years ago and have been riding my FJ9. So my plan this year, after I finish adding some farkles and a top Givi case, I am ready to do some distance trips and Join-Ups.

I would like to do them with 2 or 4 people but sadly, I don't know any Sport Touring riders south of San Antonio and Austin, where I live. Fact is, I don't mind riding up to Austin, Kerrville or even The Woodlands to make a weekend of it. I am a member of the MSTA group and enjoy the annual Hill Country Rally in October. I may even try to venture to their other regional rides in the mid-west.

I am planning to put together and venture off on several separate trips to several directions: including Colorado, the Grand Canyon, Big Bend, Tennessee, the Carolinas and Georgia. No, not in the same trip!

I like to stay in hotels, not camp. I have also trailer-ed the bike to distant locations to save the riding for the hills and curves when I got there. So whether it is a 5 to 10 day adventure, or just a Saturday or weekend ride - I am interested in joining up with some other older gentlemen or ladies so I'm not just riding alone. Anyone? I'll ride with anyone that matches my style. I'm 58 and like to push it a bit.

Can you recommend any informal groups or contacts?

Morning!

Will be down your way later March and would love to have someone show me around the Hill Country!
punk.gif

Shoot me a PM with contact info as your post count is too low for me to PM you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put the EOM and SFO gathering on your radar - look for them in September. You can learn more about these gatherings on their respective boards on his forum.

Also, SEOR is in early May.

At any of these, youll find plenty of riders that like to push it a little, and then some.

Hope to see you in the road somewhere.

When you start planning for GA and NC, send me a PM. There are plenty of nice rides around here besides the Dragon and Cheroala ... but those two are well-known for a reason.

Welcome to the group!

Located in Houston and love riding my 18' ES all over. Planning quite a few rides this year.

Feel free to hit me up, if traveling this way.

Russ, I'm just north of Austin, in Leander, and you sound like my clone. 58, with an '07A and a '16 Honda GW F6B in the garage. I do 1-2 multi-state rides annually, and sometimes use my solo Kendon to get out of the state. My interest in camping is zero, did enough of that for the Army. I second the suggestion to join TWT, there is a monthly Pie Run; I was one of only 4 that made it to the November run to Junction:

https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads/pie-run-xi-isaacks-junction-11-17-18.118866/

I'm one of the ride leaders for a Meetup group called NAAME, and we try to get together a couple times a month.

https://www.meetup.com/North-Austin-Area-Motorcycle-Enthusiasts/

A couple of pics from trips on my scoots:

Windsor Ruins, Port Gibson, MS

bXQN4MYh.jpg

The Arches, Moab, Utah

gxeBX3wh.jpg

Shoot me a PM!

It's heart warming to hear from you guys. Thanks for reaching out.

I will keep in touch.

I will be in Austin on the 7th for a meeting and then try to do some riding in the Lake Austin, Lake Travis area east of Austin on Friday the 8th and Saturday the 9th. Hoping the weather is reasonable - otherwise will have to make the business trip via 4 wheels.

I am tempted to take my business suit in my Givi bag for the director's meeting - but look 'cool' pulling up by bike. Will chuckle at valet parking as they look at my ride!

So am wondering, FJR Commander, are you up to meet up Saturday?

Russ

I shot you back a reply to your PM; I get cut open for a right rotator cuff repair on 2/5, so will have my throttle hand in a sling when you come up, and for 6 weeks...