No more BaseCamp development

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=cmo7YxRdRB1DDl1JAWuEV8

Not sure if I'm just happy or ecstatic!

SNAP! Must have one of few Garmin devices to use Explore.

https://explore.garmin.com/Account/GarminUser

Garmin at its finest moments...

fuck.gif
Garmin

OR on your mobile device via Garmin Explore App

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved Garmin back when they first came out with road-based units that were weather resistant. It seems that after some of the early improvements (map to the curve of the road) they lost their way. "Lifetime" subscriptions to maps that ended when they orphaned the hardware and intentionally changed the data format of new maps was perhaps the biggest insult.

"Access to the Explore website requires one of the following devices:"

Looks like it works for limited device. Only works for hand-held devices. Good for walking home, I guess.

Maybe they're going full circle and after Explore they'll try yet another new app and call it MapSource?
wink.png

Meanwhile, I'm living an increasingly static life with S&T 2013...and say, "Oh! Snap!" regularly. I never could get to like BaseCamp.

Last edited by a moderator:
The initial rough trip plan for me is Google Maps. For a complex route, (especially cross-continent with a lot of waypoints), I like to play connect-the-dots using S&T. Eventually, the fine-tuning happens in Basecamp where the software uses the same mapset as my Zumo 6xx. I am sort of relieved that Garmin is no longer "developing" Basecamp - means they wont improve it to the point where it will no longer communicate with older devices.

Initial route planning for me is Theresa on the AAA mapping site. She uses the scenic and less traveled roads options between major points, then adjusts as seems appropriate. Haven't checked if I can import to MapSource. Pretty quick to put in key points, including hotels, and let MapSource do the rest.

I've been using Furkot for a couple of years now. It is fantastic for a free, web-based platform, and you can export trips into several formats for various devices. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I'm just a fan.